X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mousekiteer
    replied
    Okay, I think I'm getting this now after I saw a new 'Biggest Celebration On Earth' commercial last night.
    I believe that the only reason we've started to notice more WDW focused media is because their celebration has started early. Cinderellabration, Soarin' Over California and Lights, Speed, ETC. already have settled nicely in their new surroundings. But as for us over here at the west coast, we still have to wait until May. Methinks, then, that we might get a bit more attention once May 5 hits but one doubts that.

Leave a comment:

• VBdad55
    replied
    Originally posted by danyoung
    My point is that he's not a clone, any more than I'm a clone cuz I visit both parks. What is appearing in DAK is the actual, one and only Lucky himself, not a clone of the one that appeared in DCA last year. I still think it's stretching for Disney to call him an attraction, tho - more like a street performer.

And welcome over here, dad!
    Glad to join Dan, I like the topic variation here.... and I'm with you-- this is not an attraction...as well as from everything I've read, there is no long term commitment to Lucky at AK....it is a summer trial as well as to see if they can get him to hold up mechanically

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied
    Originally posted by VBdad55
    Wasn't Lucky rolled out in DCA last year ?
    My point is that he's not a clone, any more than I'm a clone cuz I visit both parks. What is appearing in DAK is the actual, one and only Lucky himself, not a clone of the one that appeared in DCA last year. I still think it's stretching for Disney to call him an attraction, tho - more like a street performer.

And welcome over here, dad!

Leave a comment:

• figment1986
    replied
    [QUOTE=sedimentAnd there's a valid reason why cars aren't given away every day during Anniversary celebrations. See if you can guess what it is.[/QUOTE]

Cause GM hates disney and wont renew their contract.. and honda doesn't have it in their sponsorship of the fireworks show????

Leave a comment:

• VBdad55
    replied
    And Lucky is not a clone of anything - he's the totally unique cutting edge of modern animatronics!
    Wasn't Lucky rolled out in DCA last year ?

Sorry I am still learning to navigate better on this site-- I see that this has already come up ( I do like the edit feature here I must say )

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied
    The trash can in DL's Tomorrowland is tons more fun than Lucky, due to the ad-libbable voice.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied
    One reason why it has to be a world-wide celebration is because Pressler/Harriss couldn't put together a celebration if their lives depended on it. Even Cast Member Matt's saving D-Land isn't a whole lot, but then he had only about a month to trash the old plans and create new plans.

And there's a valid reason why cars aren't given away every day during Anniversary celebrations. See if you can guess what it is.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied
    I look at Lucky as more a street performer kind of thing rather than a real attraction. I'd love to see him and his technology, tho.

Leave a comment:

• Jspider
    replied
    To my knowledge Lucky doesn't really have a home. I know that his appearance in DAK is only for a couple of months (which means that Disney calling him a new attraction is somewhat suspect). I think the long term plan is to move him around and give him as much exposure as they can for this new technology.
    I've heard the limited scope is because they arn't quite sure how it will hold up to the long term stresses of being out in WDW

I suppose it'll be interesting to see what they do once Lucky's time is up

Leave a comment:

• Modern Folly
    replied
    Originally posted by MickeyMania

That's probably why. DL marketing doesn't stretch too far past the southwest because the park is filled in with enough locals that it doesn't need to have every tourist in the country heading there too.

Compared to DLR, WDW is a People Sponge that can handle much higher attendance. And the company has more hotel rooms there they want to put people in. Thus, that park gets the lion's share of the countryside.
    Sadly their advertising isn't working for me, I have no intention on going to WDW in the near future, oh well.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied
    Originally posted by Jspider
    and yeah I forgot to point out that Lucky isn't a clone, it's litteraly the same robot from DCA that is shipped over to AK (Lucky was probably designed for AK anyways but beta testing in DCA which is geographicaly closer to imagineering was probably easier)
    To my knowledge Lucky doesn't really have a home. I know that his appearance in DAK is only for a couple of months (which means that Disney calling him a new attraction is somewhat suspect). I think the long term plan is to move him around and give him as much exposure as they can for this new technology.

Leave a comment:

• Bass Shakers
    replied
    "Nobody knows where my 50th Celebration has gone
    But WDW left the same time
    Why was he holding her hand
    When he's supposed to be mine?
    WDW and new attractions just walked through the door
    Like a queen with her king
    Oh, what a birthday surprise
    WDW's castle is wearing his adornments
    It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to
    Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
    You would cry too if it happened to you."

