Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Will Universal's $9 per hour cause Disney to pay more than $8.03 per hour?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• princecharming
    replied
    Re: Will Universal's $9 per hour cause Disney to pay more than $8.03 per hour?

I think universal is going to 9.00 an hour starting salary because comcast is based in california and to make their accounting systems easier, everyone gets paid the same salaries. now that being said. I have a family memeber who works part time for the mouse and they crunched the numbers and figured out that a 2 dollar an hour raise would mean that employees could actually lose their health care subsidies because they would make too much money. so you may get more money on one hand but it won't be showing up as more money in their pockets

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

Thank you
    , Golden Redhead & Whipland!

Leave a comment:

• golden redhead
    replied

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

I don't know much about corporate retirement plans.

While any matching sounds good to me, is 3% a typical corporate rate?
    How does a retirement plan differ from a pension, and why did Chambers say a union will oppose Disney's proposed plan? Who is Chambers? (In 50 words or more, please.)
    A plan sponsor (employer) can elect to match your salary deferrals to a 401k plan. It could match dollar for dollar or a percentage - meaning 50 cents on the dollar or 25 cents on the dollar for example. typically they will match your deferrals up to a certain percent of compensation. for example, Sally Smith works for XYZ Company that has a 401k Plan, allowing its eligible employees to defer out of their salary into this retirement plan. The plan has a match in place that is 50% up to 4% of comp. This means that if Sally defers 4% of her compensation, they will match 50 cents on the dollar of her deferrals (or 2%, in simple terms). If Sally defers 6%, she doesn't get any more than previously mentioned from the match. The match is in a vesting scale, so the longer she works there, the more vested she becomes, until she reaches 100% vesting and all of the money belongs to her! Its complicated, but I have been in the pension business for over 20 years.

Typically, pension plans are defined benefit plans that the employer pays into for your retirement benefit. I am in the one that Disney sponsors and am required to put in $0.07 for every hour I work until I have 4 years of vested service or hit the dollar ceiling. Since I don't work enough hours each year (750) to earn a year of vested service, I am working towards that $$ ceiling - still about $200 to go, after almost 10 years in the plan. I only work 2 days a week there, so you see why. upon retirement I will get a monthly stipend (think social security like). 401k, 403b and 457 are a different kettle of fish.

Originally posted by Whipland View Post
    3% matching is typical, but some companies match even higher. Which means if you are enrolled in the company 401k plan you have to contribute at least as much as the matching amount or you are just throwing money away.
    Matching can vary, and I wouldn't state that 3% is typical, unless you are talking about a Safe Harbor Match. The basic formula is 100% up to 3% then 50% on the next 2%. The enhanced match 100% up to 4%. Safe Harbor Non-Elective is 3% of compensation, so maybe that is what you are thinking of, but that isn't a match. the plan sponsor is required to make that contribution to all eligible employees of the plan.

Golden Redhead, ERPA, QPA, QKA

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

^ ^ Among the many things I don't know is how close/exact is the minimum wage is related to inflation? You'd think it would drive up prices, but I've read that this hasn't always been the case

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Obama's $10.10 minimum wage proposal won't make it past Republicans, but Seattle's $15 min. wage is a done deal. Nice of Seattle to volunteer to be a guinea pig so the rest of us can study the effects of a dramatic increase in the min. wage.

If the minimum wage increased by 25% from $8 to $10, I doubt inflation would increase by 25%.

I doubt Disney would publicly oppose a minimum wage increase (as McDonald's has done in the past, especially with the Nixon administraton), because it wouldn't look to cool for a $35 million dollar a year worker (Iger) to oppose increases for his employees, some of whom earn far less than 1 500th that much. (I think Staggs has pulled in $10 mil. a year in some years. Their salaries/stock options are well reported.)

I admire Iger. I wouldn't have been as bold in spending so much for intellectual properties that now look like good moves. But his following Eisner's lead in serving as the Chairman of the Board that hires himself as CEO and getting paid many times more than what CEOs used to make or now make in Europe and Japan (I'm not talking about owners), is part of a new gilded age that could also end. I really want WDW & Universal CMs to all earn over $10 an hour ASAP. And I'd also like them to get many wonderful perks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kidgenie
    replied

^ ^ Getting into the parks on off days and getting friends and family members in is a big perk,
    but the hourly $ is clearer.

Like the one-day admission price for each park,
    the CEO's compensation,
    and the number of visits to each park per year,
    the hourly rate will be easily reported.

Minimum wages (incoming or just proposed) of $10 for California, $10.10 for the nation and $15 for Seattle have received a lot of press, so I expect I'll be able to follow this issue at famous parks in Central Florida where thousands work and millions visit.

