Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for this. The endless "we/they, you/us stole" posts.... Everyone should realize that every ride starts at WDI in Glendale. They design and build the rides in CA, in FL, in Tokyo, in Paris, and now Hong Kong. The same design teams build the rides everywhere in the world. It is the park management who is the client that decides to either pay for a new ride design or not. And that decision goes back up to corporate for approval (or comes down from them).
    Yes, but root problem that I see is the funding and management priorities w/in Disney Co, not
    the Imagineers in WDI. BTW. TDR is out of that picture, because that funding comes
    from OLC (hence, the vast improvement in quality and maintenance over the
    other parks).

I just don't see MGM (even w/ the overcrowing in the ToT-RnR corner) as
    having problem that is a priority over what DCA is like or how
    DL hasn't had a major *new* ride in over ten years. (until Buzz I guess).

BTW. building a new ride in the opposite corner won't resolve the overcrowding
    problem at ToT-RnR. You'll just attract more people into the park.

Anyway, completely my two cents....

Comment

When will MGM become a full day park? I think an Indy ride is another big step to get there. MGM always seems to close at 7:00 when I'm in Florida, granted I'm usually there in October, March, and May, but I think MGM will never be a full day park until they justify staying open to 9:00pm on a consistant basis.

I think they have way too many shows and not enough actual rides. I've been going there since they opened and I rarely go see the Indy show anymore.

Star Tours? Way outdated, I laugh now when I go on now. Star Wars special effects have changed so much since they made this ride. Why did they ever install fastpass at this thing?

Great Movie Ride? I used to like this ride, seems pretty outdated now, especially that Touchstone Pictures "highlight reel" at the end.

Backlot Tour? Old and outdated to me. Thank goodness they tore down residential street. Did anyone really want to see the Golden Girls house anymore? It was cool in 1989... And how many times can I see Catastrophe Canyon?

I love the MuppetVision, I always think I'm not going to like it as much each time I see it, but its always pretty good to me.

TOT and RNR? Two of my favorite rides, great additions to MGM

What else is there? Even if Indy gets added, they have a lot more work. Maybe the Monsters Inc. ride thats set for California Adventure? Whats wrong with adding some cheezy dark rides?

Comment

Originally posted by cubsd
        Blu-ray IS superior to HD-DVD, just like Betamax was superior to VHS. Which one won out?
        Warner Brothers, Universal, New Line Cinema, and Paramount are all going with HD-DVD. That leaves Sony and Disney on Blu-ray.
        Blu-ray is the favorite for computer makers, but most people still watch DVDs in a player, not on their computer.
        HD-DVD has 85 different titles that will be released before years end, including "Batman Begins", The Harry Potter series, and "Braveheart".
        Blu-ray MAY have some titles available in 2005, but most likely 2006.
        20th Century Fox is a member of the Blu-Ray association as well.
        There is no doubt that most, if not all, Blu-Ray players for a long time will be DVD compatible. Neither side is going to kill themself with that issue.

It should be interesting to see what happens, especially with Sony reaching out to try to get Toshiba and the HD-DVD group to work with them on a universal standard before things become too much of a mess.

My understanding is, that from a production standpoint, HD-DVD is a very simple change/cheap from DVD production, therefore the change over should be quick. Blu-ray requires a new infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yensid TlaW
          Great Movie Ride? I used to like this ride, seems pretty outdated now, especially that Touchstone Pictures "highlight reel" at the end.

What else is there? Even if Indy gets added, they have a lot more work. Maybe the Monsters Inc. ride thats set for California Adventure? Whats wrong with adding some cheezy dark rides?
          Maybe DCA and Disney MGM both need to develop attractions that would work in both parks...

My idea is send the Great Movie Ride to CA to pay tribute to the history of the movies, since it's been running for so long already in FL and everybody's seen it over there. Then you can build a Hyperion East, and run the sort of shows that DCA does. The Hyperion at DCA is really a very high capacity theater, I dont think it'll be torn down because of the investment they put into it. So that means DCA will keep doing live shows in there, so after Aladin's run is through, they can develop them for both parks or move the productions back and forth... run Aladin in FL and make a new show for CA, then send that one to FL and so forth.

