Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

RoA Drydock and water level questions

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] RoA Drydock and water level questions

Where is the RoA drydock? I've looked at Google Maps and can't find it. Logically, it could be outside the RR backstage to the west, but that would mean the RR bridge would have to be moveable.

I see that the water of the Seven Seas Lagoon is connected to the RoA. And I think I see a lock system backstage. Is that correct? And can that bridge near the lock be raised?

Sorry for the WDW newbie questions. I know Disneyland like the back of my hand, but I'm sadly lacking in WDW details.

Re: RoA Drydock and water level questions

You can spell out Seven Seas Lagoon but then use RoA. What the heck is RoA?

Comment

Rivers of America

Comment

The dry docks are near the central shops... off to the NE side of the Magic Kingdom and at the north end of Bay Lake.

The ship needs to go through the canal and locks on the west end of the RoA to get to the seven seas lagoon and then pass over to the Bay Lake side. They are towed through this and require some disassembly to make it under the monorail beams.

The rail bridge also needs movement for this to happen, but I can't find any references to how that is accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
          You can spell out Seven Seas Lagoon but then use RoA. What the heck is RoA?
          Haha, I write the name "Seven Seas Lagoon" once a year (and does it even have a common acronym?). But I use the term RoA regularly and it's a well-known acronym for Rivers of America (at least on the West Coast ).

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          The dry docks are near the central shops... off to the NE side of the Magic Kingdom and at the north end of Bay Lake.

The ship needs to go through the canal and locks on the west end of the RoA to get to the seven seas lagoon and then pass over to the Bay Lake side. They are towed through this and require some disassembly to make it under the monorail beams.

The rail bridge also needs movement for this to happen, but I can't find any references to how that is accomplished.
          Aha, that's quite a long haul! I didn't even think to look over there.

If you look at Google Maps, in the normal satellite view, NOT the 45 angle view, you can see RoA (Rivers of America ) has just one boat, presumably the Mark Twain. The other boat (seen in the 45 angle image) is not in the RoA. There is a boat over at the dry docks, but it appears to be a SSL (Seven Seas Lagoon ) boat. So, the second RoA boat seems to be missing. That's why I even asked where the dry docks were.
          Last edited by Mojave; 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

In Disney World, the attraction is called the Liberty Square Riverboat. But the boat is actually called the Liberty Belle.

The boat is pretty much like the Mark Twain in design. They used to have two boats, An Irvine and Fowler. But legend has it an offstage accident ruined it or it was used in Tokyo. I remember two on the river, but that's a childhood memory. We were left with the Irvine which became the Liberty Belle in the 90s.

The railroad bridge is very low to the water and swings, or pivots on a point. It goes over water and ground, as the channel side is closer to BTMRR. There is a backstage road over the channel to the west side backstage. To the 7 Seas Lagoon the Liberty Belle must be towed as it goes off the track that takes it back stage. It slow may need the smoke stack removed to get under the monorails tracks the ring the 7 Seas Lagoon.

The dry docks are off Bay Lake, which is attached to the Lagoon. The dry docks are a large area which has a lift to pick the Liberty Belle out of the water on a rolling support . Following being raised it is rolled into and area where it can be maintained outdoors or in a giant shed. This is also done with the Ferries that cross 7 Seas Lagoon from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the Magic Kingdom. They can also pull the resort launches out of the water at the dry docks and maintain them out of the water in or outdoors.

I think those ferries are now called the Fowler and Irvine.
            Be Cool Stay in School!
            Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
              In Disney World, the attraction is called the Liberty Square Riverboat. But the boat is actually called the Liberty Belle.

The boat is pretty much like the Mark Twain in design. They used to have two boats, An Irvine and Fowler. But legend has it an offstage accident ruined it or it was used in Tokyo. I remember two on the river, but that's a childhood memory. We were left with the Irvine which became the Liberty Belle in the 90s.
              The original Fowler left for refurb.. and never came back. Rumored to have been fatally damaged while in dry dock (I've seen tellings that it was improperly handled by a crane). It's hypothesized that parts of it went to Toyko when the boat was scrapped/destroyed. The second riverboat was added due to demand, and remained the sole riverboat after the Fowler was destroyed. It was renamed in (96?) after one of it's refurbs.

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
              I think those ferries are now called the Fowler and Irvine.
              Yes, Magic Kingdom I and II were renamed Fowler and Irvine (Magic Kingdom I and II replaced the original steam powered ferries).

Here is one site on the topic - (lacks cites tho) - http://www.disneyparkhistory.com/liberty-belle.html

another unsourced piece - http://meettheworldinprogressland.bl...-of-magic.html

A fun WDW watercraft page from former CMs - http://www.wcdept478.com/AbouttheFB.htm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X