This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studios DVD now on sale at WDW

The last of the new park dvd programs have been released and is now on sale at WDW. It is the Studios dvd simply titled "Disney Studios" (no refernce to MGM at all anywhere) and retails for $19.95 plus tax.

The main program is just about 26 mins long, and features the streetmosphere performers taking us along on a tour of some of the most popular attractions at the studio. I say some because, not all are featured, like the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, yet we get a look inside the "Honey I shrunk the kids" playground.. Go figure.

The show is an improvement over the dreaded last EPCOT dvd, since the streetmosphere characters are a bit more engaging than those other made up characters they have featured in the EPCOT and DAK dvd programs. Still, these characters are given a bit too much air time, cheating us from more studio related footage.

I guess what I liked the most is that there is minimal promotional footage here which made this program look a bit less "ad-like" as opposed to the other parks' dvds. However, promotional footage is used for the Rock & Roller Coaster and TOT segments, but at least some new footage was added. In the TOT segment..that one particular TOT creepy looking CM who we have come to know on prior promotional efforts, reprises his creepy valet part here.

In the 25 mins.. we visit the Art of Animation, TOT, Beauty/Beast show, Tram tour, Star Tours, and few other sights, all culminating with a couple of minutes dedicated to Fantasmic, where again and mercifully, very little prior promo was used and does feature scenes from MGM's version (I mean, they could have gone cheap and recycle old DL Fantasmic footage but that is not the case here

All in all, it's a better video tour of Disney Studios and enjoyable enough. There are two different ways to enjoy this program...You can add the trivia track to see pop-up boxes with trivia bits as the show plays along. Or, you can also see the show with a Disney detail option that highlights hidden Mickeys and fun facts from the studio.

Among the special features are bonus footage from the "Lessons in Animation" part of the animation tour. You can also see the "How to draw Mickey" 5 min program, and access selected bits from the old favorite "Walt Disney Story" film that used to play at the MK all those years ago, which here is presented as historical bits from Walt's days, bits that touch on his studio-related aspects of the business. One such bit appears to be from the old "Wonderful World of Color" in which Walts talks about the different cameras they used in the old days in Hollywood.

All in all, now that all 4 WDW park dvds are out and available for sale, I would definitely say that...if you had to buy some of them, I would recommend the MK and Studio ones since they seem to deliver more from their respective parks than the DAK and EPCOT dvds.
    Enjoy.

I think I'll wait until they show up at Property Control for $2.99 a pop. But thanks for the review.

Comment

Thanks! How does one order merch. direct from WDW? Would anyone kindly share that #? Thanks!

Comment

407 WDI-SNEY. Not a free call.

Comment

Thanks a bunch!!

Comment

Lessons of Animation? That's doesn't include the "Back to Neverland" film, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974
              I think I'll wait until they show up at Property Control for $2.99 a pop. But thanks for the review.
              :botox: Umm...what's Property Control?

Comment

Does this mean they'll package all four of these DVD's into a box set. It wouldn't surprise me...
                M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                sigpic
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by dcaffey
                  :botox: Umm...what's Property Control?
                  Property Control is when they offered park merchandise at a small price to CMs and their family members for a very low price in order to liquidate inventory that needs to be moved off the stores on property....as far as I know. Look for the tent in the MK CM parking lot on Reams Rd.

Comment

Just become pals with a WDW CM and you can learn all about the wonders of Property Control ... now, I just need to find a place to hang my Disney Institute artwork!

It's the only way to shop at WDW.

Comment

I shall keep in you in mind WDW1974 and I *MUST HAVE* the TDL Happeiest celebration banners that now hang at EPCOT's Japan...

Comment

^^^Those banners likely will wind up on ebay first ... although you never know, they could very well land at Prop Control.

The best thing is that those special items are generally priced incredibly low, yet most CMs at PC wind up buying tees for $4 and pins for half price etc ... the Disney Institute art I bought had been there for quite a while and there was quite a bit of it. The glass frames alone were worth hundreds of dollars, even if I had opted to buy new art to replace the Disney stuff (which I didn't because I do like it). It was all available for between $20-60 each. Amazing.

Comment

Hey hey hey......wait......I thought there were only Happiest Celebration banners in France (DLRP), China (HKDLR) and the USA (DLR and WDWR) - I thought Japan was missed out because the OLC own Tokyo Disney Resort......have they added Japan banners recently?
                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway
                            Hey hey hey......wait......I thought there were only Happiest Celebration banners in France (DLRP), China (HKDLR) and the USA (DLR and WDWR) - I thought Japan was missed out because the OLC own Tokyo Disney Resort......have they added Japan banners recently?
                            Yes they have, and they are gorgeous. I want one for my personal collection.
                            Check it out:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...348&p=71469963

Comment

The Tokyo banners are quite nice ... actually, all the others are too!

Too bad the quality of food at Yakitori House has gone the WalMart way ... mystery chicken pieces ... YUCK!

Comment

Oooh! Well nice. Do you have pics of the France and China flags? And are there seperate flags for DLR and WDWR at the USA pavilion?
                                BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                                October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                                October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                                July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                                July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                                February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                                February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                                TRIP REPORTS

Comment

The American Adventure features the only banners I have seen promoting DL's 50th. They are very nice.
                                  No banners anywhere for WDW perse, but banners for all 'the new magic' coming to WDW like Cinderellabration, Motors, Action Stunt Show, Soarin, Everest etc ...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X