X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bespinally
    replied
    Re: One disaster after another...no magic for us at DisneyWorld

Just as a side note, I had a pretty terrible experience in my one family vacation to WDW. We had a 6 day pass and stayed at Beach Club, and so many things went wrong. The headboard on the bed was not set up properly and could have fallen on my kids (they did give us a comp night), our ground floor backdoor was left open by housekeeping, the boats werent running (one less convenience), the hot tubs were broken at the stormalong bay pool, my whole family got food poisoning, and it seemed like the CM's were trained more in legalese than actual customer service (IE how to tell you that things are not Disney's fault in a calm and legally advised manner). The transportation sucked, so it took so long to get from one park to another that the park hopper was basically useless because youd waste 2 hours changing parks. And not to mention that the food was pretty oversold. The only good meal I had was in Morocco (I love that place)!

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

When I am at the park, I do not want/need to be in contact with the outside world. I usually tell my husband that I will see him when I get home, and he will only hear from me if an emergency arrises. The most I do is text him from the hotel room, before I set out for the day. I definitely do not use my phone for anything other than perhaps a few fun selfie pictures, while I am in the parks. On my past vacation, I used my iPad in the hotel to change some things on MDE.

Leave a comment:

• PlutoHasFleas
    replied

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    It's not that some of us are "fighting technology", it's that there IS a point where enough is enough. If you're staring at your phone screen for 2 hours of your day at Disneyworld that's kind of sad.
    To each is own. A lot of people post pictures and videos to social media and talk about it with their friends and followers through out the day.

And they do it all right from their phones.

It's what people do now-a-days, it's not sad.

Disney was smart by utilizing smart phone technology with MDE.

2 total hours of phone time during an entire day at the park is a low number.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Adventure
    replied

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    It's funny to me that there are folks out there that get to a certain point in technology, and they have had enough. No more. Enough is enough.

What would happen if everyone did this? There would be no new innovations. Fighting technology is like fighting the future, it's a silly battle.

It's not that some of us are "fighting technology", it's that there IS a point where enough is enough. If you're staring at your phone screen for 2 hours of your day at Disneyworld that's kind of sad.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

I use what tech works for me, and yes, I do ignore the rest. I see a difference between having a reservation for lunch or dinner and having reservations for a lot of things. I guess I'm glad I saw a couple of the Florida parks and both the California parks before it got all reservationy. I just want to go to the parks and have some fun when I go.

I'm not really that old, BTW, and the comment about the '50s cracked me up. I just don't want to live that much in my phone.

Leave a comment:

• PlutoHasFleas
    replied

It's funny to me that there are folks out there that get to a certain point in technology, and they have had enough. No more. Enough is enough.

What would happen if everyone did this? There would be no new innovations. Fighting technology is like fighting the future, it's a silly battle.

Leave a comment:

• maddogjoe
    replied

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    It's more than just "not associate with" - it's "actively avoid." Repugnant.
    Well I guess it's too bad we can't fall back to...... the 50's.

Like it or not the world changes, even Disney World. I look forward to my first trip in two weeks with the bands. The last couple trips were with a card. While they give you a bunch or options that you can use with the cards and bands nobody says you MUST use them! If you don't want to plan ahead every step, DON'T! It really isn't all that hard to figure out.

Personally we build our trips around the free meal plans. This means we get to visit restaurants we normally wouldn't be able to afford. It also means we have to hit reservation times It does make a relaxing park visit a bit more hectic but it is a small price to pay. We find that the phones help corral our party (which is 7 adults this trip) much easier. The options for the bands help us get things organized for those meals. For us we just spend the day at the park we will be eating at, but for my kids.... who will be all over the place having that info at hand makes it easier for them.