The companies I've mentioned that pay well (along with In 'n' Out Burger) have thrived. I hope Disney applies the idea of using money to retain their CEO
    to its other people.

When Reagan wanted to attract better educated soldiers into the military, he worked to increase their pay. It worked.
    Excellent Post! IMO, if minimum wage is mandatory, all that does is cause inflation as Costs go up for everything. For example, what good is Disney's 10.00 an hour proposal, and Universals implementation of $9.00 an hour, if federal Minimum Wage goes up to 10.10?. They will both have to go up to the new Federal law. The current proposals increase wages from a couple to a few dollars above the current minimum wage standard. If the new federal $10.10 is passed, I would not anticipate Univeral and Disney match that, meaning going to $11.85 and $12.85. and so their employees will basically continue to be right back where they were.... at just above Minimum Wage. You could make the arguement that they should, but that is a different topic.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

^ ^ Getting into the parks on off days and getting friends and family members in is a big perk,
    but the hourly $ is clearer.

Like the one-day admission price for each park,
    the CEO's compensation,
    and the number of visits to each park per year,
    the hourly rate will be easily reported.

Minimum wages (incoming or just proposed) of $10 for California, $10.10 for the nation and $15 for Seattle have received a lot of press, so I expect I'll be able to follow this issue at famous parks in Central Florida where thousands work and millions visit.

The companies I've mentioned that pay well (along with In 'n' Out Burger) have thrived. I hope Disney applies the idea of using money to retain their CEO
    to its other people.

When Reagan wanted to attract better educated soldiers into the military, he worked to increase their pay. It worked.

Leave a comment:

• Kidgenie
    replied

Okay.... thanks Bill for.... I don't even know the words. You speak of something, that compared to Disney, just works, and is easier to understand, does not have strange rules....

You state that I am simply and completely untrue. Silly to say such a thing just because you have a different opinion.... but you offer no specific information about Universals comp benefits to back up your statement or support your opinion other than its not as commonly seen, therefore most don't know about it. Do the "most" include Universal employees themselves?

I strongly suspect you know this, but Disney cast members really do not need to stay with their guests. You know that. You know Disney Castmembers are even allow to use their main gate, during a working shift, and remain in costume while the admit guests in the park. You know its an official cast zooming policy that when they do this that they need to remove their name tag. Come on Bill, I really do know that you know this. Seriously.

Please give the details on the Universal's Comparable system to Disney's Main Entrance passes? Because I have never heard of this. I have friends that work at Universal. I use to have a room mate who did. I know when he did, he got 3 or 4 comp per quarter and thats it. That was 6-7 years ago so now.....maybe its new since then?

How many times can a Uni Crew member use it? How many guest can they bring with them when they do? Can they use it at other Universal Hollywood?
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
    I do not imply that Universal does not have employee friends/family comp admission policys, I have benefited from it, but Disney's is 16 times a year on a main entrance pass, plus the November -February cast holiday comps, And at least 4 comps that like universal, can just be given out and the cast member does not need to be present for them to be used. Universal does not have anything like a main gate pass.
    This, is simply and completely untrue. The fact of the matter is that Universal's system is much superior when it comes to complementary admission policies. It may not be a free for all like Disney's broken Main Entrance Pass System, but it works and is easier to understand, and there are no strange rules like Disney's system of having to remain with your party at all times. Universal ALSO has a separate comparable system to Disney's Main Entrance Passes, but it's not something that's as commonly seen, therefore most people don't know about it.

Leave a comment:

• JCSkipr79
    replied

Uni. TMs also get in for free to SW and get a free whole turkey for Thanksgiving.

Leave a comment:

• Mackster
    replied

On June 1 Universal Orlando will pay its new employees $9 an hour.
    Universal raises pay as Harry Potter-Diagon Alley opening nears - Orlando Business Journal
    Will this motivate Disney World to rise above it current $8.03?
    The salary is only one part of what a person looks at when they take a job somewhere. The other thing you failed to mention is the benefits, how much they worker has to pay and what they actually consist of... I've had jobs that paid more in salary but that allowed me less take home because the cost of health insurance and other things was not nearly as heavily subsidized. Then there are the perk that are not as easily defined, like park passes and discounts... I had a secretary in a company I once worked for that took a part-time job in a Disney store simply because of the discounts she could get, and even if it had simply been for more money there were other stores that paid more but to her the discounts had more value.

So throwing out a salary increase is really meaningless... sort of like when a teacher in the mid-west claims they are being woefully underpaid because they make half of what a teacher in New York City makes... sure taken at face value it might be true but it ignores a lot of other variables.

