Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

What if "it's a small world" moved to Epcot?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What if "it's a small world" moved to Epcot?

With talk of "its a small world" possibly being moved at Tokyo Disneyland in the newly announced expansion of Fantasyland in that park,
    ( 'Frozen' attraction to open at Tokyo Disney Resort- Nikkei Asian Review )

...it made me think of a idea that was brought up on another unofficial Disney site (which I can't recall at the moment): moving the ride to Epcot at the front of World Showcase. When I read it I thought it makes perfect sense in terms of theme and message, and simultaneously opens up more room in Magic Kingdom for a new attraction. IASW could be built in the Odyssey Center area and act as sort of an introduction to the World Showcase. I found a similar article on The Disney Blog,
    ( Tokyo Disneyland Renovation may Freeze out It’s A Small World | The Disney Blog ) which makes the great point that Though it's tradition to have "it's a small world" at a Magic Kingdom style park (and I'm all about keeping up old school tradition), I think it would be cool and very appropriate as well as bring a fun change to Epcot.

Thoughts?

Re: What if &quot;it's a small world&quot; moved to Epcot?

Sounds like a good idea- but unfortunately WDW will never shell out the money for it.

Just like adding Frozen to Epcot- instead of changing the ride there and screwing up Norway- they should put the funds into making a better attraction elsewhere like the Studios or Magic Kingdom where it would fit in better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
      With talk of "its a small world" possibly being moved at Tokyo Disneyland in the newly announced expansion of Fantasyland in that park,
      ( 'Frozen' attraction to open at Tokyo Disney Resort- Nikkei Asian Review )

...it made me think of a idea that was brought up on another unofficial Disney site (which I can't recall at the moment): moving the ride to Epcot at the front of World Showcase. When I read it I thought it makes perfect sense in terms of theme and message, and simultaneously opens up more room in Magic Kingdom for a new attraction. IASW could be built in the Odyssey Center area and act as sort of an introduction to the World Showcase. I found a similar article on The Disney Blog,
      ( ) which makes the great point that

Though it's tradition to have "it's a small world" at a Magic Kingdom style park (and I'm all about keeping up old school tradition), I think it would be cool and very appropriate as well as bring a fun change to Epcot.

Thoughts?
      I think this could be a pretty nice idea especially because of all the space that move would open up in fantasyland. I think you might get some backlash as its a pretty iconic fantasyland structure, especially with the pinochio village haus viewing area, however in the sake of progress I think this could be a nice addition for an area with few attractions without actually infringing on the pavilions themselves.

there is the issue though that there simply isn't enough room for it on the current pad where odyssey centre sits, theres enough room width wise but another good 50 feet + of depth is needed. this would require filling in most of the pond space between world showcase plaza and where the odyssey centre currently sits affecting the view of the left side of the world showcase when walking up towards the land. also the pad might need to be dug up and the pund filled in on that spot depending on the amount of weight those pillars can hold as it currently sits partially above the water, not on any firm land. I think if you can get over that smaller point though and just limit the height of the building so that it doesn't interfere with the sight lines of the area it could be a nice overall concept

Comment

I forgot to mention as well, another reason I'd be for this move is that "it's a small world" at MK is the only version of this classic ride that doesn't have the awesome Mary Blair facade. I grew up going to Disneyland and when I started going to WDW in the late '80s and on each trip back there since, I always think what an abomination their version of this ride is. It doesn't have the beauty, artistry, and (most importantly) charm that the original in Disneyland does (or Tokyo, Paris, or Hong Kong for that matter). So as much as I like sticking with Disney tradition, I think getting rid of IASW from this particular Magic Kingdom style park is much less sacrilegious than if it were removed from one of the others. And as I alluded to before, I really feel that the theme of world community and unity of nations and cultures goes exceptionally well with the World Showcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
          I forgot to mention as well, another reason I'd be for this move is that "it's a small world" at MK is the only version of this classic ride that doesn't have the awesome Mary Blair facade. I grew up going to Disneyland and when I started going to WDW in the late '80s and on each trip back there since, I always think what an abomination their version of this ride is. It doesn't have the beauty, artistry, and (most importantly) charm that the original in Disneyland does (or Tokyo, Paris, or Hong Kong for that matter). So as much as I like sticking with Disney tradition, I think getting rid of IASW from this particular Magic Kingdom style park is much less sacrilegious than if it were removed from one of the others. And as I alluded to before, I really feel that the theme of world community and unity of nations and cultures goes exceptionally well with the World Showcase.
          well this move would remedy that as two sides of the building would be exposed allowing for the artistry you suggested. again my only concern would be sight lines and keeping the building low enough in height that it doesn't interfere with the world showcase pavilions. the third side facing mexico could easily be hidden by a backdrop of some kind from the nation or a building facade that way.

honestly the more I think about it, the more I think maybe moving it to the heart of the showcase plaza wouldn't be a terrible idea what do you think about that? all you would have to do is push the building down a little into the ground so the actual boats are in affect operating in like a basement type setting and then install ramps on either side, allowing for the artistic facade that you are calling for at front and centre, and people could still walk up on top of the roof area on the previously mentioned ramps and get a beautiful view of the nations over world showcase lagoon, heck disney could even turn the space into private viewing area you pay extra for to watch the show that will replace illuminations its perfect . so again how about this choice of location? I think it gives you everything you want while still keeping the sight lines and integrity of the world showcase lagoon intact.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
            well this move would remedy that as two sides of the building would be exposed allowing for the artistry you suggested. again my only concern would be sight lines and keeping the building low enough in height that it doesn't interfere with the world showcase pavilions. the third side facing mexico could easily be hidden by a backdrop of some kind from the nation or a building facade that way.

