Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person who misses "If You Had Wings"?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only person who misses "If You Had Wings"?

I loved this ride as a child. Now, I know that by today's standards it would be very cheesy, in fact if I remember it was still fairly cheesy by 1980 standards, but as a kid there was no ride I liked better than riding this.

Am I the strangest person to have this be one of the top rides that I miss the most? The only one I miss more is 20k.

I think my list goes

If You Had Wings
    Horizons
    Mr Toad

Re: Am I the only person who misses "If You Had Wings"?

I miss it...

Though, I must admit, Dreamflight is one I have more vivid memories of.

But, the song from If You Had Wings is one of the songs that are normally stuck in head.
    -Tim

Comment

Ur not alone on this one. I really miss the ol' Eastern Airlines living ad. It was one of the first Disney attractions I ever went thru and I remember it well.

How cool would it have been if some of the theme music was worked into EPCOT's Soarin' (at least in the queue).
      People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

Comment

Looks like an interesting ride. Unfortunately, my love for WDW started late in life and because of that, I missed a lot of the cool, now extinct rides. I do remember Horizons very well and really miss it.

Comment

I rode it when it was Delta Dreamflight, and I really liked it.

Have you faced the Yeti?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole
            I loved this ride as a child. Now, I know that by today's standards it would be very cheesy, in fact if I remember it was still fairly cheesy by 1980 standards, but as a kid there was no ride I liked better than riding this.

Am I the strangest person to have this be one of the top rides that I miss the most? The only one I miss more is 20k.

I think my list goes

If You Had Wings
            Horizons
            Mr Toad
            You are not at all alone on this one. This is the one ride that influenced me to become a theme park designer. Mansion played a part as well but I loved riding Wings over and over. I wish they had simply updated the technology and concept a bit instead of ending up with Buzz. To me Buzz is a cheap shooting gallery ride. Wings had heart; with an upgrade it could have easily fit in with today's offerings.

Comment

I miss Wings, too. It was definitely one of the rides we looked forward to in the early days of MK. There usually wasn't a long line, so we were able to ride it a few times in a row if we wanted. Dreamflight was decent as well. Buzz is a lot of fun, but I do miss the old Wings attraction.
              Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Comment

I miss it just in the sense that I love all Omnimover rides you can walk up to with no line...but I'm not overly nostalgic for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsukai
                  I rode it when it was Delta Dreamflight, and I really liked it.
                  Mitsukai, Dreamflight was totally different than, If you had Wings. Go to www.waltdatedworld.com and check out their attraction page. "Wings" was one of those rides that would magically transport you to other places... It was a cool romp thru the caribbean and new orleans, and as a child, I was facinated to see those flying seagulls as we turned around the corner inside that big globe of the Earth in the boarding area.. I miss it terribly and still can hear the music in my head...

I also miss seeing the Swan Boats on the canals around the hub. They added a spark of elegance that even to this day, the MK could use.

Comment

looks like waltdatedworld is either having some dns issues or is no longer online. All I'm getting is a search page.

Comment

Try Widen Your World, then... similar type of page, but that one, well, they had a LOT of appreciation for IYHW. If you had wings, you could do anything, you could widen your world if you had wings...
                      -Tim

Comment

WYW has a lot of nice media, but wow, the text...

To commemorate June 5, 2002, which would have been
                        If You Had Wings' 30th Anniversary had the ride not been closed and torn into a million pieces...

Spaceship Earth just kind of exists with a tacked-on 1994 ending that basically says, "in the future Marty Sklar is right because audio-animatronics will be dead.

The related pages show a clear bias in favor of those components that relate to the park's first fifteen years, when WDW's crowning jewel sparkled with a radiance that was perhaps imperfect but still more brilliant than that of today's mishandled and smudged gemstone.
                        Sheesh! Get bitter much?

Comment

I love that site mainly for the nostalgia factor. His memories of the park take me back to being a kid. My dad also worked there when the park first opened so I've heard his stories as well. His favorite is that he dated snow white. lol

Anyhow, you do have to overlook his comparisons of the park today to back then. Yes, I too would love to be able to travel back in time and visit the park sometime in its first few years or to be able to once again go back to epcot shortly after it opened, but time does move on and things do have to change.

I loved if you had wings, but when I rode the mexico ride I remember thinking how silly the video loops were in Epcot so I can only imagine how silly if you had wings would look now. In truth, aside from the peoplemover view points, buzz is probably a better ride for today than ifhw was, but I still have my wonderful memories.

Comment

ORWEN: Well, I guess I don't mind going on record as saying I miss 'If you Had Wings'. But what I really wish they'd do is bring back the attraction with a slight nod to witches everywhere and re-name it as 'If you Had Brooms'.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole
                              I love that site mainly for the nostalgia factor.
                              Me too, but far too bitter about progress. I mean no one on here comes close to that kind of bitterness.

If You Had Wings (Eastern)
                              If You Could Fly (sponsorless)
                              Dreamflight (Delta)
                              Takeflight (sponsorless)

Ooooh, TDLFan, I always thought the Main Street Swan Boats looked so cool. Any photos to share?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X