A great place to watch [parade/fireworks/show] is ...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bending Unit
    • Apr 2005

A great place to watch [parade/fireworks/show] is ...

Hi all,

As part of my on-going prep for our WDW trip in September, I was wondering if any of you had some great tips on where to watch the parades / shows / :vogue: at WDW!

I believe on offer will be:

Illuminations
    Spectromagic (selected days) & Wishes
    Fantasmic

Share a Dream Come True
    Stars and Motor Cars
    Jammin' Jungle Parade

Maybe you have some great 'watch from there and then you can ride [...] straight afterwards' tips?

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
  • sealsm
    Main Street with a friend
    • Feb 2006

Re: A great place to watch [parade/fireworks/show] is ...

I love illuminations because you can see it pretty well from anywhere around the lake. My two favorite places to watch it is in front of Norway and in front of Japan. Those areas don't seem to fill up as quickly, so you don't have to sit in front of the gate forever to reserve a spot, plus you are next to speakers so the sound is excellent.

For Spectromagic, the ideal seat for me is up on the platform of the train station, looking down at the street. You're not down next to the parade, but you have chairs to sit in and can see the castle as the parade goes by. That area seems to fill up fast, so some waiting may be required if that is your goal. Another spot I usually grab is right outside of LTT or Diamond Horseshoe. Those ares have steps and porches, so even if little kids (and older kids) crowd up along the rope, you can still be a little "above" and have a clear view.

For Wishes, I like to just stand in the middle of Main Street with the other millions of guests. This is, obviously, not the best tactic if you want to work your way back into the park, but I think the castle is so central to the show and I always enjoy it even if I am cramped in. I've also watched it from benches between the hub and Adventureland, but the trees get in the way of some of the firework effects. It's a good spot if you've seen the show lots before and aren't really concerned about missing anything. I always like to have the best viewing, though.

I don't have a recommended spot for the others. They aren't my favorite parades, and I just end up stopping wherever when the parade comes through. I'm sure others have great suggestions though. Hope this helps!
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Comment

• flynnibus
      MiceChatter
      • Jun 2006

wishes - gotta be in front of the castle somewhere. The walkways (like to tomorrowland) are OK.. but the more on center you are.. the better

illuminations - anywhere as long as you have a water-level view as well. Most of the show is 'low' so don't get caught behind other people. Last time we sat on the bridge just to the left of American Adventure and it was a near perfect spot.

spectromagic - a cute place we found last time was right as the parade enters liberty square. Because it narrows down there.. you get MUCH closer to the floats and characters with less people to contest with. We actually had a spot in front of a tree 'box' right next to the food stand and stand that sells the umbrellas. This spot allowed a space between the box and rope for our family only.. no one behind us or in front of us.. and we had basically a 'box seat' for the parade. The only negative is because is so narrow there, the demon from fantasia does not open his wings in that area.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Bender Rodriguez
        Bending Unit
        • Apr 2005

Thanks sealsm and flynnibus! Some good insider tips there.

I may have to get out the 'ol park maps since its been a while (Paris and Tokyo were the most recent parks!)...

Sealsm, I think I may have watched a parade from the spot you mentioned -- the platform at the train station. Was ideal for an overview, though a little out-of-the-way from the parade. Hmmm...

Maybe I'll bring stilts? That and an enormous foam hat.

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
          Disney Memory Maker
          • Jan 2005

Wishes- Unlike Fantasy in the Sky (which had more or less equal viewing from anywhere in the park), Wishes is a must-be-on-Main-Street show for me. My favorite two spots are in the middle of Main Street (somewhere between Caseys & Center Street) and on top of the train station.

Illuminations- The ideal spot is in World Showcase Plaza, but it is only open if the fire marshall deams it safe & everyone has to sit down. Realistically, my favorite spot is right next to the America Gardens Theatre (on the Italy side). You get a clear show with no trees in the way. My least favorite spots are anywhere between France & Canada (way too many trees).

Fantasmic- As low and to the center as possible.

Share A Dream/Spectro- The Tomorrowland entrance if you are on Main Street or next to Pecos Bills if you are in Frontierland.

