X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Unbuilt POTC Idea

I found this on http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id205.htm
    It was an effect that Marc Davis made for WDW Pirates ride but it was never used.

Re: An Unbuilt POTC Idea

I've seen that before. Why didn't they put that in(besides the whole budget troubles)? It would be pretty sweet.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
    sigpic
    Flickr

Comment

maybe we will see it in the update!!

Comment

According to original plans for the updates, something somewhat similar was supposed to be added, in a different fashion, but got axed for some reason or another.

I'd be surprised to see this or anything like it used.

Comment

Yeah something similar was to be added, the crow's nest Pirate at the end of the drop but he was axed.
          The finale for WDW was also to have been a treasure filed Island with this pepper's ghost effect too at one point.

Comment

WDW's was to be grand.. but got cut to the cliff notes version we got now...

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986
              WDW's was to be grand.. but got cut to the cliff notes version we got now...
              I have never heard this story.

Comment

Ditto. I never heard WDW's was to be grand. I heard Marc Davis wanted to upgrade things and make some additions, but never a grand version that was cut back.

Comment

western river expedition was a grand idea... then got pushed back for pirates of the carribbean... which was to be improved but cut to a cliff notes version...

Comment

Again, never heard that. Everything I've always heard has Pirates was cut down because the room for it in a proper location was not there. Never a plan to have a bigger and better Pirates (except probably in Blue-Sky fantasy, which I must say doesn't really count). Western River is sometimes still in the picture and still panned to be the big boat ride.

Comment

The most common POTC/Western River Expedition story I've heard is this:

Western River Expedition was to be WDW's POTC. At the time when WDW was being planned and built, everyone thought that POTC wouldn't be as big of a deal in Florida because of its proximity to the Caribbean, and pirate stories and legends were all ready a part of the culture. WRE would have been more of a cowboys and indians, taming of the west story. This was seen as more exotic than pirates for Florida. WRE was to be built after the park had recouped some losses and had some strong attendance.

When the MK opened, attendance was much stronger than expected and the audience was virtually the same as DL was seeing, and that audience wanted pirates, NOW. So the decision was quickly made to add POTC to not only please Guests, but to also add much needed capacity to the park (and a very empty area of the park). Because of the speed in which they needed the new attraction, it was watered down from DL's with plans to expand it later. However, after POTC was built, the company focused on larger projects for the Florida property (Space Mountain, BTMRR, EPCOT Center, etc).

Comment

Basically. I never heard of the
                        expand it later
                        part, but what you said is about the story.

Comment

There is a story about all of this including both POTC (at WDW) and WRE on Jim Hill, its like 12 parts or something though

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X