This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Mountain re-imagineered

Does anyone know anything about Space Mountain in Florida getting the same rehab that Disneyland's just got??

I had heard/read somewhere that when they got finished with the Disneyland's Space Moutain, they were going to do the same with the WDW version?

Your thoughts/knowledge??

I never heard of this. I guess it makes sense, but I never heard it.

Comment

Can't say I've heard it, but it would be a welcome rehab in my opinion.

Comment

I would love the same treatement to WDW's as DL's got..

Find a company who can make WDW's 2 track layout nearely identicle with modern day tech.... Then give it the referbishment...

If they can't do that.. do not make it one track...

Comment

it's not scheduled yet...Pirates and Haunted Mansion are getting major refurbishments first, but it would be nice for Space to get one after that...maybe not a 2-year refurbishment though On-ride audio would rock.
          -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
          I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Adding a launch system to SM would be number one on my wishlist for changes to it.

Comment

Fl Space Mountain is BY FAR the most dissapointing SM of all disney Parks. Such a shame given the mammoth size of the structure. My suggestion - do away with the 2 practically identical tracks & build one Kick coaster along the lines of the Paris Version. & PLEASE DARKEN THE PLACE UP!

The coaster itself is old & barely thrilling. I liken it to the Matterhorn in DL. A refurb should be on the cards as MK's next major project. Fingers crossed
              I'm just a bit more than Just Really Nice!

Comment

I feel the same way Mickey_D. There is so much room in that structure to do something amazing. LIM launch, better props and effects, smoother track layout, perhaps one high capasity track rather than two.

It will be interesting to see if this really happens. Doesn't sound like anyone would be upset to see changes yet.
                MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                Save

Comment

It will be interesting to see how much like Paris' SM 2.0 the Anaheim park will be... I know we aren't getting that launch through the cannon and the track will remain the same but does any body know how similar the actual "show" inside will be? Was Paris's update put in place to keep it a step ahead of Anaheim? Are they ultimately going to be the same now, except minus the launch in CA? If so, it would make sense to give Disneyland it's treatment now, before the 50th, where we have less room for the addl launch sequence and then bring an exact duplicate of 2.0 from Paris over to FLORIDA in 2006 or 07.

I'm operating under the assumption the "show" itself will be about the same inside. I also assume HKDL is getting an exact copy of CA's new Space Mtn. since that was probably the genesis of all these Space Mountain remodels... The Chinese probably couldnt understand what the appeal was of 1978's Space Mtn for Hong Kong 2005.

Comment

Yep ... HKDL is getting the same exact Space Mountain that DL will be.
                    And WDW's version needs to be gutted completely and brought into the 21st century. Unlike Anaheim, they have oodles of space to make Space the most talked about WDW attraction again.

Comment

....and that^^^ honor goes to Paris'.

Comment

Well Paris has to be known for something.
                        When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Comment

I still feel that the coaster needs to be fixed.. but not replaced entirely....

the layout is thrilling... just make a few mods that people suggested.... make it darker.... upgrade the effects.... and finally... replace the track but ot entireley an redo both sides.. make one side slightly different than the other.....

but not gut and replace with a paris version.... WDW already has Rock N Roller coaster.... hey dont need a version in the MK... where fantasy lives....

Comment

I agree that they should redo Space Mountain at WDW. But I do not think it should be the same version as any where else in the world. It should be different because that will give WDW another bragging right.

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986
                              I still feel that the coaster needs to be fixed.. but not replaced entirely... but not gut and replace with a paris version.... WDW already has Rock N Roller coaster.... they dont need a version in the MK... where fantasy lives....
                              Good point about Paris and the launch being too similar to RnR.

I have a feeling that although all the parks are getting some of the upgrades they invented for Paris and Hong Kong (and now Disneyland)
                              Paris and FL will always differ a bit from CA and HK (which will be identical). FL is the largest building right? So it could find another way to stand out besides the launch.

Maybe there's room for a loop if they redo the track in Orlando.

Comment

I know people will probably kill me with sticks for this one, but I really like the MK version of Space Mountain. But i highly agree it needs to be updated. But what i like about it is the small trains. It gives me a sense of vulnerability to my surroundings, and kind of adds to the thrill. I don't think it really needs a launch and a loop. As mentioned above, you can go to the studios for that. But they really should do something. And if they do end up doing something, make it spectacular! But please leave the projection of the giant chocolate chip cookie that's supposed to be a meteor.

Click the banner! ^^^^
                                Follow us on Twitter
                                @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                                Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

With all the updates coming around to the different parks Space Mountains it is very likely that MK's SM will get updated in the fashion of a combination of adding Paris's effects and track rework similar to what the Materhorn got last year. As a side note how long will it be until TDL gets the DL treatment considering that it is very simmilar to the DL mountain (and identical in former theme to DL).
                                  themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
                                  Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

Comment

I wouldn't count on anything happening to the MK's Space Mountain. WDW doesn't reinvest in its existing attractions. The ride opened in 1975 ... we're talking 30 years with NO changes, except the ride got much rougher, much lighter and much less a must see.

The ride should be completely gutted. They easily have enough room for two NEW tracks (I would make one close to what's there now, with the other having inversions and being more of a thrill ride, but have the two intertwined).

The sad fact is most WDW guests aren't savvy and they'll keep riding the old version even if they think it's not what it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974
                                      The ride should be completely gutted. They easily have enough room for two NEW tracks (I would make one close to what's there now, with the other having inversions and being more of a thrill ride, but have the two intertwined).
                                      the problem with having two tracks like that would be that no matter how much it is posted or how much it is said, people will still stop CMs to ask the big question when there are two lines "what's the difference?" and that will most likely happen in the queue, stopping the line. for a second, yes, but, as you learn with things like fastpass, those seconds add up. but that still isn't much. the other problem is the height requirements. both tracks would have different ones and that would also have to be told to guests, resulting in the first problem. and finally, one line would probably become longer than the other, depending on makeup of guests that day.

I do agree with you though, that its a good idea to have a "tame" track and a "thrilling" track, i just think that problems will exist (but, of course, Disney can probably work through those, making this entire post a waste of my time to write and your time to read )
                                      ------

------

Comment

Originally posted by alex-jmp
                                        With all the updates coming around to the different parks Space Mountains it is very likely that MK's SM will get updated in the fashion of a combination of adding Paris's effects and track rework similar to what the Materhorn got last year. As a side note how long will it be until TDL gets the DL treatment considering that it is very simmilar to the DL mountain (and identical in former theme to DL).
                                        that's probably the best and most logical thing

I'm not sure that WDW's track is in as bad a condition as DL's was when they had to rebuild their's (though WDW's is older :confused: )

new effects would be great and so would sealing up the many many light leaks (isn't floridas the worst with those) maybe a totaly redesigned load area

as far as Space Mountain similarities go it's true that WDW and Paris have the most unique ones but I think there will be SOME differencess between DL's and Hong Kongs, I'm not sure what they'll be but I get the feeling that their will be

Tokyo's is what Disneylands used to be I believe
                                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X