Motorcars- Sitting down on the steps of ABC Theater

Jammin- Anywhere in Africa (if you miss it in the begining, you'll catch it in the end).
          Walt Disney

Comment

• sealsm
            Main Street with a friend
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
            Motorcars- Sitting down on the steps of ABC Theater
            I've sat their before. That's not a bad place. It's especially nice when it's really sunny and you are in the shade.
            "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
            - Walt Disney

Comment

• Bender Rodriguez
              Bending Unit
              • Apr 2005

Yeah, you two, shade... now there's something I hadn't even considered. With our delicate British skins we'll be a big fat prawn fry-up.

Isn't there some merit to being near the beginning of a parade because by the time you see the back of it, half the crowd are still watching and you can dash for that short line at Splash Mountain / BTM / SM and other abbreviations with generally long queues?

(This coming from a guy who sees parades as valuable queueing time, but ho hum, I'm in a party of five so I'm trying to please everyone!)

Comment

• Micki0624
                • Jan 2006

For any of the fireworks shows at Mk I like to go sit at a table at the eating area near the Tomorrowland Noodle Co. If you get there early enough you sit in the front at a table w/ chairs. It's a little to the right of the castle but is a great view. If you can't sit in front or second row don't. The hanging will cut off the view. We like to eat there a bit early and sit for the fireworks. The great part is no one is standing in your way.
                Kungaloosh!

Comment

• TDLFAN
                  Banned User
                  • Feb 2005

A great place to watch a show or parade? TDL of course!! (sorry, could not resist)

Comment

• captsmith84
                    Banned User
                    • Jan 2005

Illuminations
                    Watch this so you can see the center of the lagoon, and so you're upwind... look at the flags and torches before the show to check which way the wind is blowing. You don't want to be down wind of Illuminations.
                    Spectromagic
                    Go to the second showing of the parade if there is one, and watch it from Frontierland for very limited crowds. If you don't mind missing the last float of the parade or two, watch it from the Splash Mountain side of the route, and you can run to Big Thunder Mountain with little or no wait after the parade.
                    Wishes
                    There are two locations I highly advise. One if from the hub, towards the right side. Now, if you don't mind being in the middle of the show, with fireworks going up all around you, I'd watch the show in Fantasyland, in the area just to the right side of Dumbo. You'll have an amazing view, though you'll need to turn around multiple times to see all the fireworks. If that doesn't bother you, it's an amazing experience to be in the middle with fireworks all around you. And you can hop right on Winnie the Pooh with no wait right afterwards usually.
                    Fantasmic!
                    Go to the second showing of Fantasmic! if there are two showings. You'll need to get there fairly early to get a good seat.
                    Share a Dream Come True
                    It's less crowded in Frontierland if you want to watch, but if you skip this parade, you'll be able to ride the attractions in the park with less of a wait.
                    Stars and Motor CarsThis parade is best seen from... well, near the hat courtyard. It's not all that much better from there though, the announcements of who's who just make more sense in that location. lol
                    Jammin' Jungle ParadeIf you watch it from Africa, you'll have an excellent shot of getting on Kilimanjaro Safaris with little or now wait after you see this parade, no matter the posted wait time.

Comment

• Bender Rodriguez
                      Bending Unit
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                      A great place to watch a show or parade? TDL of course!! (sorry, could not resist)
                      You can see Illuminations all the way from TDL? And don't say all the pyro, effects and dazzle obscure your view... )

Actually, we could have used a good viewing spot for BraviSEAmo, ended up once in the Rennaisance castle and once on the bridge from the American Waterfront.

But we digress.

Comment

• Bender Rodriguez
                        Bending Unit
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bill
                        Go to the second showing of the parade if there is one.
                        Hey Bill, thanks for these tips! Did you just rattle that off or copy it from an ever growing FAQ stowed up your sleeve? Impressive and very useful!

As for the 'second showings', as far as I can tell there are none in the last two weeks of September (except for Wishes on the 30th). Probably because of the low-season. You know, with hurricanes and heat strokes.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X