This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Yeti partially working

Just got back from DAK and rode Expediton Everest 3 times since the longest wait was only 15 minutes and twice I walked right on. Anyway the Yeti was actually over the track and making small swipes at the train aided by the strobe light. It was not the full glory of the original version but did still make for a great finally and so much better than disco Yeti that you could actually miss seeing. Anyone else see this change? Is it new or have I missed posts about it.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Re: Yeti partially working

Alls I'm gonna say is that about once every couple months, someone reports that the Yeti is working. So far, for the last eight years, it's just been that person falling for the strobe light trick and sending the internet into a frenzy.

You pass the Yeti in a a second or two, physically seeing it for a fraction of a second thanks to the strobes. The point of the strobe light trick is to imply movement. It works! If you're right and it's suddenly coming to life, that's great. But the overwhelming chances are that, like 99% of Expedition Everest riders (even us fans), you're seeing what your mind wants to see / assumes is happening thanks to the clever lighting trick.

If it were able to "make small swipes," then it probably would've been doing so for the past eight years, right? If the choices were "full motion," "small swipes" and "nothing," why would they have chosen nothing for so many years? All we've heard for eight years is that the animatronic is fatally damaged / off its axis / on a cracked foundation that would require its complete removal to get it working at all - something that Imagineers and most fans agree is not worth all the effort, given the one or two seconds you can actually see the figure.

In other words, I doubt it's working again. I imagine that what you're seeing is the same strobe trick you know and love, and that you're falling for it. No shame in that. In fact, that's the point of it.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-andrea-finger
    Last edited by bkroz; 07-06-2014, 12:06 AM.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

Comment

I've heard of all these claims of the fact that it would basically be impossible to fix the Yeti truly and that it would be too much hassle, but is it really impossible for them to adjust it a little bit so that he actually is making small little swipes as the OP describes? If they proclaim they have seen "Disco Yeti" so many times and suddenly there is movement, isn't a possibility that something did in fact move? Even for maybe one ride cycle?

Either way, if the Imagineers created such a creature where there is absolutely no physical way to make any adjustment, or even minor fixes in the position it is in then personally they need to get rid of all the people that were involved in that project. I'm no expert, but it should have been common sense of what an AA of that magnitude could do to the structure and should be common sense that they would need to create this ride to have more easy access to the AA when there would be renovations, or if something terribly goes wrong.

Comment

Probably they anticipated that the figure would need work. The problem, allegedly, is that the concrete foundation of the character is physically cracked. There is no way to begin messing with the foundation of the figure except with heavy machinery that won't fit into the mountain. In other words, the physical Yeti is not damaged, but the concrete foundation its support structure is drilled into (which may be drilled a hundred feet or more into the ground, given its 10-ton weight and its fighter-jet-thrust) has a flaw that even Disney admits has caused challenges and necessitated "purposeful measures ... to reduce unnecessary stress and preserve many of its functions while we studied possible long-term solutions."

Is it possible that Disney "adjusted it a little bit" so that the Yeti makes small wipes? I mean, okay, maybe? But then recognize that what you're saying is that for eight years, Disney turned off the animatronic and used a clever lighting trick to make it seem like it's making small swipes, then arbitrarily decided in July 2014 that this was the time to continue that trick lighting, but to have him make ACTUAL small swipes.

The much more likely scenario is that the OP fell for the lighting trick - as most guests do - and saw what he wanted to see. No shame in that. It's like someone thinking Main Street really is three stories tall. That's the point of the illusion they created.
        Famous last words.

Comment

Take this how you will:

I saw this thread and asked members on a WDW board if they had seen any movement. Some are also agreeing there is hand movement now.

so then I decided to text my friend who works at DAK, and ask if he's noticed anything. I'll preface this to say the old Safari manager Mike Lolli got moved from safari to Asia. Mike Lolli is a great manager, with a lot of pull.. Who did great things over in Harambe, so he was moved to work on Asia.

Needless to say, according to my friend they are fixing the yeti. "But I thought it couldn't move anymore" I said. He says don't listen to that, it's all just rumors. Disney was just being cheap and didn't want to fix the yeti. And I mean.. After working for the company I can see how that's true. Disney would never come out and say "hey our most advanced creation has broken and it's too expensive to fix right now"

so, id expect a working yeti.. Mike has a lot of pull.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
          ~

Comment

ORWEN: So what you're saying, then, is that this Mike guy is the only person who's bothered to pull the strings on Yeti's arms all these years to make them move? What would Pinocchio say???

Comment

What I am saying is that if the OP was used to "Disco Yeti" for so long and have stated to see it in that state before more than once, wouldn't have the OP "fell for the lighting trick" sooner?

Whether it's a crack in the structure, or not, it still is a liability for the company, whether the AA moves, or not. Apparently, they haven't "studied long term solutions" that much if it's still in the condition that it is in now. Unless their "studied long term solutions" is putting a disco light on the Yeti and not much else.