honestly the more I think about it, the more I think maybe moving it to the heart of the showcase plaza wouldn't be a terrible idea what do you think about that? all you would have to do is push the building down a little into the ground so the actual boats are in affect operating in like a basement type setting and then install ramps on either side, allowing for the artistic facade that you are calling for at front and centre, and people could still walk up on top of the roof area on the previously mentioned ramps and get a beautiful view of the nations over world showcase lagoon, heck disney could even turn the space into private viewing area you pay extra for to watch the show that will replace illuminations its perfect . so again how about this choice of location? I think it gives you everything you want while still keeping the sight lines and integrity of the world showcase lagoon intact.
            Having IASW centered in the Showcase Plaza would be ideal, and I'm pretty sure that's what was suggested in the original article I read. I like it best in terms of symmetry and what not, but I just assumed there wouldn't be enough room there (unless they built out around that area) and that it would block the view of the lagoon and the pavilions. I don't know how your idea would work in terms of "pushing the building into the ground," but yeah if they could make it work logistically and aesthetically that would be cool. I just really loved the writer's idea of "it's a small world" with the country pavilions around it, and the bonus of creating room for another (hopefully amazing) ride at MK. The article was calling for a Frozen ride, which makes sense to please the people caught up in the Frozen phenomenon (which is much better than putting it in the Norway Pavilion). But personally I would've had Imagineering make up some hella awesome Alice in Wonderland attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
              all you would have to do is push the building down a little into the ground so the actual boats are in affect operating in like a basement type setting
              That is impossible.

1) A building can not simply be "pushed down".

2) Building underground in the swampy area of WDW would be disastrous. Remember, when you're walking on Main Street, you are on the second floor of the Magic Kingdom. Basements are not built in Florida.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

I think a better option would be to remove the American pavilion and put IASW there.

Then, let the future fifth gate showcase America.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

The energy pavillion could be fine for that it has lots of space, the Ellen energy adventure is extremely boring and outdated, tear it down!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I think small world at EPCOT could be a good addition to the park. They should keep the Mary Blair styling but expand the ride to include new or expanded areas like North America and Australasia. I'm not sure I'd use the odyssey area though it's close to Mexico with its similar ride. Maybe the old millennium village site near the UK, next to the USA or in the area proposed for Africa. You could have a pavillion themed to world children's culture maybe with some other attractions like a story tale ride for Europe or a model village of world landmarks to round things out

Comment

I am all for them moving IaSW to EPCOT, and the current location of the Odyssey Center seems like a good location. Just a few things to point out though...

1) The Odyssey Center is where corporate events at EPCOT currently are located, so a new building would have to be built in current backstage area, which isn't really a problem, but...
                      2) The amount of money that would be spent wouldn't be worth it. They would have to probably completely tear down the Odyssey Center and build a new building, then build a new cooperate building, then build a new ride to put where IaSW currently is at MK. For this cost, about two E-Tickets could probably be built.

WDW currently has issues that are higher on the priority list, but if Disney starts spending more on WDW and the other problems are fixed, I am all for it and they should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
                        That is impossible.

1) A building can not simply be "pushed down".

2) Building underground in the swampy area of WDW would be disastrous. Remember, when you're walking on Main Street, you are on the second floor of the Magic Kingdom. Basements are not built in Florida.
                        1) thats what a basement is....

2) I'm sure there are some feasibly logistical work arounds in this day and age, if they can build a tunnel that stretches underneath the english channel they can find a way to make a basement in the swamp. this would further fit the theme of epcot's futuristic message if they could manage it and help lead the way for the future of homes in areas once thought unsuitable for this type of construction. regardless, fine lets say its not plausible on your perspective, build the walk way up around it so your going up a slight gradient coming up to the attraction with the additional ramp to get to the rooftop deck of the building once you get to the attraction entrance on the second level. it affects the view a little more then previously conceived when walking up to the world showcase from future world but it still in affect works.

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer45 View Post
                          I am all for them moving IaSW to EPCOT, and the current location of the Odyssey Center seems like a good location. Just a few things to point out though...

1) The Odyssey Center is where corporate events at EPCOT currently are located, so a new building would have to be built in current backstage area, which isn't really a problem, but...
                          2) The amount of money that would be spent wouldn't be worth it. They would have to probably completely tear down the Odyssey Center and build a new building, then build a new cooperate building, then build a new ride to put where IaSW currently is at MK. For this cost, about two E-Tickets could probably be built.

WDW currently has issues that are higher on the priority list, but if Disney starts spending more on WDW and the other problems are fixed, I am all for it and they should do it.
                          1) this is simple, they could just utilize the millennium centre and the old wonders of life pavilion more for their corporate events, epcot has tons of space for those activities already its simply under-utilized.

2) the amount of money they would have to spend relocating the attraction would be worth it if they ever wanted to expand the MK at some point in the future. outside of removing the speedway there aren't a whole lot of other options when it comes to finding potential expansion space.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
                            The energy pavillion could be fine for that it has lots of space, the Ellen energy adventure is extremely boring and outdated, tear it down!!
                            this would be terrible. the answer is never to REMOVE pavilions from futureworld, it already is lacking them and energy is a huge part of the future. i personally love it but I agree it is outdated. the answer here is to update not tear down.

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
                              I think a better option would be to remove the American pavilion and put IASW there.

Then, let the future fifth gate showcase America.
                              as long as the 5th gate kept the american adventure I would be behind this idea. in a blue sky world, however we all know a 5th gate will never be truly viable, there simply isn't enough demand that could support it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X