X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark
    started a topic [Pictures] 25 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

25 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

Can you believe it? What are some of your memories of visiting this park? What do you think should happen in the future? I've posted a very long article on the history and future with all my vintage photos from May 1989, tons of concept art, and more. I've been to the park so many times over the decades. I really enjoy it- I just wish for more.

• Mondo Mouse
    replied
    Re: 25 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    After my first trip there in 1990, the Animation Tour was my favorite part of the park, and one of my favorites for the resort. The dialogue and quips of Robin Williams were fantastic, and still memorable. So I'd love to see something as cleaver and smart as they used to have. Now with the introduction of CGI, which didn't exist back then, there's certainly a lot they can add to update it. That humor and showmanship really seperated it from Universal's presentation, IMHO.
    YES EXACTLY, on both points!

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied

After my first trip there in 1990, the Animation Tour was my favorite part of the park, and one of my favorites for the resort. The dialogue and quips of Robin Williams were fantastic, and still memorable. So I'd love to see something as cleaver and smart as they used to have. Now with the introduction of CGI, which didn't exist back then, there's certainly a lot they can add to update it. That humor and showmanship really seperated it from Universal's presentation, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^The full hour and half version though?
    It was two hours, lol. And YES, i'd much rather have that version than the current one. Even if they trimmed it down to one hour, I'd take it. The current version is a joke.

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

^The full hour and half version though?

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied

Originally posted by disneygirl View Post
    I really miss the animation studio and back lot tour too.
    They need to bring these back!! It IS a studios park for crying out loud!

Leave a comment:

• disneygirl
    replied

We still call it MGM studios. In 1995, my high school marching band marched in a parade at MGM. So the park has special meaning to my husband and I. I really miss the animation studio and back lot tour too.

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

^I guess its open to debate just what films would qualify, but I'd imagine that there are some in all that time that are modern classics and are worthy of an AA scene.

And, of course there's an obvious reason as to why they've not done it. The rights. You know that they'd be adverse to paying out for anything that they don't own now, so that whittles down the potential candidates straight away.

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    OK, so I had to be a total nerd and look it up lol... and surprisingly Raiders came out in '81 and Alien in '79, but you are right - there are 33 years worth of films that aren't represented (in AA form at least).
    I always thought of the Great Movie Ride as a salute to classic Hollywood films (Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc), and included some films (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien) which by the time the park was opened in '89 had established themselves as "modern classics." I personally don't think it would be right if they had films represented that came out in the more recent past.

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

Found a clip on YT, have to say that its probably the weaker of the two scenes anyway, so we're not missing much.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    There isn't multiple versions of the Great Movie Ride. It is always a mobster. It is even always the same script. The driver's favorite genre of movies will always be horror for example.
    You are incorrect. The ride has two different scenes the CM acts out.. the mobster scene or a western shootout. If they are running both is an operational decision that varies based on crowds and as a rider you will only get one or the other.. not both on the same ride through.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 05-06-2014, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Apparently there's also a cowboy/cowgirl version for if lines are running too long- I know someone who says they've been on that version.
    Thank you! I was going to ask about that in the post above, but thought I'd dreamt it!

I presume that room must still be there.. seems a bit of a waste.

But yeah, I can see how the ride is seriously dated for younger people. What's the most recent film on there? Alien?
    OK, so I had to be a total nerd and look it up lol... and surprisingly Raiders came out in '81 and Alien in '79, but you are right - there are 33 years worth of films that aren't represented (in AA form at least).

Leave a comment:

• Jabroniville
    replied

Apparently there's also a cowboy/cowgirl version for if lines are running too long- I know someone who says they've been on that version.

But yeah, I can see how the ride is seriously dated for younger people. What's the most recent film on there? Alien?

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

Has the TGMR ever received any changes (save for the finale montages)? Its surprising that they've never felt the need to tinker with it in 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyNerdTom
    replied

Cool stuff! I only went for the first time last week, but was really impressed! How many different versions of The Great Movie Ride are out there? On ours, a mobster took over the tram for a bit.

I dug Fantasmic, but I like DL's version better since it's on the island and has two great boats come out- the Columbia & the Mark Twain.
    There isn't multiple versions of the Great Movie Ride. It is always a mobster. It is even always the same script. The driver's favorite genre of movies will always be horror for example.

Reguardless, I still love that ride and is always a must do when I am at the studios.. I wish I was there right now! lol

Leave a comment:

• Jabroniville
    replied

Cool stuff! I only went for the first time last week, but was really impressed! How many different versions of The Great Movie Ride are out there? On ours, a mobster took over the tram for a bit.

I dug Fantasmic, but I like DL's version better since it's on the island and has two great boats come out- the Columbia & the Mark Twain.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyNerdTom
    replied

Originally posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    I went back when it was MGM Studios and saw Fantasmic! I was not that impressed.
    Even though Hollywood Studios is one of my absolute favorite parks I am not a Fantasmic fan either. Its too far away and since my family like to sit close to the bottom I get misted from the water and I don't care for that.

Ahh well I know I am a minority on it.. I would rather see Illuminations.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied

I really miss the old Backlot Tour, especially the animation department, that was such a blast. I also love the feeling I used to get when I went to Disney/MGM Studios when I was young and walked around Hollywood Boulevard. This used to be my favorite park at Walt Disney World.

Leave a comment:

• The Disney Ninja
    replied

I went back when it was MGM Studios and saw Fantasmic! I was not that impressed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X