• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A Disney Dreamer
    Banned User
    • Mar 2006

Pleasure Island?

Someone told me it was going- is that true??
  • Stimpy215
    • Dec 2005

Re: Pleasure Island?

I don't see it going anywhere it stills makes a lot of money i think.

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
      Disney Memory Maker
      • Jan 2005

Most of it is going to be torn down in favor of 3rd party chains. The begining will start with a new T-Rex theme restaurant and the demolishion of many of the current features (including the west-side stage). The goal of this is to make PI into more of a family-friendly atmosphere & there will be a bridge connecting PI & the WS.

As for the rest, I'm sure WDW1974 or someone else will be happy to explain further. In the meanwhile, there is information in the news section of this site, and some other sites (one of which would cause this to move to the community outpost).
      Walt Disney

Comment

• Jessicalover
        Married and happy again!!
        • Feb 2006

I really don't see it going anywhere. Sorry to rain on anyones parade but, it is very profitable and it was created for adults not really for familys (that is what the rest of Disney is for). I read the rumors to and that's all they really come off as rumors. While PI needs an updated in my book it serves it's purpose as a place for adults after hours (the locals pour into Mannequins). I would rather see them do more the West Side before they ever worry about PI. WS is lame and needs help. The only fun there is The House Of Blues ( I have caught several awesome acts there). That and Cirque du Soleil La Nouba (well worth the cost). Even Disney Quest is only so so I mean my kids like it and that is what it is really geared for. I'll believe the rumors when Disney comfirms them and not until. That goes for all the rumors I read here. There are just to many false things that get started on the net to buy into them all. I know there will be thoughs that will take this the wrong way sorry if you are one of them. But sometimes I read these post and get tired of the "know it all" attitude that comes across with some. I only post how I feel because unless you really are on the inside yourself (of Disney I mean) you are only taking second hand info and making guesses. Sorry if this came off preachy I just had to voice my feelings on the matter.
        Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
        sigpic

Comment

• captsmith84
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Pleasure Island will not exist once all is said and done. But only in name. I think this is what is making people confused. The name "Pleasure Island" is slated to be phased out. As are the "West Side" and "Marketplace" names. "Downtown Disney" will be the only name, and it will refer to the entire area. The current land that Pleasure Island is on is having roughly 50% of the buildings refurbished or demolished. A new boat dock and boardwalk will be built on the island, the facades will change to mesh with the current "West Side" buildings much more, not to mention some west coast touches (Downtown Disney District in the Disneyland Resort) being applied through out, and an open feeling will take over the entire area, rather than the closed feeling you get now when you walk into PI.

So far, the only club I know that will remain completely untouched is the Adventurer's Club. All the other clubs will either be changed with minor changes (8 Trax and Mannequins) or completely removed or turned into something different entirely. (Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club, Motion, etc.) Most of the current shops will be demolished, and some will be re-located to other parts of the island. A brand new T-Rex Restaurant will open in two years as well on the island, what will then be an entirely different experience. And the stages are being demolished.

Yes, we have some big changes coming.

Comment

• A Disney Dreamer
            Banned User
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bill
            Pleasure Island will not exist once all is said and done. But only in name. I think this is what is making people confused. The name "Pleasure Island" is slated to be phased out. As are the "West Side" and "Marketplace" names. "Downtown Disney" will be the only name, and it will refer to the entire area. The current land that Pleasure Island is on is having roughly 50% of the buildings refurbished or demolished. A new boat dock and boardwalk will be built on the island, the facades will change to mesh with the current "West Side" buildings much more, not to mention some west coast touches (Downtown Disney District in the Disneyland Resort) being applied through out, and an open feeling will take over the entire area, rather than the closed feeling you get now when you walk into PI.

So far, the only club I know that will remain completely untouched is the Adventurer's Club. All the other clubs will either be changed with minor changes (8 Trax and Mannequins) or completely removed or turned into something different entirely. (Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club, Motion, etc.) Most of the current shops will be demolished, and some will be re-located to other parts of the island. A brand new T-Rex Restaurant will open in two years as well on the island, what will then be an entirely different experience. And the stages are being demolished.

Oh! That sounds great- I never understood why they separated the whole area into 3 parts- This should make for a much more orderly environment.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
              Banned User
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bill

They should bulldoze mannequins too. It brings very un-disney, un-family friendly clientel to the park if you catch my drift...

Comment

• Doopey1
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2006

So is it confirmed that they aren't touching the Adventurer's Club? Reading the different stories about the changes it was kinda up in the air if they were keeping any of the existing clubs or closing all of them.
                "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
                --John Lasseter

Comment

• WDW1974
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by askmike1
                  Most of it is going to be torn down in favor of 3rd party chains. The begining will start with a new T-Rex theme restaurant and the demolishion of many of the current features (including the west-side stage). The goal of this is to make PI into more of a family-friendly atmosphere & there will be a bridge connecting PI & the WS.

