X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Engergy Crisis

Need somebody to help out a bit...

Talking to a co-worker today, she said that in the early 70s (figured it was 1973), she tried taking her kids to WDW, but when she got there, they had signs saying the park was closed due to Nixon ordering its closure, until further notice. So they turned around and went home.

This struck me as odd since the first full closure wasn't until 1999.

So, what was this closure she spoke of? Were they merely opening late on some days due to the energy crisis?
    -Tim

Re: 1973 Engergy Crisis

Never heard of that... the only connections with energy crises I know of was that Epcot was applauded for the scale it was built on and the detail it was built with at a time when it was so expensive to build.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I do know, at the time, the hotels were filled with a lot of vacancies, many area hotels and motels had to close, and the Asia Resort got tossed.
      -Tim

Comment

/\ What they said, never heard of it being closed down. But of course if she asked a CM, we know how good they are with answers for things (Everest is only open on Weekends and such).

Comment

Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum
          Need somebody to help out a bit...

Talking to a co-worker today, she said that in the early 70s (figured it was 1973), she tried taking her kids to WDW, but when she got there, they had signs saying the park was closed due to Nixon ordering its closure, until further notice. So they turned around and went home.

This struck me as odd since the first full closure wasn't until 1999.

So, what was this closure she spoke of? Were they merely opening late on some days due to the energy crisis?
          That is incorrect info. As far as I know... No President has ever ordered WDW to be closed, ever. Although some areas of WDW have been closed off when Presidents decide to stop by for speeches and the like.

Comment

WDW never closed a theme park for even a day until Hurricane Floyd threatened the area, but never hit in 1999.

Since then, there have been closings due to 9/11 and hurricanes in both 2004 and 2005.

Comment

Well, looks like I was correct... just wanted to double check.

To tell you the truth, she's not very bright, either...
              -Tim

Comment

You might want to tell her that Ford was president in '73, not Nixon. )
                Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan
                  ohhh... FACE!!!!

I've heard that before, it's just "Nixion is the Boogie man" talk.

He was the first one to ride the mattehorn and the Monorail though, wasn't he? or one of the first anyway.
                  St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Really?

Comment

ooohhh... I would have loved for you to be right, but Nixon was president in 1973 http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/
                      St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

OMG I am pathetic :mob:
                        Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Well... she called her cousin, who was with her on that trip. Well, apparently, she was wrong about it closing because of saving electric. Now, she says he said it was closed on Sundays due to gas conservation.

Does this sound right for the time?
                          -Tim

Comment

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... NO :P

Disneyland however, way way way back when it first opened (i'm about 80% sure about this so please correct me if I'm wrong) used to close one day a week....
                            Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

Comment

off subject but Nixon gave his "I'm not a crook" speech at the Contemporary Resort.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X