Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Little trip now vs wait for big trip?

Hi all,

We are Disneyland veterans who have a large (two week) Disneyworld trip planned for December of 2015. We also have a weeklong trip to Universal Orlando and Seaworld planned for this December. Yesterday the friend who is accompanying me on both trips suggested adding extra days onto this trip and getting a "taste" of Disneyworld. So we would do our first sixdays onsite at Universal, switching over to onsite at Disneyworld end of day six. Spend two days at one of the parks and fly home day nine.

Thoughts? Of course it would be exciting to get to experience WDW a year sooner than expected but I'm not sure if we would leave sad to not see it all. Or worse would it spoil the big build-up to next years trip? Or maybe I'm wrong and it would make planning the big trip much easier because I would have a better idea of what I'm in for? HELP! lol.

Money does not factor into the decision if that helps. Thanks for any input in advance

Re: Little trip now vs wait for big trip?

If it doesn't interfere with your longer trip in a year, I'd say go for it. I think it will make you so much more excited for the "real" Disneyworld trip in 2015.
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

You said money doesn't factor into your decision, so I say do it. December is exciting at Disney World with all the holiday decorations. You will get a sneak preview into using the new system being implemented at the Disney World parks. You don't say whether this is your very first trip to Disney World, or not. I'd recommend that you try not to do too much, during your limited stay there. Do your homework, and concentrate on a few things that you really would like to see and do. It will make your trip end so much better, and on a positive note.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

My opinion would all depend on what you would plan to do for those two days. If you try to cram too much in you may leave with a bad taste in your mouth as 2 days is not a lot of time to see much.. If you only do a limited amount of things as the person above mentioned I think it would be a great time. It will be a like a sneak peek for your trip next year and leave you wanting more and more.

Have fun! thats really what its all about anyways.
        Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
        Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Comment

From my understanding, this will be your first trip to "the World"? If that is the case....GO! It will give you a chance to get a "lay of the land" and help with your planning on your longer trip.

I will also second what other have said about not trying to cram too much into your short trip. It will take away from the experience...

Comment

also keep in mind depending what part of december you are going you probably wont get much done since this month contains some of the busiest park times of the year. pace yourself and as a land vet focus on unique attractions and experiences you couldn't get in cali

Comment

Why go to Universal and SeaWorld in the first place? You can see those in California. Use the 2 weeks now at WDW. Then come back next year and enjoy the magic all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverandLuna View Post
                So we would do our first sixdays onsite at Universal, switching over to onsite at Disneyworld end of day six. Spend two days at one of the parks and fly home day nine.
                Spend 2 or 3 days at USO, 1 at SeaWorld, and 4 or 5 at WDW. I would never go to USO for 4 or 5 days, there is only enough for a few days with the HP expansion. And SW is only a single day park. WDW is good for at least 5 days.

Goofy Donald has a good point about when in December. If the weeks including Christmas and/or New Year Day it's super crowded and takes more time if you want to do a lot of rides.

If you skip WDW, you will regret it. If you don't give yourself 4 days you may be sad you didn't give yourself time to see each park for a solid day.
                Be Cool Stay in School!
                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

The OP has planned this trip around spending a week at Universal Studios, onsite. I don't see the need to talk a person out of their original idea. The question was the validity of adding on a few days and spending that at Disney World. Sure, California has Sea World, but they don't have Harry Potter, at Universal.

A few days at Disney World can be a whole lot of fun. Personally, I think this is a great idea. I have been checking out the hotels at Universal myself. I want to return there next year, so that I can spend more time on all the Harry Potter stuff. The time I spent there last year was enjoyable. I think staying onsite would be cool, and a person could come and go at their leisure, the way people do at Disney World. The new stuff at Universal should be widely talked about by then. One should have studied up, and devised a plan in order to maximize their enjoyment of WWOHP.

Personally, I feel that staying onsite has it's advantages, whether it's Universal, or Disney World. Being a day guest, and staying offsite, just doesn't provide the same feeling to me.