If this is a celebration of the birth of the theme park in general, have Knott's, Six Flags, Sea World and the others jumped on as well? New rides and shows and parties for all! :lol: Or rather, attribute the attractions they'd already planned to Disneyland's 50th.
    Well, whatever the case, how about we say it's all fine and good as long as when WDW's 50th birthday rolls around and all the parks show up to the prom wearing the same gown, Disneyland gets the glory and WDW has to go home and put on an "overlay?" That'll work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Momzilla59
    replied
    Originally posted by circleVision
    Right. It's all the same company. All we see here in Vegas are Disneyland commercials, lot's of them I might add. The newest commercial showing Buzz and Block Party.

Up here in Washington all I see are WDW commercials! Drives me crazy. I'd love to see a commercial for DCA -or Disneyland for that matter. It'd be nice if they stressed that "the happiest celebration on earth" was in honor of Disneyland's 50th. The ads are rather vague on that point (or was I just not paying attention?).

Leave a comment:

• Jspider
    replied
    Well, while I can't speak for what you've seen in your market, I can say that in the official press releases over the past few months, Disney has made a point of saying that while it all started with DL, this celebration is about the birth of the modern theme park, and we're celebrating worldwide. It's not the direction I would have gone, but that's how they're positioning it.
    maybe, I'm not just talking about the teaser commercial either btw, my area's now getting commercials for Lights Moters action and Cinderallabration and of course Soarin

i was mostly irritated that the commercials have called it the "golden celebration" and "the biggest celebration in 50 years" but nowere did they say what it was celebrating

and yeah I forgot to point out that Lucky isn't a clone, it's litteraly the same robot from DCA that is shipped over to AK (Lucky was probably designed for AK anyways but beta testing in DCA which is geographicaly closer to imagineering was probably easier)

the more I think about it the more I'm dissapointed that WDW didn't get better for the 50th actualy, two shows and one actual ride isn't that much when you think about it. AK gets the best Lucky and Expedition Everest will be great additions (and hopefully Lucky works out in the long term so we can see more of this innovation) of course people need to remeber this was stuff WDW was getting anyways and WDW just loves the "celebration/Limited time" type marketing deal because it makes people feel like it's urgent to come see it (I felt that way when the Futuresphere got that wand but once the mellinum was over and they left it my desire faded and I began to see it not as a symbol of excitement but more of a sign of lazyness *like people who leave Christmas Decorations up months after Christmas has come and gone*)

as far as DL being local and non tourist I don't think that's the case at all, I've often pointed out that most people only stop by for one day rather then staying a whole week, it was the last group of management that really cut down on Disneylands advertising (at least now I see it advertised on George Lopez and a few other ABC shows are now showcasing it on occasion, huge improvements over the vague advertisements of yesteryear)

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied
    Originally posted by Hikari to Kurai
    All i've seen are WDW commercials.

That's probably why. DL marketing doesn't stretch too far past the southwest because the park is filled in with enough locals that it doesn't need to have every tourist in the country heading there too.

Compared to DLR, WDW is a People Sponge that can handle much higher attendance. And the company has more hotel rooms there they want to put people in. Thus, that park gets the lion's share of the countryside.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied
    And Lucky is not a clone of anything - he's the totally unique cutting edge of modern animatronics!

Leave a comment:

• Sters
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stStarIC2nite
    I agree that WDW seems to be stealing the celebration ( ), but all in all, I'm happy with what Disneyland is getting. Besides a minor exception with Buzz, all the attractions/rehabs/enhancements are ORIGINAL! This is where WDW fails this year. LMAX, Soarin', Cindy, and Lucky are all clones which is not what WDW needs.
    But Mickey's Philharmagic, Cindarella's Surprise Cellebration, Wishes, Mission Space, and soon to be Everest are original attractions. As for Soarin', Epcot will get a new movie at its 25th anniversary, so it will then be different. What's your point? Seems to me DL's two most recent attractions, Buzz and Tower of Terror, are (gasp) clones! You guys are starting to sound like Canadians bashing Americans with you inferiority complex. Get a grip!!!!

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied
    Well, while I can't speak for what you've seen in your market, I can say that in the official press releases over the past few months, Disney has made a point of saying that while it all started with DL, this celebration is about the birth of the modern theme park, and we're celebrating worldwide. It's not the direction I would have gone, but that's how they're positioning it.

Leave a comment:

• Jspider
    replied
    Umm, that IS how they're promoting it.
    not from what I've seen, I've seen them call it the global celebration and the biggest one in 50 years and other things

but I have yet to see them say that it was the start of theme parks or mention much of Disneyland

maybe it's just were I live or something

Leave a comment:

• Modern Folly
    replied
    All i've seen are WDW commercials.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X