What would they do if more damage is done to the structure whether the Yeti is moving, or not, will they actually do something then? The point I am trying to make is while to Disney they don't see the reason to put effort into fixing the issue whether it's not being able to fit the equipment in, or money, what are they going to do if it gets more serious? Not saying it will, but it's the question of if it gets more serious, what will their excuse be then?

Comment

I'm sure that part of their research has determined that it won't get more serious if the 10 ton figure isn't being thrusted forward with jet-propulsion levels of energy... hence why it doesn't move anymore. An object at rest remains at rest until acted on by an external force.

A ton of ifs here. IF the problem is what Disney says and IF they really have looked into solutions and IF they've determined that keeping the figure static is the best way to keep the ride open and show-worthy, then they've probably determined that it WON'T get worse for the foreseeable future.

Once Avatar is open for a bit, I'm sure Everest will close for a multi-month refurbishment. Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland went 18 years without a serious scrub-down because it was the E-ticket for the resort. Once Radiator Springs Racers opened, Indy went down for a VERY serious overhaul. The situation at Animal Kingdom is 10 times worse. Without Everest, Animal Kingdom has Dinosaur and the Safaris in terms of headlining rides. Everest can't close for 6 months. It just can't. And that means a static Yeti until then. If they randomly have found eight years later that he can swipe (and yet have inexplicably decided to keep the strobe lights on him anyway) then good for them. That's great! I sincerely hope it's true! I just won't believe it until I see it! Haha
                Famous last words.

Comment

Again, I mean take it with a grain of salt.. from what I'm told the foundation issues were all bogus and cover up/lies/stuff said by fans. The real issues were fixable but Disney was being cheap. Which is common, especially over in WDW...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                  ~

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Analyst View Post
                    Again, I mean take it with a grain of salt.. from what I'm told the foundation issues were all bogus and cover up/lies/stuff said by fans. The real issues were fixable but Disney was being cheap. Which is common, especially over in WDW...
                    It apparently has to do with issues that arose early on and now comes down to who will accept the blame for those issues, which means pay for the fix. At this point it would likely have to take Burbank to force the issue, meaning Staggs or above.

Comment

Originally posted by bkroz View Post
                      Probably they anticipated that the figure would need work. The problem, allegedly, is that the concrete foundation of the character is physically cracked. There is no way to begin messing with the foundation of the figure except with heavy machinery that won't fit into the mountain. In other words, the physical Yeti is not damaged, but the concrete foundation its support structure is drilled into (which may be drilled a hundred feet or more into the ground, given its 10-ton weight and its fighter-jet-thrust) has a flaw that even Disney admits has caused challenges and necessitated "purposeful measures ... to reduce unnecessary stress and preserve many of its functions while we studied possible long-term solutions."
                      [...]
                      100' is very deep for a foundation... There might be foundation piles that go deep, but not a foundation itself. The Empire State Building's foundation is only half that. at 55'.

Comment

Originally posted by bkroz View Post
                        I'm sure that part of their research has determined that it won't get more serious if the 10 ton figure isn't being thrusted forward with jet-propulsion levels of energy... hence why it doesn't move anymore. An object at rest remains at rest until acted on by an external force.

A ton of ifs here. IF the problem is what Disney says and IF they really have looked into solutions and IF they've determined that keeping the figure static is the best way to keep the ride open and show-worthy, then they've probably determined that it WON'T get worse for the foreseeable future.

Once Avatar is open for a bit, I'm sure Everest will close for a multi-month refurbishment. Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland went 18 years without a serious scrub-down because it was the E-ticket for the resort. Once Radiator Springs Racers opened, Indy went down for a VERY serious overhaul. The situation at Animal Kingdom is 10 times worse. Without Everest, Animal Kingdom has Dinosaur and the Safaris in terms of headlining rides. Everest can't close for 6 months. It just can't. And that means a static Yeti until then. If they randomly have found eight years later that he can swipe (and yet have inexplicably decided to keep the strobe lights on him anyway) then good for them. That's great! I sincerely hope it's true! I just won't believe it until I see it! Haha
                        It is quite a big if, but you have to think about what if in situations such as this. If it's true that they knew about problems early on, once again do not know this as fact possibly rumors, but let's say, what if they knew about the problems? What if there really is damage to the structure? Doesn't it worry you that their solution is to do nothing? "Well, let's just keep it the way it is and keep operating this thing." It isn't just the AA that can create problems, other things can go wrong too. I'm no expert, if it seems so possible that even little movements can even cause an issue, why can't the same logic be said in the ride itself?

Once again, a lot of big "ifs" on something going really wrong, however, if they did know there were problems and moved forward that's a big problem, and if they didn't know there would be problems, that's still a big problem. As Imagineers and experts, they should have known the potential stress to the structure and issues they could have. Just because other rides took awhile to get attention, doesn't mean that is right thing to do.

The point is we can debate all day if it's really structure damage, or Disney being cheap. It doesn't matter. No matter what the issue is, it should be fixed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X