This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HM or PM?

If HM were to get an update would you prefer it to be a Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor? Why?

Re: HM or PM?

Well I'm split.

I'd prefer the Phantom Manor to be a unique thing, it just adds to the appeal of Disneyland Paris, and it's cool cos it's a spin-off of the main Haunted Mansion theme. But then again, WDW's HM is so awful and the Phantom Manor is so awesome, it would be a great boost to the park.

T'would never happen though.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

What is different in the Phantom Mansion over the Haunted Mansion?

Comment

It takes the hinted-at storyline of the Bride in the Haunted Mansion (well it has now been properly realized at Disneyland but it wasn't then) and expands it into a whole attraction. It also has Wild West undercurrents as it is in Frontierland. It has an amazing backstory, fully authorised by Disney unlike the Haunted Mansion which has quite a few back stories being chucked around with not one officially recognised.

It is notable for having updated effects compared to the Haunted Mansion as it was built in the early 1990s, and for having Vincent Price himself record the original narration.
        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Well, due to certain laws n' such, the narroration has been changed to a French-speaking voice. You may find Vincent's original lines on the internet though.

There's quite a difference between PM and the HM. Stated above, PM has a western feel and follows the story of a betrayed bride and an evil groom.

The foyer painting along with the stretching portraits are all different in both locations. Madame leota rcites her incantations in both English and French. There is a scene of the bride crying in front of her mirror and the ballroom is actually a celebration of the bride's wedding, where you can see her crying. Of course you see her in the attic as well. The graveyard is probably the most dramatic difference. After leaving the balcony, you head down, but instead of going into a cemetary, you proceed through a whole which leads to caverns underground. (You pass under the evil groom and his dog on your way there). Here, there's a ghost town that has a mayor, zombies, an insane scientist, plus more. The bust are the same (except there a four instead of five) but Grim Grinning Ghost takes on a slightly different style.

In the end, you pass by the bride's corpse which points towards the exit.

After you get off, you'll pass by a cemetary of "Boot Hill". Funny tombstones n' such are located here.

Hope that helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Back to topic.

As long as the haunted mansion gets some improvements, then I'd love to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway
            It takes the hinted-at storyline of the Bride in the Haunted Mansion (well it has now been properly realized at Disneyland but it wasn't then) and expands it into a whole attraction. It also has Wild West undercurrents as it is in Frontierland. It has an amazing backstory, fully authorised by Disney unlike the Haunted Mansion which has quite a few back stories being chucked around with not one officially recognised.

It is notable for having updated effects compared to the Haunted Mansion as it was built in the early 1990s, and for having Vincent Price himself record the original narration.
            Not to mention it has a GREAT orchestration piece.

Comment

Actually here's a couple of sites that might help you.

Here's one all about HM and PM, pus more:
              http://www.doombuggies.com/

Here's one with tons of awsome sounds tracks and voice talents that are heard in the haunted mansion, phantom manor and during haunted mansion holiday:
              http://www.soundofmagic.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio
                If HM were to get an update would you prefer it to be a Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor? Why?
                Our Haunted Mansion is not set up for a big Phantom Manor version and so instead of getting a half-assed Phantom Manor I say stick to a full version of Haunted Mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio
                  I would like to see some of the added touches they have included in recent upgrades from TDL's and DL's mansion done to the MK's Mansion as well.. While I love DLP's Phantom Manor... I would prefer for it to remain unique since that particular version plays well in regards to the rest of Frontierland's Thunder Mesa storyline... Remember.. MK's Mansion is in Liberty Square and should not include reference to the old west in any way.

Comment

With the Mansion's location, it could just as easily "move" to Frontierland. The precedent is there, it would be the same way that the Matterhorn moved from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                      With the Mansion's location, it could just as easily "move" to Frontierland. The precedent is there, it would be the same way that the Matterhorn moved from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland.
                      The difference being that there isn't an entirely different setup between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland that kept the Matterhorn isolated. yes it could easily be "moved" but the architecture of the manor and the surrounding buildings do not fit.

I say keep Haunted Mansion, but different. If story lines are going to be made more apparent I would like different characters between the southern manor and the northern one.

Comment

Haunted Mansion

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                          The difference being that there isn't an entirely different setup between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland that kept the Matterhorn isolated. yes it could easily be "moved" but the architecture of the manor and the surrounding buildings do not fit.

I say keep Haunted Mansion, but different. If story lines are going to be made more apparent I would like different characters between the southern manor and the northern one.
                          I have ridden the HM in DL and WDW and the PM in DLP. I prefer the PM but would like to see it remain unique to DLP. I haven't seen the new improvements made to the HM in DL but I agree with lazyboy970, if the storyline is going to be made more apparent in WDW it should have a northern twist to it and its characters. Something that would tie in with LS and not FL or NOS.
                          Cliff
                          WDW '72, '97, '00, '02, '03 '06 '07, '08 DL '98, '05, '10 DLP '00 DCL '09

Comment

Well, after reading all this, I just want to see it get updated. I actually love the mansion as is. I don't really need a storyline. To me it's always been a slightly wimsical look at a haunted house.

I would however love to see the effects in the graveyard and the attic, and especially the seance scene upgraded majorly. To me the rest of the mansion works great as is. The ballroom is still very impressive and the hallway entrance works fine. The only problems come in the graveyard, the sceance scene, and the attic. I'd also like to see the new hitchiking ghosts they're talking about putting in HM.

Other than that, just spruce up the audio a bit and it's a great ride still.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X