Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Will Disney Repurpose Earful Tower at Disney Springs?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Will Disney Repurpose Earful Tower at Disney Springs?

Just looking through some concept art for Disney Springs I noticed this guy at the entrance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	7375974

We all know how big Disney is into repurposing things. Will they move the Earful Tower to the front of Disney Springs? It would be nice to know its getting used instead of becoming scrap metal, even if they removed the ears and painted it.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Re: Will Disney Repurpose Earful Tower at Disney Springs?

it would be really nice if they did but I don't see it. the earful tower doesn't really fit the overall theme they are trying to create there. they want you to actually feel like you are in this small town not like you are in disney's creation of a small town.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
      it would be really nice if they did but I don't see it. the earful tower doesn't really fit the overall theme they are trying to create there. they want you to actually feel like you are in this small town not like you are in disney's creation of a small town.
      I'm suggesting using the tower rather than scrapping it. They would have to remove the ears and paint it so it fits Disney Springs. There is a water tower in the model as pictured and it just makes sense to move ET rather than building a new one. They would save money on demolition cost and on the cost of building a new water tower.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
        I'm suggesting using the tower rather than scrapping it. They would have to remove the ears and paint it so it fits Disney Springs. There is a water tower in the model as pictured and it just makes sense to move ET rather than building a new one. They would save money on demolition cost and on the cost of building a new water tower.
        from just quickly looking at the concept art it shows a fairly significantly different looking water tower then the earful. This design looks a little shorter and a little more old in its style. I mean maybe they repurpose it but with the amount of work they would have to do to the existing structureand transport it over, it would just make more sense to make a fake one thats lighter, easier to deal with and closer fits their initial design in my opinion.

Comment

from just quickly looking at the concept art it shows a fairly significantly different looking water tower then the earful. This design looks a little shorter and a little more old in its style. I mean maybe they repurpose it but with the amount of work they would have to do to the existing structureand transport it over, it would just make more sense to make a fake one thats lighter, easier to deal with and closer fits their initial design in my opinion.
          Hm.. I'm confused. Do you believe that the Earful Tower is a real working water tower? It is not. It is a set peice.

As for disassembly and transportation, it could be done in under a week.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	7357290

Comment

Hm.. I'm confused. Do you believe that the Earful Tower is a real working water tower? It is not. It is a set peice.

As for disassembly and transportation, it could be done in under a week.
            ...no i never suggested that, all I said was when they want something to be a focal point in their new area it would be easier to just build a new one as opposed to trying to retrofit something else into their design thats not exactly what they had in mind to begin with. a smaller structure made of composite materials would be significantly lighter if they went in that direction. again I'm not saying they would never repurpose the earful tower and take it over to disney springs I just think its unlikely. Where it is right now isn't really harming anything, to the best of my knowledge its not interfering with any future expansion zones, and it doesn't really infringe upon the new revisioning of DHS into DHA. I just think why not have earful and a new water tower at Disney springs that is tailor made to the imagineers designs. if you look at some of the progress they have made over there already anyways it seems pretty clear to me they want everything done absolutely perfect and don't want to have any compromises.

regardless at the end of the day whatever they do decide to put there will look great.

Comment

...no i never suggested that, all I said was when they want something to be a focal point in their new area it would be easier to just build a new one as opposed to trying to retrofit something else into their design thats not exactly what they had in mind to begin with. a smaller structure made of composite materials would be significantly lighter if they went in that direction. again I'm not saying they would never repurpose the earful tower and take it over to disney springs I just think its unlikely. Where it is right now isn't really harming anything, to the best of my knowledge its not interfering with any future expansion zones, and it doesn't really infringe upon the new revisioning of DHS into DHA. I just think why not have earful and a new water tower at Disney springs that is tailor made to the imagineers designs. if you look at some of the progress they have made over there already anyways it seems pretty clear to me they want everything done absolutely perfect and don't want to have any compromises.

regardless at the end of the day whatever they do decide to put there will look great.
              I have to disagree. A lighter structure should not be considered being that this is Florida, we get hurricanes. Why not go with a structure that has lasted almost 30 years? It has survived many tropical storms.

Also, Earful Tower was the symbol of the production studios concept, which they are obviously moving away from. Water towers were built at old Hollywood studios to extinguish fires on the movie sets, and that's why WDI chose it as the original Disney-MGM Studios park icon.

The Earful Tower, without the ears, is just an ordinary looking water tower. I don't know why you think it stretches too far from the WDI concept. A water tower, with some new paint, is a new water tower. I think it would be perfect, and it would please fans of ET. It would also be a smart financial decision, which you goofy donald, should be all about.

I do agree with you, whatever comes of this Disney Springs makeover will be fantastic.
              Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 10-29-2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

they want you to actually feel like you are in this small town not like you are in disney's creation of a small town.
                At a place called Disney Springs? :lol:

Comment

I have to disagree. A lighter structure should not be considered being that this is Florida, we get hurricanes. Why not go with a structure that has lasted almost 30 years? It has survived many tropical storms.

Also, Earful Tower was the symbol of the production studios concept, which they are obviously moving away from. Water towers were built at old Hollywood studios to extinguish fires on the movie sets, and that's why WDI chose it as the original Disney-MGM Studios park icon.

The Earful Tower, without the ears, is just an ordinary looking water tower. I don't know why you think it stretches too far from the WDI concept. A water tower, with some new paint, is a new water tower. I think it would be perfect, and it would please fans of ET. It would also be a smart financial decision, which you goofy donald, should be all about.

I do agree with you, whatever comes of this Disney Springs makeover will be fantastic.
                  1) there are lots of new technologies and materials that are both light and strong enough to support something like this.

2) I know why the water tower fits that concept however first its so far removed from the original intentions of that type of object nobody draws that connection, its just a symbol of hollywood in general at this point like a sound stage or a clapboard. second it hasn't been the symbol of the park for over a decade now there is no connection there either. I just don't see the harm in it continuing to sit off to the side and continuing that nice little thing to look at from the highway that says your almost there.

3) water towers and there design are wide ranging and consist of many different materials. they truly come in all shapes and sizes, and some concepts would not be suitable for the earful to be used as the base. if they have a certain artistic concept in mind for the tower then it doesn't matter how much sense it makes financially, its unusable in that application. In many of the artistic renderings I have seen it does not look like your idea is possible, however upon further inspection today I did find one with a view of the tower in the background and it looked almost identical to the earful tower just with a different topper obviously so again your idea isn't out of the question I just believe theres a low likelihood of it happening. we will just have to see what direction they lean in.

At a place called Disney Springs? :lol:
                  I love how you keep looking for a 'gotcha' moment here lol. yes...if you look at the backstory they produced for the land the design is based upon an old floridian town built around a spring that disney absorbed through its purchase of the land. they want you to feel like you are walking through that same old town, not a disney creation.

Comment

I think if it was redecorated to match the Disney Springs theme and was placed in an appropriate location, I wouldn't be against it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X