As for the rest, I'm sure WDW1974 or someone else will be happy to explain further. In the meanwhile, there is information in the news section of this site, and some other sites (one of which would cause this to move to the community outpost).
                  Nope. You and Bill got this one covered. I have nothing really to add that I haven't said already.

P.I. died around 2000. They are just getting around to removing the corpse.

Comment

• Cmash95
                    Banned User
                    • Jul 2005

They should bulldoze mannequins too. It brings very un-disney, un-family friendly clientel to the park if you catch my drift...
                    what kind of clientel would that be ghostbusters?

Comment

• Cmash95
                      Banned User
                      • Jul 2005

several things have lead to PI's demise.

1) citywalk brings competition closer than church street station.

2) extra magic hours means that people can go to the parks at night and take the kids, they have something else to do besides Pleasure Island.

3) the boardwalk area has again added more places to go the espn zone is a huge family draw.

From what I gather PI has become more of a CM hangout in the past few years which is sad. I love PI and the advetures club. I remember when BET was the country hangout. and while I haven't been to ragland road. I loved the jazz club. It was great listening to acoustic jazz for a relaxing evening. I will watch the changes taking place at PI and hope they can get the right mix of clubs and food that can compete with city walk so the area doesn't die a slow and painful death.

Comment

• captsmith84
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

Actually, it comes down to the parking issue and getting people to Downtown Disney. That is where the main issue comes in. People want to leave the parks and go straight to Downtown Disney, not go back to their resort first like the Disney Busses make you. It's really Disney's own fault that Downtown Disney isn't doing well. And, as Cmash95 said, EMH also complicates the issue and makes guests stay in the parks many days of the week. EMH was invented as a crowd control device. So that is where the crowds will go... the park open the latest.

CityWalk does well because two massive theme parks dump into it and Universal's parks generally close early... it doesn't really have any effect on Downtown Disney. Church Street Station is really not anything any longer except for locals and a few people that know about the place. It's no longer a threat to Disney or Universal.

Disney's Boardwalk does considerably well because it is at a hotel. The entire Epcot Resort Area is linked to it and you can walk there. It is very compact and because it is within walking distance, it works out very well. And then you have locals coming in for the ESPN Club. It works perfectly.

Anyway, there you have it.

Comment

• SummerInFL
                          Relax
                          • Sep 2005

Well with anything there is always change, I am glad though they are leaving the Adventures Club alone, it was my favorite. My honey and I went to the Comedy Club and weren't very impressed, I think this is a good thing for them to do personally.

Comment

• uklad79
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
                            I can only assume you mean the many gay men that work hard everyday all over WDW to bring magic to millions? Wake up Dopey there are more queens than princesses in the parks!

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                              Banned User
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by uklad79
                              I can only assume you mean the many gay men that work hard everyday all over WDW to bring magic to millions? Wake up Dopey there are more queens than princesses in the parks!
                              Not sure I follow but you do know in Disney lore queens tend to be evil right?

Comment

• uklad79
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Oct 2005

Not sure I follow but you do know in Disney lore queens tend to be evil right?
                                And so do small minded fools. I have had many a good night in mannequins, I have met some great people and hope it stay's open. After all those pink $$ spent in the parks why shouldn't there be a club that gay men can enjoy. I don't think it's by accident that so many gey men go in their. Disney know their market and this is one with huge spending power.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by uklad79
                                  And so do small minded fools. I have had many a good night in mannequins, I have met some great people and hope it stay's open. After all those pink $$ spent in the parks why shouldn't there be a club that gay men can enjoy. I don't think it's by accident that so many gey men go in their. Disney know their market and this is one with huge spending power.
                                  hmm I guess. I just wish they wouldnt go out of there way to attract attention to themselves in the parks. Its like going to see a good movie and having a guy talking loudly during the film.

Comment

• uklad79
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2005

hmm I guess. I just wish they wouldnt go out of there way to attract attention to themselves in the parks. Its like going to see a good movie and having a guy talking loudly during the film.
                                    Maybe you are secretly looking for them? I haven't noticed any gay men trying attract attention to themselves anywhere in florida. I have seen loads of stupid fat loud mouths, pushy parents thinking their kids own the park, and a few know it all's on Disney forums but never attention seeking gay men unless it was gay day but then you could say that if you were in the park when Night of Joy is on the christians are attracting attention to themselves. Each to their own I don't mind gay's or christians they can do as they wish and enjoy the magic as it's for everyone.

Comment

• Cmash95
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jul 2005

can we try and keep to the thread topic here? if you are that close minded then maybe you should voice your opinion some place else. but this thread is about Pleasure Island the the possible changes. not bashing.

Comment

• MickeyMania
                                        Vehicle rotating backward
                                        • Jan 2005

That's, uh, kind of the idea. Better that the adults have their fun there than in the park, don't you agree?

As for the whole thing about PI being dead, on multiple occasions I found busses packed jammed-tight full of people going to DTD once Magic Kingdom is closed. One heading off from the Grand Floridian was so smooshed that I chose to wait for the next bus instead.
                                        Last edited by MickeyMania; 03-14-2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X