Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WDW Splash/America Sings

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WDW Splash/America Sings

    I had one of those :confused: "DUH..." moments this afternoon as I was reading the boards. I was reading the thread about the differences between Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom, and some of the posters were talking about WDW's Splash Mountain. Then all of a sudden, I was, like, wait a minute...

    So here's my question: Since WDW never had an America Sings attraction, what characters populate Splash Mountain in Florida? Did they remanufacture the 15 (or so) year old original animatronics from America Sings? Did they come up with completely new characters? What's the deal?
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

    Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

  • #2
    Yes, they've recreated the characters for the other Splashes.

    I don't know if the robotics inside are the exact same, although I doubt it. The original America Sings AAs designed by Marc Davis were quite ahead of their time by what I've heard (one even appeared to be walking upstairs,) the new AAs are probably designed just to do whatever it is they do in the mountain.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure about this but I think WDW's and TDL's Slash Mountains contain similar AAs plus many more not found in the DL version.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TDLFAN
        Not sure about this but I think WDW's and TDL's Slash Mountains contain similar AAs plus many more not found in the DL version.
        I haven't seen more that arn't found in the Disneyland version but there might be (I'd have to review my ride videos)

        I've got a pretty good idea that Tokyo's and WDW's were manufactured specialy for what they do and arn't reused, their form seems a bit heavier then Disneylands versions and the movements are a bit different

        while Tokyo's and WDW's are a bit longer then Disneylands I've noticed that with the exception of a few scenes being longer overall no version is really missing anything in praticular (WDW/Tokyo have a scene at the rabbits house with them watching a projection of the Brer's up in the hills while at Disneyland they have an extra song that sings "don't you go to the laughing place" with the mom rabbit and a mom possum warning their children that I haven't seen in the other versions)
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Ok, todays stupid question. (brought to you in part by "lack-o-sleep". Keeping you awake when you really should be in bed)


          What is "America Sings"?

          Comment


          • #6
            America Sings was an attraction much like Country Bear Jamboree or Carousel of Progress. It was housed in the carousel theater after Carousel of Progress was taken out. It was basically the same as country bear jamboree, they were singing animal audio animatronics.
            "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
            __________________________________________________________

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TDLFAN
              Not sure about this but I think WDW's and TDL's Slash Mountains contain similar AAs plus many more not found in the DL version.
              There were a few AA figures that were created for Tokyo and WDW (Br'er Road Runner and the hopping Br'er Rabbit come to mind) but most AA figures were created from the the original America Sings/DL Splash sculpts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Most of the America Sings characters made it into Disneyland's Splash Mountain... minus the Old Grey Mare, Sam the Eagle, and Mr. Owl.

                From what I have heard, our weasles (in the final laughing place scene) are actually the originals from Disneyland. Are there jumping weasels in Disneyland's Splash Mountain?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jspider
                  I haven't seen more that arn't found in the Disneyland version but there might be (I'd have to review my ride videos)
                  Cant someone confirm this, instead of posting what they THINK the facts may be. By the way, Jspider is one of my favorite posters, he makes me laugh. I think he thinks Disney should run all their plans past him first and get his ok. LOL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DL_CRAZE
                    America Sings was an attraction much like Country Bear Jamboree or Carousel of Progress. It was housed in the carousel theater after Carousel of Progress was taken out. It was basically the same as country bear jamboree, they were singing animal audio animatronics.
                    Not to be picky or rude, but to say that America Sings was basically the same as Country Bear Jamboree is a little off. Yes, they were both AA shows, but the shows were completely different.

                    America Sings was a show that replaced Carousel Of Progress in Disneyland's Tomorrowland around 1974 (or so). It was sort of a tie-in with America's Bicentennial Celebration in 1976, although I don't think this was ever really "official". Still, it had patriotic splashed all over it (pun intended!). America Sings was a journey through American music history with scenes featuring the South, the wild West, the turn of the 20th century, and "Modern Times" which basically covered the 40's, 50's and a little of the 60's. The host of the show was Sam the Eagle (voiced by Burl Ives), a nod to our national bird.

                    America Sings is one of the best loved and most missed attractions in Disneyland history. The attraction designs were made by Marc Davis whose work is prominent all over Disneyland. I love the Country bear shows without doubt, but America Sings was an attraction that was unique to Disneyland --- something rare in today's cloned Disney world. Maybe someday we'll be blessed with a new attraction, "America Sings Again!"
                    "George Bush... is only for now."
                    Avenue Q

                    Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I dont' know how I grew up in the 80s and 90s without seeing this turkey; maybe since my dad hates parades and musicals he cleverly avoided it when we went as a family?

                      Sounds cute though, a lot more interesting than INNOVENTIONS i suppose.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
                        I dont' know how I grew up in the 80s and 90s without seeing this turkey; maybe since my dad hates parades and musicals he cleverly avoided it when we went as a family?