Leave a comment:

• JCSkipr79
    replied

but I have trouble imagining that the guests and managers at WDW could be that bad.

yeaaaa....work 7yrs at MK and then get back to me on that one. Remember Umbridge from Harry Potter? Now multiply that by dozens of inept managers w/ Blue IDs.

After I read a Kevin Yee article about WDW neglect, I asked for recent photographic proof or disproof on another thread (and I was called negative), but there was NOT a lot of recent photographic evidence posted there.

Leave a comment:

• Whipland
    replied

How does a retirement plan differ from a pension, and why did Chambers say a union will oppose Disney's proposed plan? Who is Chambers? (In 50 words or more, please.)

Do any of you Micechatters, Micereaders or Mice-researchers know
    about Starbucks', Trader Joe's' &/or Costco's plans?
    How about Wal-mart's, McDonald's' &/or Universal's?

This is a job for "The Googler!"
    3% matching is typical, but some companies match even higher. Which means if you are enrolled in the company 401k plan you have to contribute at least as much as the matching amount or you are just throwing money away.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

JCSkipr79, you're IN Orlando and I haven't been there for a long time,
    but I have trouble imagining that the guests and managers at WDW could be that bad.
    I appreciate your opinions, but I hope a bunch of folks will put WDW & its guests in a better light.

After I read a Kevin Yee article about WDW neglect, I asked for recent photographic proof or disproof on another thread (and I was called negative), but there was NOT a lot of recent photographic evidence posted there.

I'm hoping that you and Swampymarsh have the same disillusioned friends and that when I finally return to Florida I'll encounter many great CMs, hopefully all earning over $10 an hour. I've interacted with so many excellent CMs at Disneyland in recent years who get by even though S. California is more expensive than Central Florida, so I don't get why WDW would be so different. What (if anything) does WDW do that's so demoralizing to its CMs these days? Have there been any articles in the press supporting this?

Leave a comment:

• JCSkipr79
    replied

And I cannot tell you the number of my SeaWorld TMs that went to WDW for a second job and lasted only 1-2mos cause they were fed up with management, lack of oppurtunities and MyMagic. EVERYONE (in OTown) is LEAVING WDW and SW to get hired for Diagon.

Leave a comment:

• JCSkipr79
    replied

Failing to make guests happy doesn't sound fun to me.
    The best workers at the best parks, hotels & restaurants
    enjoy providing excellent customer service.
    --former proud Disneyland CM

You haven't seen or dealt with the guests who go through MK. It's like People of WalMart but with Veruca Salt attitudes. And INSANE...

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I know a number of ex CMs who went to Universal.
    . . . It was more fun, less strict than Disney, so they don't work as hard at satisfying guests.
    Failing to make guests happy doesn't sound fun to me.
    The best workers at the best parks, hotels & restaurants
    enjoy providing excellent customer service.
    --former proud Disneyland CM

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

I know a number of ex CMs who went to Universal.

Universal pays more, and let those ex CMs have a better choice of position. It didn't give them enough hours so they needed a second job. It was more fun, less strict than Disney, so they don't work as hard at satisfying guests.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

. . . [The] April Bloomberg article stated:

"
    Disney also told the unions it wants to stop offering pensions to new hourly employees starting in 2016. New hires would be offered a 3 percent company match to a 401(k)-style retirement plan, said Dalton. The company doesn’t currently contribute to that plan. . .

Do any of you Micechatters, Micereaders or Mice-researchers know
    about Starbucks', Trader Joe's' &/or Costco's plans?
    How about Wal-mart's, McDonald's' &/or Universal's?

This is a job for "The Googler!"

Leave a comment:

• DisCollector
    replied

I can't help to roll my eyes at the quote, "It is more generous than they have been in the past" in that article. I'm not going to bow down, or praise Disney for something that should have already been done.

These employees deserve the raise and honestly shouldn't have to wait for the slow increase over the course of two years. All major theme park employees deserve at least the $10 and should try to do similar benefits. Guess that can't happen, but it would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• Kidgenie
    replied

Originally posted by aimster View Post
    I have a friend who worked for Universal before she moved out of Florida and she was able to bring friends/family with comp tickets. She did this for a friend and I 10 years ago. They were parkhopper tickets as well so we split our day between the Studios park and Islands of Adventure. BTW, my friend actually worked at CityWalk at the time (at the former Endangered Species store).
    I do not imply that Universal does not have employee friends/family comp admission policys, I have benefited from it, but Disney's is 16 times a year on a main entrance pass, plus the November -February cast holiday comps, And at least 4 comps that like universal, can just be given out and the cast member does not need to be present for them to be used. Universal does not have anything like a main gate pass.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X