We use some of the options, my kids use more of the options, but you do not have to use ANY of the options. The bands are what YOU make of it. If you make a ball and chain around your ankle of it, it's only on you.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

It's more than just "not associate with" - it's "actively avoid." Repugnant.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

I've spent a lot of days visiting Disneyland over the years that I've had an AP, but they're losing me at this point. I didn't renew my AP, and I haven't been to the park in a long time now, and it's because I feel they're trying to squeeze more money out of me at every turn, and it's all getting more complicated, and there are times I feel they don't really want me there. So now I don't go much.
    lol thats clearly been the case for a good 15 years, this is just a change that panders towards something you don't associate with. they can't cater to everyone at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

"Not tailored to my generation" - you're right. And I'm spending my vacation this time in Hawaii. Not at Disneyland. My phone will spend the cruise time sitting in my room safe and will be ignored. And I suspect I will have a fabulous time.

I should *not* get the app. I hate how *every* stupid thing has its own, individual app. With another idiotic picture that I have to remember what it is. And every one of them wants to make noise at me when something updates.

So, no. I will not be using their apps. Or pretty much anything else. I don't have the apps for facebook or twitter or my email, and I actually *do* use those pretty constantly.

I've spent a lot of days visiting Disneyland over the years that I've had an AP, but they're losing me at this point. I didn't renew my AP, and I haven't been to the park in a long time now, and it's because I feel they're trying to squeeze more money out of me at every turn, and it's all getting more complicated, and there are times I feel they don't really want me there. So now I don't go much.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

I don't have apps running on my phone, nor a data plan. Not to mention that the *last* thing I want to do on vacation (or even just a play-day at Disneyland) is to pull out my phone all the time, whether it's checking my return times or making changes. I tolerate using my phone for text messages if there's something I'm tracking or someone I'm meeting, but other than that- no.

Never had any problem holding onto the paper. Park ticket, fastpasses if I get them, tuck in my wallet. Which I'm not going anywhere without, and I don't care what other system might be in place. I'm taking my wallet. So the band is actually an extra piece of stuff for me to deal with, rather than saving me anything.
    1) you should get the app, it really enhances the experience in the parks wether you like your phone or not.

2) you don't need to spend on data really unless you are using your phone between the parks, they all have free wifi along with all the hotels.

3) theres never going to be a perfect system that works for everyone, however I appreciate at least they are being forward thinking and getting ahead of the times to interact with everyone on a level that is the new social norm, not trying to play catch up 10 years down the road while the next development is happening. the paper fastpass system was outdated even in the themepark world and has resulted in the creation of a greener, ground breaking, organization piece that will be utilized for generations to come. unfortunatey its just not tailored to your generation.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

Why do people have to plan everything? Why not just discover the park with a paper map and enjoy the day as it comes? What is wrong with people spending the entire day at themepark looking at their phone?
    Call me strange but I only want my family and friends to know my name.
    Book rides in advance?
    The system they have in the two best theme parks on earth is much better. When Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea opens in the morning people simple rush to the newest ride in each park. ...and still... any day in Tokyo Disneyland is nicer than in the WDW Magic Kingdom.

Leave a comment:

• Carrie317
    replied

The whole point of a vacation is to NOT have my phone with me and on me at all times. I want to relax but then again, I guess I am in the minority? How relaxing is a vacation if you are constantly on a schedule. I consider that work. then again I just turned 40 so I remember life BEFORE smart phones.. (have to admit - it was better and no I am not technologically inept.)

Leave a comment:

• PlutoHasFleas
    replied

I don't have apps running on my phone, nor a data plan. Not to mention that the *last* thing I want to do on vacation (or even just a play-day at Disneyland) is to pull out my phone all the time, whether it's checking my return times or making changes. I tolerate using my phone for text messages if there's something I'm tracking or someone I'm meeting, but other than that- no.

Never had any problem holding onto the paper. Park ticket, fastpasses if I get them, tuck in my wallet. Which I'm not going anywhere without, and I don't care what other system might be in place. I'm taking my wallet. So the band is actually an extra piece of stuff for me to deal with, rather than saving me anything.
    I agree with goofy donald. I don't know anyone under 40 who's "last thing they want to do" is use their smart phone. Instagram a couple photos, hashtag an attraction, it's something we just do now. It's 2014 and they have become a part of us. MDE via smartphone is genius, because as the youth get older, smartphones will become even more prevalent.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

I don't see a benefit for me personally with either the bands or the pre-planning craziness. So sure, you can see good in one without the other but I don't like either part.