                        Sounds cute though, a lot more interesting than INNOVENTIONS i suppose.
                        America Sings closed in (I think) 1986. I'm not sure why you would label it a "turkey" if you never saw it. Of course, there was a singing turkey in the show... maybe that's what you're talking about .

                        But you're right in saying that it was a lot more interesting than Innoventions.
                        "George Bush... is only for now."
                        Avenue Q

                        Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MickeyJCA
                          America Sings closed in (I think) 1986. I'm not sure why you would label it a "turkey" if you never saw it. Of course, there was a singing turkey in the show... maybe that's what you're talking about .

                          But you're right in saying that it was a lot more interesting than Innoventions.
                          I was trying to be funny not derogatory, I know it had the geese from Splash Mtn. And I was 10 when it closed so that's why I cant remember it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It closed in 1988 one year before splash mountain opened.
                            "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                            __________________________________________________________

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              wasn't one of the animatronics even more complex than the AA in American Adventure that can walk up stairs.... I think it was a bird....

                              Anyway i would ahve figured that the characters are the same in idea.. mabey machanics changed for more reliabliity.... (but even after so many performances it cuts out.. like the jumping bre Rabit...

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
                                I was trying to be funny not derogatory, I know it had the geese from Splash Mtn. And I was 10 when it closed so that's why I cant remember it.
                                No problem . I thought it was funny.

                                I don't remember any "walking" animatronics in America Sings. Many of them were on moving bases so they could move in and out of scenes, but I don't think there was any walking (like American Adventure) going on.

                                Here's a link to the Yesterland page on America Sings:
                                http://www.yesterland.com/amersings.html
                                "George Bush... is only for now."
                                Avenue Q

                                Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
                                  Cant someone confirm this, instead of posting what they THINK the facts may be. By the way, Jspider is one of my favorite posters, he makes me laugh. I think he thinks Disney should run all their plans past him first and get his ok. LOL.
                                  hey thanks

                                  I reviewed my videos again

                                  mostly what I see is the difference in enviornment when you enter (WDW's Tokyo's is brighter DL's is a bit darker andt he pumpkins make me think of fall?)

                                  anywho all in all they are more spread out in WDW for better storytelling so I'm seeing alot of longer scenes (the opening especialy in DL just seems to run past you)

                                  all the characters are the same for the most part but there are a few special placements (yes the running brer is unique)

                                  I see a frog on the first lift (as opposed to a rather simple owl on the second) and I think there might be a few other characters in different spots, WDW/Tokyo deffinatly have more variations of the laughing place song

                                  still I love the "don't you go to the laughing place" segment even if it doesn't add too much to the ride's story it does help build you up for the drop and bring you into that since of danger

                                  all in all I love em all I'll ride em all dispite the fact that I can't stand taking da fall (I'm horridly scared of heights)

                                  but everytime I see that Tokyo owl in the que I wand that owl and I wanna know what the heck it's saying it looks like such an excellent themeing element

                                  and is it just me or does Disneyland's Splash attempt to hide the singing animals until after the first drop :confused: seems almost like a pacing thing to me (WDW's obviously instantly drops you into the land of talking critters)
                                  "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by General Grizz
                                    Are there jumping weasels in Disneyland's Splash Mountain?
                                    Yes, they are.

                                    The DL Splash weasels are actually the AS originals. The WDW Splash weasels are new sculpts.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      They built imatations of SOME of the America Sings charecters for florida and japan. They made a few imitation Geese, an imitation saddle sore swanson, the porcupine and racoon, the 3 gators, the weasels, and the roosters and hens on the riverboat at the end. They built some new AA charecters too like some little kid rabbits and a roadrunner. However, keep in mind Florida/Japans version of Splash Mountain only has about 60 AA charecters while californias has over 100.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
                                        They built imatations of SOME of the America Sings charecters for florida and japan. They made a few imitation Geese, an imitation saddle sore swanson, the porcupine and racoon, the 3 gators, the weasels, and the roosters and hens on the riverboat at the end. They built some new AA charecters too like some little kid rabbits and a roadrunner. However, keep in mind Florida/Japans version of Splash Mountain only has about 60 AA charecters while californias has over 100.
                                        well the geese look a bit better for a few scenes in Spalsh mountain in WDW but that could be just because they ONLY used the most movable models (I think there are a few geese that don't move as much in DL's because I see some moving tons like WDW's and a few that seem to only pivot but then again everything shoots by so fast how can I be sure?)

                                        I like how the boat rocks back and forth in WDW's Splash ending it gives it more life then DIsneylands (from what I've seen video wise)

                                        I however like the Brer Fox getting attacked by the alagator better in DL's then WDW's (in DL's he looks like he's leaning over more and him pulling up on a branch is more convincing, in WDW he looks like he's standing up too upright I don't like that animation)
                                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X