This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Potential expansion area for DHS

Yesterday on another thread about the closing of American Idol Experience, and after Kevin Yee posting on facebook that the Indiana Jones Stunt Show is supposed to close as well, I posted this pic of where a new Star Wars Land or Lucasfilm area could be easily be created.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Wars Land potential sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	7375305

Looking at the aerial view of Hollywood Studios a bit more, it seems that they could rip out the Beauty and the Beast theatre (as there is now a very significant presence of that story/film in Magic Kingdom) and have A TON of space to work with. I think this notion may have been mentioned in a post a while back, but I think it bears repeating.

Name:	expansion area potenial sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	7375306

There are any number of attractions they could put in a space this size, and of course adding and expanding always brings a certain level of excitement to the parks. Being that area of land is attached to Sunset Boulevard, I'd love them to build something related to classic era Hollywood/Los Angeles. I know there's issues with the IP involving Spielberg, but I'd love for them to build Maroon Studios from Roger Rabbit and have some fun attractions involving Roger and Jessica, and have the whole area look like a an actual movie studio. I've also mentioned in posts for DCA, that I'd love to see a ride based on the Rocketeer, and perhaps a recreation of the Bulldog Cafe or the South Seas Club from the film as a fun dining spot.

Any thoughts about this idea of removing Beauty and Beast Stage show and expanding and bringing something new to DHS? What would you like to see if you are down with this idea?

Re: Potential expansion area for DHS

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Yesterday on another thread about the closing of American Idol Experience, and after Kevin Yee posting on facebook that the Indiana Jones Stunt Show is supposed to close as well, I posted this pic of where a new Star Wars Land or Lucasfilm area could be easily be created.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36888[/ATTACH]

Looking at the aerial view of Hollywood Studios a bit more, it seems that they could rip out the Beauty and the Beast theatre (as there is now a very significant presence of that story/film in Magic Kingdom) and have A TON of space to work with. I think this notion may have been mentioned in a post a while back, but I think it bears repeating.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]36889[/ATTACH]

There are any number of attractions they could put in a space this size, and of course adding and expanding always brings a certain level of excitement to the parks. Being that area of land is attached to Sunset Boulevard, I'd love them to build something related to classic era Hollywood/Los Angeles. I know there's issues with the IP involving Spielberg, but I'd love for them to build Maroon Studios from Roger Rabbit and have some fun attractions involving Roger and Jessica, and have the whole area look like a an actual movie studio. I've also mentioned in posts for DCA, that I'd love to see a ride based on the Rocketeer, and perhaps a recreation of the Bulldog Cafe or the South Seas Club from the film as a fun dining spot.

Any thoughts about this idea of removing Beauty and Beast Stage show and expanding and bringing something new to DHS? What would you like to see if you are down with this idea?

I am "Down" with adding anything new to this 1/2 day park. The park needs a new draw. I wish they would keep the Indy stunt show and build an Indiana Jones themed area/land. Similar attraction the one that is at Disneyland but better, and also a mine shaft coaster (Temple of Dome), and themed village. Would love to see something from Tron here as well, if not TomorrowLand. Of course the rumored Star Wars themed area to boot!

Possibilities are limitless to be sure! DysCorps willingness to invest in adding new attractions, not so willing....
    A updated version of Toon Town would be great with Roger Rabbit as you mentioned. Where you enter Toon Town through the movie studio.

Comment

I like the idea of Star Wars Land, but I am opposed to taking away the Stunt Show. I have always thought that they should make that area themed to Lucasfilms and have it divided into two sub-lands, Indiana Jones and Star Wars. The sub-lands would be small, as Indiana Jones would only have an additional ride go behind the stunt show and Star Wars would take over Backlot Express, American Idol, and ABC Sound Stage.

Comment

They should create a Mystic Manor. But instead of a music box, Albert activates a magic video camera. Lord Henry Mystic is a movie director who travelled the world with Albert in order to make various documentaries.

Comment

theres still so much empty space in this park lets utilize that before knocking down buildings. this will probably happen just after they fill in the rest of the space, they will probably run their new broadway show Aladdin in there until then

also the american idl building will not be part of the star wars expansion, its far too central of a location and there needs to be more separation between the new land and the park's main street/hub

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
            theres still so much empty space in this park
            Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post

I doubt they would remove the BatB theatre, at most I think they would change it to a different show.