I only loosely plan my vacations, and the fast-pass system probably won't do me much good. I don't much use it now, either, though I do appreciate having the little piece of paper that tells me what time my pass is for as opposed to trying to remember it.
    I don't know maybe its a generational difference thing but I would much rather have that information on my smart phone then having to keep that piece of paper in my pocket and hopefully not loose it. since the magic band is essentially hooked to your phone through the app I can make a ton of changes on the fly to reservations, which helps to make things a little more leisurely with the added wiggle room, and is something I never could have done before. On top of this it just means I have to remember way less when going out to the parks. before there was the room key, wallet, fastpasses, park tickets etc. and now all that is done by one band firmly attached to your wrist.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

I don't see a benefit for me personally with either the bands or the pre-planning craziness. So sure, you can see good in one without the other but I don't like either part.

I only loosely plan my vacations, and the fast-pass system probably won't do me much good. I don't much use it now, either, though I do appreciate having the little piece of paper that tells me what time my pass is for as opposed to trying to remember it.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

Originally posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I haven't personally haven't experienced any problems with the MMP, but I still wish they would dump the idea and go back to the old ways of actually going to the parks and enjoying them. I don't even bother wearing the band on my wrist since I don't want to look like a drone in the park like everyone else- I just clip it to my camera bag.

I've been to DL and WDW hundreds of times in the past 40 years and don't like what Disney is doing with the Magic Band crap. I want to go to the parks to have fun- I don't want to be planning out every day with fastpasses and dining reservations months in advance just to make sure I get the chance to go on the attractions and have a nice lunch or dinner. I go on vacation to relax and have fun- not to be tied to a rigid schedule of trying to make each fastpass reservation.

I know some people love it- but I really don't like it at all. I know the pros and cons and know you can always change things while you're there and aren't held to your reservations- but the new system is causing people to book in advance and making longer wait times for those who either don't know about it, or choose not to use it.

I don't know if the whole story posted is true or not- I know things can get screwed up, but can be resolved better.

I just wish we could go back to a time without the whole MMP
    I think you can disconnect between the two though. there is two separate issues here, 1st the magic bands, and second the reservations and FP+. you can still love the magic band half of the project while hating the extensive planning portion.

Leave a comment:

• jedimaster7313
    replied

I haven't personally haven't experienced any problems with the MMP, but I still wish they would dump the idea and go back to the old ways of actually going to the parks and enjoying them. I don't even bother wearing the band on my wrist since I don't want to look like a drone in the park like everyone else- I just clip it to my camera bag.

I've been to DL and WDW hundreds of times in the past 40 years and don't like what Disney is doing with the Magic Band crap. I want to go to the parks to have fun- I don't want to be planning out every day with fastpasses and dining reservations months in advance just to make sure I get the chance to go on the attractions and have a nice lunch or dinner. I go on vacation to relax and have fun- not to be tied to a rigid schedule of trying to make each fastpass reservation.

I know some people love it- but I really don't like it at all. I know the pros and cons and know you can always change things while you're there and aren't held to your reservations- but the new system is causing people to book in advance and making longer wait times for those who either don't know about it, or choose not to use it.

I don't know if the whole story posted is true or not- I know things can get screwed up, but can be resolved better.

I just wish we could go back to a time without the whole MMP

Leave a comment:

• maddogjoe
    replied

Originally posted by lovechows View Post
    Is there a list available of what rides are on the tiers at WDW? We are really vacillating about making a trip there--don't want to travel all the way to WDW and then only be able to experience one "E-level" attraction each day because of the tiers.

It would help if information about them is available before buying tickets. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    We rarely use fastpass for any of the rides when we go. This will be our first trip with the bands and have added a bunch of fastpasses to them. It's good to get fastpass for Soarin, Fast track, 7 dwarves mine car, and toystory are the ones I would think that would be the handiest, but again we usually just wait in line chit chatting and having fun other ways.

Fastpass is nice, but not essential.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X