I value MiceChatters opinions, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't try and change a person's mind about what has already been decided.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                    I value MiceChatters opinions, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't try and change a person's mind about what has already been decided.
                    Some times people make uniformed decisions, and need more information to make a better decision.
                    Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice! To clear a few things up, yes, this would be a first trip to WDW for both of us. A firsttrip to Florida, in fact. We were originally going December 3rd through the 9th expanding would have us there the 1st through the 9th. We are flying in from Seattle so both our fly in and fly out days are "relax" days that include pools and food, not theme parks. So if we do include WDW this is what our plan would be:

1 Fly in, relax
                      2. Universal
                      3. Universal
                      4. Universal
                      5. Busch Gardens
                      6. SeaWorld (move to WDW)
                      7. WDW
                      8. WDW
                      9. Relax, fly out

If we do go into WDW we will not be park hopping. Epcot by far interests both of us the most but we also thought it might be fun to try the Magic Kingdom to compare it to Disneyland. Either way if we did one of those parks we were thinking of spending both days with that choice. My friends favorite thing in all of Disneyland is Tower of Terror but we aren't sure if Hollywood Studios would have enough to do for two days.

We have also been lucky enough to get seating the last two years at the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland and it would be nice to do it at Epcot with (what sounds like) less of a hassle.

So anyways, hopefully that clears up our plans a little. I know I'm probably over thinking this but I'm a major planner and like to get all the info I can. Thank you again so much everyone and I look forward to any more feedback you may have!!

Comment

A lot of people say MK is a two day park, but having been to DL you will probably agree with me, that it hardly has anything to do. Epcot however is huge and takes a long time to explore, but does have few rides, and a lot of movies. Epcot is what I call a two day park when people can get past the rides and enjoy the theming.

I would go to MK and Epcot. I would avoid EMH and go to which ever doesn't have EMH, so you get lower crowds.

Have you done a lot of planning regarding Candlelight Processional? Being that Epcot is a great place to eat the dinging packages are of interest. Keep in mind though that you have to eat 3-4 hours before your show, so that could be lunch or mid afternoon and not normal dinner.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Epcot is fun at Christmas time. I remember all of the special holiday customs that were featured in each country. I did see the Candlelight Processional. If I remember correctly, you book the dining, and it gives you better seating for Candlelight. Not sure the procedure now. My holiday visit was back in 2007.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                            A lot of people say MK is a two day park, but having been to DL you will probably agree with me, that it hardly has anything to do. Epcot however is huge and takes a long time to explore, but does have few rides, and a lot of movies. Epcot is what I call a two day park when people can get past the rides and enjoy the theming.

I would go to MK and Epcot. I would avoid EMH and go to which ever doesn't have EMH, so you get lower crowds.

Have you done a lot of planning regarding Candlelight Processional? Being that Epcot is a great place to eat the dinging packages are of interest. Keep in mind though that you have to eat 3-4 hours before your show, so that could be lunch or mid afternoon and not normal dinner.
                            it all depends on what you really believe is the true park experience. if you just think its the same as six flags and you do all the attractions and go home then for sure i would agree its closer to a one day park though i would still need a day and a half at least with wait times. what separates MK and disneyland however is that MK has so much more to experience and explore. no question the attraction count is lower but being in a disney park isn't just about the attractions, its about the experience. i could easily take three days at the magic kingdom when factoring time in for the dining that simply isn't there at disneyland as well as the sorcerers game and exploring the shops and detail around the park etc. at the end of the day i guess its just more of a fundamental difference in how people vacation that relates how they view/enjoy the parks.

Comment

The OP is planning a two week vacation to Disneyworld next year, so I surmise that there are plans for spending multiple days in each of the parks. I myself, love the Magic Kingdom. I have a trip planned for August, and each of my days I have plans to be in the Magic Kingdom. I may not start out there, but I may end up there. For me, Disney World is not just about the rides. It is also a visual experience, and an emotional one. I just love being there. Magic Kingdom especially. I guess it might have something to do with my very first themepark visit back in 1997.

Magic Kingdom is compared a lot to Disneyland. For the record, I myself give the edge to Disneyland. However, the opinion that it takes less time, just does not compute with me. I love spending time there, and it's never a waste of that time.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X