What's More Important - Quality or Quantity.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

What's More Important - Quality or Quantity.

What kind of Disney Vacation is most important to you?

The one where you visit a park, and in any given day, you ride as many rides as you can. You leave for the park at the crack of dawn and you stay until it closes.

Or.

You might take advantage of an early morning at a park, but you stop to see characters, have a meal that you reserved through priority seating, and do some spontaneous activity such as pin trading, or picture taking.

In otherwords: Is the quality of your vacation more important than the quantity of the attractions that you experience?
    BarbaraAnn

• lazyboy97O
    враг народа
    • Mar 2005

Re: What's More Important - Quality or Quantity.

Quality. I do the rides at Six Flags.

Comment

• TheGreatEscapist
      In Mouse We trust
      • Jul 2006

I prefer both that is why, whenever possible, it is best to take long vacations so you can see almost everything during that time while allowing yourself the time to enjoy it.

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
        Disney Memory Maker
        • Jan 2005

Both. Why not have a quality & quantity vacation?
        Walt Disney

Comment

• Barbaraann
          Chicago Gal
          • Apr 2005

There are many times, that I read about people going to WDW, and they are planning their vacations. They make comments about wanting to do everything. Asking questions about riding all the rides in a day. Asking questions about fastpasses, and getting to the park early in order to cut down line times. They don't mention, stopping to experience the magic. They are concerned with the quantity, and not the quality of their vacation. I find this sad.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

• A Disney Dreamer
            Banned User
            • Mar 2006

Quality all the way - and Disneyland has that, unlike WDW which seems to focus more on the quantity of the attractions than the quality of them.

However, there are still some pretty good rides - up to par with DL - at WDW.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
              We all need a Jiminy.
              • Apr 2005

I understand where Barbaraann is going with this. Too often families run from one ride to another, stopping only when out of breath. I think what she is saying that slowing down to catch the magic is quality in the experience. So if you miss a ride or two, enjoying the experience is the key. I agree with her. Although it is tough to do. I know I love to see it all. I understand why people say they "want to do everything." Of course, that is impossible for most at WDW because it is such a big place with so much to experience. Since the average family stays four days, I doubt they see everything.

Comment

• krystledm
                MiceChatter
                • Mar 2006

problem in this is that some familys only get to the parks once a year or maybe less (we go twice if were lucky) and the running and panicing and just plain silliness is part of the magic to us, puts us in this "disney high" like drugs only comply legal. i would love to go for the quality of the trip, but we go for quantity cause as much disney in 1 1/2's as you can is hard to do, but we do it everytime

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
                  Disney Memory Maker
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Barbaraann
                  They are concerned with the quantity, and not the quality of their vacation. I find this sad.
                  But the thing is, quality is in the eye of the beholder. While I may find absorbing the details & theming of a queue as true quality time in WDW, others may simply find it boring. While some love to see how many attractions they can go on, others find that too fast-paced.
                  But I'm still in the camp that Quality & Quantity can co-exist perfectly.
                  Walt Disney

Comment

• simla999
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
                    But I'm still in the camp that Quality & Quantity can co-exist perfectly.
                    It can, just not in WDW.

Comment

• Radiobarry
                      Angel Fan MC Man
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                      Too often families run from one ride to another, stopping only when out of breath. I think what she is saying that slowing down to catch the magic is quality in the experience. So if you miss a ride or two, enjoying the experience is the key. I agree with her. Although it is tough to do. I know I love to see it all. I understand why people say they "want to do everything."
                      So many times, especially on hot, crowded days, I see people kind of trudging through the parks, looking like they just have to get to that next thing "or else"...and it just looks like they are so intent on "seeing everything" that they're just not having much fun - and these are quite often the people that become more frustrated or grouchy as the day goes on.

Maybe these people are enjoying themselves...who am I to judge.

Sometimes you'd just like to tell em to slow down...and just enjoy the day more.

To each, their own...but to me, sometimes "less is more"...

--Barry
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• Spidergrrrl
                        is on the rocks
                        • Jul 2006

When I went w/ friends in '02, we tried to keep it a happy medium - we hit the parks early and stayed till closing, but played it by ear. When we got tired, we stopped to rest in a shady spot, eat or watch a show that we maybe hadn't "planned" for at that point.

We also knew it would be impossible to see everything, so we tried to make a wish list of "must see," "would like to see," and "if there's time we'll see it."
                        She did it!

Comment

• AlexLoup
                          A Big Mess
                          • May 2006

When i went at the begining of this month I had at least three attractions I had to go on. otherwise I took it very easy. I mostly wanted to see the fireworks and the parade cause I wanted to see them before the 50th was over.

So i do a bit of both.

Comment

• Pacha
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Radiobarry
                            So many times, especially on hot, crowded days, I see people kind of trudging through the parks, looking like they just have to get to that next thing "or else"...and it just looks like they are so intent on "seeing everything" that they're just not having much fun - and these are quite often the people that become more frustrated or grouchy as the day goes on.
                            I make that mistake on the first day of every trip to WDW! You're right; it isn't fun. However, I usually settle down by day 2 and really start to enjoy things.

