• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jes77
    Minion
    • Feb 2006

WDW Dining Plan Question

I'm planning a WDW trip and want to try the dining plan -- A question I have about it is: how do you USE it?

Is it a card, booklet, resort key, or what? I know it can't be as simple as telling your server "Yes sir I have the dining plan"

Also, do you think it's worth it? I plan on staying onsite for 7 days, so I'm thinking yes but I think it's always wise to get as many opinions as possible ...

Thanks

</IMG>
  • Pacha
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Re: WDW Dining Plan Question

You use your room key. Just hand the server the card you open your room with and tell them that you're using the Dining Plan. Most CM's will ask when you hand them that card, so there's a good chance you won't even have to mention it.

Is it worth it? HECK YEAH!

On our recent trip, the Plan cost us roughly $500 for 4 people staying 5 days. Tallying up the receipts showd that what we would have spent came up to over $600!

Keep in mind that the sit down dinners include an appetizer, a drink, dessert and 18% gratuity. The counter service meals include a drink and dessert. So, yeah, it's well worth it money-wise, not to mention it takes away some of the worry of tracking meal costs and calculating the tip.

Hope this helps...

Comment

• MickeyMania
      Vehicle rotating backward
      • Jan 2005

Depends on how many people and how long you're staying. If there's a number of people in your party, it's convenient because everyone has their own dining allotment and it allows them to try out many of the dining options. And if you get more food than you need, share it with others in your group.

If it's just you, or you have a budget, I wouldn't worry about it so much myself. You're going to get more food than you need unless you can eat a LOT.

Comment

• MainStreetMaggie
        Weaned on Disney
        • Jan 2006

My family and I used the dining plan on a 6 day trip this past September. It was more than worth it. The plan costs the same per day as it would for one sit down meal. It's as if you get two meals for one plus a snack every day. I must warn you though, it was alot of food. The best part was not breaking out the wallet. It made enjoying everything much easier without worrying about the budget. My advice is do it. I think you'll like it. Oh yeah, have fun on your trip!
        Spinning on that dizzy edge.

Comment

• jes77
          Minion
          • Feb 2006

Thanks for the responses! So many decisions -- I AM going by myself (the last two trips I went with friends but they "can't get off work" when I can -- lazy bums )

Will have to do some quick calculations I guess -- Trip is in June and I'm wanting to book soon

Comment

• aimster
            Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

My problem with the dining plan is now making priority seating arrangements is more complicated than before. I only go on day trips since I live about not quite 2 hours away. I usually just hit the counter service restaurants but every now and then I like a nice sit-down meal... especially at the Crystal Palace when I go to MK and Primetime at MGM. Don't they require a credit card when you call for priority seating now? That's another problem because I don't use credit cards (I destroyed them all after I paid them off because they were nothing but trouble).

Comment

• MainStreetMaggie
              Weaned on Disney
              • Jan 2006

I was under the impression that the dining plan was only available to those booking packages and stying on property but I could be wrong.

Priority seating (basically making a reservation), is the same for everyone, regardless of whether you're on the dining plan or not. The dining plan refers only to how you ultimately "pay" for the meal. As for the credit card, it is used only to reserve your reservation and prevent last minute cancellations.

Since you plan to go in June you have ample time to make your arrangements and get exactly what you want. Many places book up fast, like the castle and character dining, so the sooner you book those reservations the better. There is greater flexiblity with the restaurants in Epcot. I have never had a problem making a last minute reservation at the World Showcase with the exception of the hibachi-style restaurant in Japan. You may book up to 90 days before you plan to dine and I recommend you do that. Then just sit back and enjoy your vacation since all of the guesswork about where you will enjoy your sit-down meals is already settled.

Hope this info helps and have fun booking.
              Spinning on that dizzy edge.

Comment

• wolfy
                Still wants to be a cat!
                • Jan 2005

Need any professional help.....PM me!
                Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

• MickeyMania
                  • Jan 2005

If you're going on your own, I would reccomend you not do it. You'll get too much food, and you won't have any friends or family to give it to. You can balance your diet and budget better than Disney's "too much will fit all" plan.

Priority Seating at most places aren't too bad with a party of one. I wouldn't try it with Cindy's Table, but I checked around at some table service places and had no problem getting a table if I wanted one, particularly places that weren't in Magic Kingdom.