Meanwhile, develop some cool rides that can work for DCA or D-MGM. Pretty much any thing that's developed after a movie franchise would work in either park, not just the Hwood Pictures Backlot at DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrone
            Thank you for this. The endless "we/they, you/us stole" posts.... Everyone should realize that every ride starts at WDI in Glendale. They design and build the rides in CA, in FL, in Tokyo, in Paris, and now Hong Kong. The same design teams build the rides everywhere in the world. It is the park management who is the client that decides to either pay for a new ride design or not. And that decision goes back up to corporate for approval (or comes down from them).
            Exactly, in effect WDI sells a ride like Splash Mtn to DLR, WDI is in charge of designing and building it, but when it's done, they turn over the keys and it's Disneyland's baby. Good explanation by the way.

Basicly each resort has to budget for their own capital improvements and when they see some candy on the shelf, they can scrounge up some pennies...

Ooooh, are those the plans to Disney Sea? We could build that here in FLORIDA....

Comment

My idea is send the Great Movie Ride to CA to pay tribute to the history of the movies, since it's been running for so long already in FL and everybody's seen it over there.
              I love that idea. The only problem is it would probably have to be an abbreviated version since the GMR takes up so much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Yensid TlaW
                I love that idea. The only problem is it would probably have to be an abbreviated version since the GMR takes up so much space.
                Actually I was thinking they could add a few new scenes... make it longer even.

It should really be set up to show the different genres and periods of movie history, and include more DISNEY and also more recent movies.

They can use up as much of the TIMON Parking Lot as they need.

Or better yet, make it underground like Pirates (keeps the AA's cool) and build a New Orleans Square type area of shops and restaurants on top of it.

Comment

I disagree on Indy

Hello!! Doesn't anyone realize that Indiana Jones is anchient history!! The films were first done in the 1980's. Harrison Ford is a senior citizen now! :lol: DMS needs a fresh new attraction maybe like the Indiana Adventure at Disneyland, but not something based on this film. They aren't making any more Indy films any more, people! The series is like a worn out tire. The reason people are growing tired of the Indy show at DMS because it recreates scenes from a movie that they have all watched a dozen times on their DVD at home!! :monkey: Do we have to use a 30 year old idea? Come on! When I was growing up inte the 70's, if someone were to install a ride from the 40's I would have laughed!! :lol: There must be some new ideas or movies to feature at DMS!! Have there been no good adventure movies since the early 90's?

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                    Hello!! Doesn't anyone realize that Indiana Jones is anchient history!! The films were first done in the 1980's. Harrison Ford is a senior citizen now! :lol: DMS needs a fresh new attraction maybe like the Indiana Adventure at Disneyland, but not something based on this film. They aren't making any more Indy films any more, people! The series is like a worn out tire. The reason people are growing tired of the Indy show at DMS because it recreates scenes from a movie that they have all watched a dozen times on their DVD at home!! :monkey: Do we have to use a 30 year old idea? Come on! When I was growing up inte the 70's, if someone were to install a ride from the 40's I would have laughed!! :lol: There must be some new ideas or movies to feature at DMS!! Have there been no good adventure movies since the early 90's?
                    Hmmm... I take it that you haven't heard the news?

I agree that the last movie came out in the '89 and that Harrison Ford is technically
                    a senior citizen, but number four is coming out. Indiana Jones is definitely not
                    "ancient history".

Spielberg Films on Indy 4

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                      Actually, copmared to the Indiana Jones movies, there really hasn't been any good adventure movies since the early 90's. Atleast none that stand out as legendary as Indy. Though i highly agree with the thought that the stunt show is just recreated scenes yuo can watch at home. After the first time i watched the stunt show, i never had urge to see it again when i could just watch the awesome movies. An Indy ride would work because relaly the only thing related to the movie is the Indy character. The DIsneyland Indy isn't based on any particular movie. It just has the rolling boulder from Raiders. That's about it. Base it on a movie, you can still get a fresh product.

Click the banner! ^^^^
                      Follow us on Twitter
                      @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                      Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Even the TDS Indy has a different storyline from the DL one, albeit, same ride for the most part, only with nicer special effects.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                          Even the TDS Indy has a different storyline from the DL one, albeit, same ride for the most part, only with nicer special effects.
                          That's about the most I've heard about Tokyo's Indy... Can you elaborate on the details? What is the storyline in Tokyo, what is the building themed like, how is the queue set up, what did you like better?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
                            That's about the most I've heard about Tokyo's Indy... Can you elaborate on the details? What is the storyline in Tokyo, what is the building themed like, how is the queue set up, what did you like better?
                            Too many details to explain here, just read this little synopsis...

http://www.tdrfan.com/tds/lost_river...ones/index.htm

Or the explanation on TDS' site.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...c_indiana.html
                            Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-19-2005, 11:15 PM.