So, to answer your question Barbaraann, I typically have a much better time focusing on quality rather than quantity. I've had the best success picking 3, maybe 4 "must see" attractions /rides per day, doing those and then using the rest of the time for meals, taking in sights, doing something spontaneous etc.

I think it varies from person to person. I'm a 42 year old with two young kids. The pace I keep, the quantity of attractions I can and can't do are likely to be very different from a 20 year old single person.
                            Last edited by Pacha; 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• DisneyDelli
                              • Feb 2006

I think it really depends on your situation. If you asked me two years ago I would have said quantity. I was a "commando" hitting all the rides I could as quick as I could. Now that I'm married and have someone to enjoy the parks with its not so much the park as it is the time with her at the parks. We are going for a week on Saturday, we have booked more meals than anything else because we wanted to enjoy ourselves. If we want to hit the park that day great, or we could lounge at the pool, or sleep late in each others arms. I think Quality far outweighs quantity now. The rides are still great, but the memories you create by being with someone else on the rides or at the parks is something that you cherish.

Comment

• Barbaraann
                                Chicago Gal
                                • Apr 2005

I think you've got it. Walt Disney World is such a huge place. I really think that it is unrealistic to be able to do and see it all on any one trip.

Now I understand the family that may only get to go on one Walt Disney World Vacation in their lifetime. The don't want to miss things. They want to get the most for their money.

I admit that on my very first WDW vacation, with my husband and my 4 year old grandson, I had a plan that I thought would work. I soon found out early on in the trip that it was best to scrap the plan, and go with the flow. We had a great time. We didn't hurry, and we had plenty of magic.

I am a compulsive planner. I plan the big things. Like which days to do which parks. Should I park hop? DO I want to see the fireworks? What restaurants do I want to try? What recreation would be fun?

However, I don't plan the moments. The moments of magic keep happening from the time you check in, until the time you check out, if you just slow down and look.

Disneyland and Disney World are very different. However, I have the same philosophy when visiting Disneyland.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Stitchy
                                  Disappearing/Reappearing
                                  • Jun 2006

Quantity....we gave up staying at a Disney resort for staying at a condo and going more days to the park. Spending more days at the parks were more important to us than staying at a Disney hotel. We're saving SO much more money and getting to do SO much more than we would have sticking to our original plans. We run around like chickens with our heads cut off....running from ride to ride, attraction to attraction...only stopping to eat and pee. We LOVE it that way. This trip will be a little more laid back, as we have 3 whole days for the Magic Kingdom...the most time spent before was 2 1/2. So, we'll be dividing up which rides to ride with the grandparents, which to ride without the kiddo, and which to ride without the grandparents. It'll be great!!! We take time for all the parades, character greets and fireworks (LOVE Wishes!!!)..and this time, a friend will be joining us who has never been there before, so, we'll be experiencing it for the first time through her eyes. God willing, this will be one vacation noone will ever forget!!!

Comment

• danyoung
                                    Super Old Guy
                                    • Jan 2005

I think there's a large middle ground between quality and quantity, and each visitor has their own balance of both. I want a quality vacation, but for the most part it's not really restful. I'm up early to get to the parks at opening, during which time I'm hitting as many attractions as I can. After an afternoon nap I tend to slow down a bunch, cuz I'm not getting in any 90 minute queues. I try to have a nice dinner, see a fireworks show, and generally enjoy the evening. So I have my quantity early on, and then enjoy the quality of a slower pace for the rest of the day. Works for me!

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
                                      Disney Memory Maker
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by simla999
                                      It can, just not in WDW.
                                      No, it can very easily co-exist at WDW.
                                      Walt Disney

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                                        Iron-Clad Allie
                                        • Feb 2005

Even though my November visit to Disneyland will be my first in around three years, I'd have to say that I prefer a quality experience more so than being an attraction commando. A trip just isn't as exciting without taking the time to coordinate priority dining (seating) at nice restaurants, attend cgaracter meet and greats / story times, shopping for cool souvineers and clothing, as well as taking plenty of pictures.

Don't get me weong. i do want to see as many attractions as possibe. Just do not want to forego everything else in order to do this. Since I'm on the subject, the new attractions, holiday attractions are going to be priority one...over the others. I'm looking forward to Space Mountain 2, Buzzs Lightyear, the renovated Pirates, the new Splash Mountain Logs, the plused Jungle Cruise, the restored Tike Room, Monsters, Inc. Tower of Teeror, A Bugs Land, Aladin, and Block Party Bash.

Of course, the holidasy things will be an aded bunus. Can't wait to see and experience the general Christmas decor, the Christmas parade and "snow", It's A Small World Holiday...and, the not to be missed Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Checking out progress on the Nemo Subs out to be a thrill as well. Perhaps I'll attend the opening of that and Rockin' Space Mountain on another trip.
                                        To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X