Comment

theres still so much empty space in this park
                Yes, I'm thinking the same thing as MondoMouse, where?

they will probably run their new broadway show Aladdin in there until then
                Broadway-esque show in an outdoor theater in Florida? Insane. This will never happen.

also the american idl building will not be part of the star wars expansion, its far too central of a location and there needs to be more separation between the new land and the park's main street/hub

How much seperation is there between the "hub" and the Chinese Theater? Seperation is not necessary when you have a giant hat in the middle blocking views. And did you forget about Hollywood Blvd? That walk from the gate to the hat IS the park's main street. It's not like you would walking in the park and immediately see SW. An entrance to SW land and a view of some attractions from the hub/ hat & pin store, would be a nice fit RIGHT NEXT TO or part of the AI building. Re-theme & re-face the front of the building to look like SW and it acts like a barrier to the land.

"Once STAR WARS land is built they're replacing STAR TOURS with a Frozen sledding ride. Imagineers agree that I just made that up." - Justin Scarred

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
                  The only place I can really see is outside the berm, to the south of Muppets, there's a fair old chunk of land there.

Only snag is that it'd require a new entrance road. While not entirely out of the question, it seems a pricey option (at least for TDO).
                  sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
                  Walt Disney

Comment

How much seperation is there between the "hub" and the Chinese Theater? Seperation is not necessary when you have a giant hat in the middle blocking views. And did you forget about Hollywood Blvd? That walk from the gate to the hat IS the park's main street. It's not like you would walking in the park and immediately see SW. An entrance to SW land and a view of some attractions from the hub/ hat & pin store, would be a nice fit RIGHT NEXT TO or part of the AI building. Re-theme & re-face the front of the building to look like SW and it acts like a barrier to the land.

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
                      The only place I can really see is outside the berm, to the south of Muppets, there's a fair old chunk of land there.

Only snag is that it'd require a new entrance road. While not entirely out of the question, it seems a pricey option (at least for TDO).
                      This is a very good expansion option, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the entrance needs to be moved. An enclosed bridge or overhead transportation system can be built over the road and connect the two sides. It can be themed to the land on the other side. I had always thought that SWL could be on both sides of the road and could be connected by a PeopleMover type ride that takes the riders to light speed as they go from one side to another.

Comment

the backlot theatre area near mama melrose that used to have the hunchback of notredame show, the old building where who wants to be a millionaire used to be and the entire now defunct animation studio backstage areas behind it, I could keep going. not to mention areas that are clearly on the way out like the almost dead backlot tour or the honey I shrunk the kids play area. Thats not even mentioning the massive amount of space beyond the berm thats easily accessible if necessary

Broadway-esque show in an outdoor theater in Florida? Insane. This will never happen.
                        what do you think is there now? the current beauty and the beast show is just a pared down slightly altered version of the broadway show they did back in the mid 90's. after Aladdin has run its course they could easily give it the same treatment.

thematic separation is what I am referring too. the chinese theatre is all apart of the hub/mainstreet area and it thematically fits quite well. if you have star wars put into the american idol space it entirely disrupts the theme of being on hollywood blvd almost immediately after entering the park as you can clearly see parts of the building from the beginning of the right side of the street. It would make much more sense both thematically and for disney to keep the ABC area with a new attraction and updates from a promotional standpoint and then expand into the backstage area more for the starwars expansion providing both a better more gradual transition into the new land and also hopefully preventing an almost consistent large traffic clog right in the centre of the park.

Comment

the backlot theatre area near mama melrose that used to have the hunchback of notredame show, the old building where who wants to be a millionaire used to be and the entire now defunct animation studio backstage areas behind it, I could keep going. not to mention areas that are clearly on the way out like the almost dead backlot tour or the honey I shrunk the kids play area.
                          And just as I mentioned in my original post, all of these would also involve tearing things down to construct something new. These areas aren't "empty space in this park" as you put it. I do agree with you though that the examples you provided would make be great buildings/areas to utilize for cool new stuff. I was just making the point that the large area occupied by the Beauty and the Beast theatre would be a great place to build something awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post

The problem with that land is that it is designated as unsuitable for construction because it is to low an elevation. Pretty much all the land between the entrance road and Victory way has this designation. There is a fairly good sized piece of suitable land right across from the park on the other side of World Drive, but being on the other side of the road obviously would complicate it's use.

Here is the map from the RCID Master Plan showing that area. Red is considered suitable for construction, dark green unsuitable and light green marginally suitable.

Name:	DHSArea2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7356167

If they wanted to expand the footprint of the park I think the most likely option would be to build a parking garage and then expand into the existing parking lot. I would also not be surprised to see the Back Lot Tour and Light Motors Action eventually replaced with things that make better use of the space.

Comment

^this was very helpful, I think the parking garage concept could be a great idea as well as expanding it across buena vista drive if necessary for say cast parking. you could also move backstage support buildings to the small pocket on the other side of the entrance road and then expand into current backstage areas. that or go utilidor tunnels under world drive and move backstage to the other side.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X