Comment

What about the fire effect in the main room? Is the vortex really that better?

Comment

The vortex is cool to look at because they have spot lights that "paint" it. But it's a similar effect you see at Universal's twister in the center of the stage. There are no fire effects at TDS' Indy and some fans think that makes it inferior, however, I don't prefer one over the other, but TDS' does have better mood lighting a upgraded effects.

Comment

Hopefully if they do a clone for WDW, it will be a mix of the best effects from the Tokyo ride and the fire from the Anaheim ride.

Comment

As long as they keep Paco.

Comment

To me, Tokyo's is far superior to Disneyland's. Honestly, I didn't even know there wasn't fire effects, because I was too busy looking at the huge amount of other apecial effects that consume the Tokyo version. First off, the Crystal Skull is way way cooler then the dumb little Mara with the blinking eyes in Anahiem. The twister is simply incredible, and a lot better executed then Twister in Universal Florida. It's a shining blue vortex which spans the height of the show building. Tons better then generic fire effects which are overused in Anahiem to distract you from the obviously fake 'lava' effect used as the floor in the main show room. The statue that blows a smoke ring around your car is a million times better then our seriously lame 'dropping rat' hologram effect that hardly ever works. But the coolest improvements, IMHO, is the dart room. Ours is so freaking cheap, simply a normal dark ride room with painted flat walls that look like statues that shoot air. In Tokyo, you have these awesome completely 3D sculpted evil looking statues with glowing red eyes...and when they shoot the fake darts, it's actually scary. The cue, you could argue is about the same in detail and scope, although a completely different experience. They don't have Disneyland's 'cave sequence' or 'spike room', but they make up for it by a giant Pyramid cue area with hundreds of skeletons and excavator bridges, and my favorite part......this awesome, creepy, metel reflective mirror type thing which every 5 minutes or so, has an entire show sequence where a blue light shines on it, getting brighter and brighter until it's blinding. Then nothing. It's totally beautifal, and incredibly unsettiling. A little detail that really sets the tone for a scary experience (even though, of course, the ride is just silliness.) Another improvement in the Tokyo version is that Indy's office isn't enclosed in a cage so you can't see any of the detail inside of it like in Anihiem. It's completely open and right up close to the cue, and you can see everything. I assume this is because the Japanese don't totally vandalize the cues like Americans would, but it's a massive improvement, and totally immerses you.

And the best thing of all about Tokyo's version??? It IS ROUGH, WILD AND JERKY! EXACTLY how Disneyland's was during it's first year of operation, before whiney and fat stupid americans complained to Disneyland and they toned ours down about 75%, making for (compared to Tokyo's) a really yawning experience for those that had never ridden the original. The same reason they added trim brakes to Muholland Madness, and DCA's bumper cars have the same thrill as being hit at 1MPH by a nerf ball.

I love Disneyland, but Tokyo's Indy is superior in too many ways to even possibly make a comparison.

Comment

WOW! you did great up there with your assessment of TDS' Indy. Reason why I didn't even want to attemp it on my post #33 above!

Comment

Are there only five or six good ideas out there!

Originally posted by nish221
                                          Hmmm... I take it that you haven't heard the news?

I agree that the last movie came out in the '89 and that Harrison Ford is technically
                                          a senior citizen, but number four is coming out. Indiana Jones is definitely not
                                          "ancient history".
                                          Have people forgotten that sequels are more often than not a poorer version of the original. How many people loved the last couple Star Wars movies? Anybody excited about the next one? Good ideas are sometime beaten to death because they are repeated so much. How many people are excited about Lion King 1 1/2? Are there only a few good ideas left in the Universe? Come on! Walt would not repeat himself like this.

Use the same technology and do something new. There has to be something better, something greater to be done! :confused: I refuse to accept that every part has to have all the same rides done over and over again. I might be fun to argue about which version of Indy at which park is better, but let's move on. There are new and more exciting things to create and experience.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X