Comment

• pixie chick
                    Prefect

• Jun 2005

i've read that it's a lot of food. we will have 2 adults & 1 child. would we be able to buy 2 of them & share with our son?
                    <o>

Comment

• DisneySarah
                      • Oct 2005

Oooh!! oooh!! (raises hand) I have a question too!

Is the dining plan based individually, or does the entire group have to have it? My family is going in June, and my 2 sisters and I will be in the parks for all 6 days, but my parents might only be in the "World" two or three days. Would this work better than my parents handing us cash for food every day? However, my sisters and I are all girls and we don't eat a whole lot... Any help? Thanks!!!!!!!

Comment

• MickeyMania
                        • Jan 2005

Well, the way WDTC packages work is that everyone in the room/package must have the same options, including extra. Dining Plan is attatched to your hotel room stay.

So if they're booking their room seperately for themselves, then yes they can put the dining plan on them. However, you all have to agree to go somewhere to share the food because they have to have their room key scanned.

I'm not quite sure such an idea works beyond snack and fast food service anyway. You're going to get funny looks at the least if five people all walk into a fancier restaurant and 3 of them say "No thanks, I'm sharing with them." However, their orders include appetizers, desert, etc, whether they actually want them or not. So what you may want to do is the 3 of you order an entree and discuss ahead of time what to do with the extras

Comment

• DisneySarah
                          • Oct 2005

Oooooh! I get it, thanks! Nope, that wouldn't work for us.

Comment

• erick13
                            Former CM
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by pixie chick
                            i've read that it's a lot of food. we will have 2 adults & 1 child. would we be able to buy 2 of them & share with our son?
                            If your child is 2 and under then no, but if over then yes. I was checking out what it would cost us if we went again in Dec and for my kid (3 1/2 in Dec) would cost about #375 for 10 nights including meal plan and tickets.

Comment

• markbee
                              Looking for the Mouse!
                              • Jun 2005

OK. I just returned from WDW and had the dining plan. There were 16 of us. It was great. They do give you more food than a normal person eats, however- it is still MUCH less expensive then buying food at the parks. If you are going to eat at wdw every day- GET THE PLAN. It includes one counter service (fast food) meal, one table service (sit down( meal, and one snack/drink per day. The meals include a drink, appetizer, entree and desert.

Even if you don't use all of it- it is substantially less expensive then buying food ala carte at the parks.

Our 5 person family saved over $400 on our food bill, and we had 15 snacks left at the end, which we used for drinks and snacks on the flights home.

Mark Bee
                              Mark Bee
                              Host of the Internationally Syndicated
                              Radio Program "Blades Of Blue"!
                              http://www.bladesofblue.com

Comment

• EagleWings
                                Banned User
                                • May 2005

I totally understand the dining plan and know I'm using it when I go in December with 3 pals (3 of us are 18 and one is 19). But my question is, when do you book the reservations to restaurants? Would I do it a month early or more? And what's the number? I'm in California lol.

Comment

• erick13
                                  Former CM
                                  • May 2005

The number is on WDW's site. Just look at the dining options and you'll find it. ALso you can book seating 180 days in advance. I suggest making them early for some places.

Comment

• markbee
                                    Looking for the Mouse!
                                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by erick13
                                    The number is on WDW's site. Just look at the dining options and you'll find it. ALso you can book seating 180 days in advance. I suggest making them early for some places.
                                    180 days when you can- But we made several reservations in the last 7 days before the trip, and did not get bumped a single time- and 16 people is a BIG group.

Part of the Magic of Disney was that no matter WHAT we asked- they NEVER EVER told us no. ever.

Mark
                                    Mark Bee
                                    Host of the Internationally Syndicated
                                    Radio Program "Blades Of Blue"!
                                    http://www.bladesofblue.com

Comment

• Taggart
                                      Self Congratulative
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by markbee
                                      Part of the Magic of Disney was that no matter WHAT we asked- they NEVER EVER told us no. ever.
                                      Hmmm... I'll remember that the next time I need a stripper party!

Comment

• DisneyDelli
                                        • Feb 2006

Good advice guys, my wife and I are going in July and after doing some quick calculations on our own we decided to do the meal plan. I have special eating restrictions and the plan for my wife and I will save us a ton. (I eat many times, she doesn't) Plus we found that many of the places we would like to eat are covered under the plan. We are planning on eating at Epcot most nights and all of the places we want to go are on the list. It is also interesting that we can use two of the dinner meals to go to the Luau one night. I can't wait for July!!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X