This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancing WDW?

seems to me that with the parks getting maxed out how they are maybe WDW should look at instituting some programs similar to what Disneyland has done (technicaly all the layovers and land remakes started in Disneyland but it makes since because the park is the oldest and the most likly to become obsolete)

aka creating layovers and looking at redesigning lands that have become old and quaint (however not dropping any themes)

with all that I'm hearing I think they might look at doing a redesign of the haunted mansion perhaps?

what ideas do you guys have?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

The only thing that will enhance WDW as of now is to get a new management team who cares in place at the helm. The place is too big to maintain and has become cost deficient, meaning, it takes more dough to keep a minimum of quality required to make it "decent". The collapse of WDW's quality has been caused from within. The place is simply to big for it's own good and therefore, quality has suffered greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
      The only thing that will enhance WDW as of now is to get a new management team who cares in place at the helm. The place is too big to maintain and has become cost deficient, meaning, it takes more dough to keep a minimum of quality required to make it "decent". The collapse of WDW's quality has been caused from within. The place is simply to big for it's own good and therefore, quality has suffered greatly.
      yeah I'm becoming quite aware of that

but I also know that building more isn't going to help the problem

that's why a redevelopment project along with a enhanced refurb project is probably Disney's best bet for fixing WDW

if they can add to new rides and keep them up for lower costs then building new things they can market these upgrades to tourists to keep the money flowing

since as a theme park WDW HAS to continuously add new things in order to keep things going

so it really needs holiday layovers and effects upgrades

it can simply take things other parks have done and to a nice through redo on a ride or two and advertise it as new

Comment

WDW management needs a major enema to clean out all the %[email protected]# that has been messing up the resort for the better part of the last decade. Until that happens, until some leadership comes aboard that understands the Disney ideals for quality, safety, show and guest service, WDW will continue to be dumbed down to a WalMart quality product. Al Weiss and most of his 'leadership' team need to go.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974
          WDW management needs a major enema to clean out all the %[email protected]# that has been messing up the resort for the better part of the last decade. Until that happens, until some leadership comes aboard that understands the Disney ideals for quality, safety, show and guest service, WDW will continue to be dumbed down to a WalMart quality product. Al Weiss and most of his 'leadership' team need to go.
          so are you saying that the leadership is so bad that they'd botch up any expansion effort?

I don't know it just seems that if WDW keeps adding new attractions without concern for the old they're going to start crushing things under their own bloated weight to me

it'd seem to make more since to rejuvinate certain attractions along with a beautification project so that you could have something marketable AND repair the parks without adding to the excess

Comment

^^^Yes. I'm saying take a look at WDW circa 1995 vs. WDW 2005 and ask yourself if there has been a net gain in quality, NOT quantity. I know what the answer is for me and anyone who visited the resort since the 1970s. WDW needs a massive infusion of creative manager types instead of money men, like Epcot VP Brad Rex, who have a clue what it takes to make magic as well as millions.

Comment

Thank you for mentioning Brad Rex! I have been waiting ever so patiently for somebody to bring him up and to acknowledge what he has done for the image of EPCOT, and bringing it out of decades of no improvements or updating, and bringing it into what is hopefully going to become a classic Disney park, and not be stuck in the late 70s and early 80s.

Comment

^^^Yes. I'm saying take a look at WDW circa 1995 vs. WDW 2005 and ask yourself if there has been a net gain in quality, NOT quantity. I know what the answer is for me and anyone who visited the resort since the 1970s. WDW needs a massive infusion of creative manager types instead of money men, like Epcot VP Brad Rex, who have a clue what it takes to make magic as well as millions.
                Exactly what has this Rex guy done for EPCOT Center that is so magical? If he wants to earn some respect from me, he should take that darn wand off Spaceship Earth and return the "center" to the park's name. Plus maybe come upo with some everchanging events instead of the same old tired Flower and Wine festivals year after year.

Comment

While Brad might not be a Matt O. He seems to be the best that Disney World has to offer. He has added funding to Mission: SPACE, brought us Soarin' and updates to Energy, Living Seas, and has improved Kidcot locations all over the park. Getting a man to do JUST one thing is not what makes a man great, it is the sum of his actions that a real man can be judged by. Brad has revitalized EPCOT from being a boring park to a park that the whole family can now enjoy. I think that Brad has some great things in store for EPCOT... I hope that he gets the time, and money to go through with them.

Comment

I've been looking over things a bit more and I can see that WDW is getting a bit too character laden o_O I mean people are complaining at Disneyland but when I see WDW and I hear more of it's future plans I see bigger problems then that

I really wish they'd stop with the margional additions/characters and simply upgrade what they have

llike I've already said a couple times in this thread holiday overlays are a must (if simply because they force the park to actualy shutdown the rides and do a complete repair rather then this "rolling refurb" stuff)

Comment

Since when is Mission: SPACE a great thing for Epcot? That thing has heavilly under-preformed and as such it won't be cloned for the other parks.

Epcot screwed up royally for the 100 YoM Celebration with the "Tapestry of Dreams" makeover to the wonderful "Tapestry of Nations" parade. It should have been called "Tapestry of kids screaming and ruining the music."

The Land's most recent make-over is nothing wonderful... the old and the new clash too much. Soarin' was a good addition, but a new film should have been part of it.

Wonders of Life is only open seasonally, and Future World still closes at 7pm.

Universe of Energy has door-walls that don't work now, and the films need to be replaced (with new films of the same movie... it used to be every year... now its... well, it's been a while. And there are plans to gut Universe of Energy in the works.

Test Track is a fun ride, I love it... but it can't compare with World of Motion, or Horizons. They were classics... but we have to move on I suppose.

Journey Into YOUR Imagination has been the biggest flop of all time (save for Stitch's Great Escape) and Journey Into Imagination with Figment has never had the same quality as the original Journey Into Imagination before the institute theme took over 100%.

The Living Seas looks horrible right now, with the sea cabs closed... though I think the Nemo additions are a good thing... but the whole thing needs a re-theme. Nemo doesn't fit in an underwater seabase. By all means, a new theme is needed...

Innoventions needs a lot more, and the Pizza Pasta on the west side needs to be re-opened. Ice Station Cool no longer has snow, and drink stations don't work half the time.

And then Spaceship Earth... it needs a good oiling. The "Time Machine Vehicles" are louder than heck.

As far as the entrance goes, you have tombstones with people's pictures on the front... and back. Ugly as heck. The wand should have been removed a long time ago... I don't need a sign to tell me that I'm in Epcot... imagine a wand at all the parks displaying the name... it just doesn't look right.

I could go on and on about the problems in Epcot.

From my point of view, Brad should be fired and shot, not necessarly in that order.
                      (well, not really shot, I'd never shoot anyone, but come on, you don't see the problems?)

Is it that sad that TDLfan and I are the only ones who see that Epcot ISN'T doing well at all?!

Comment

Originally posted by ka119
                        Thank you for mentioning Brad Rex! I have been waiting ever so patiently for somebody to bring him up and to acknowledge what he has done for the image of EPCOT, and bringing it out of decades of no improvements or updating, and bringing it into what is hopefully going to become a classic Disney park, and not be stuck in the late 70s and early 80s.
                        You have got to be kidding me ... or are you a member of the man's family?

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                          Exactly what has this Rex guy done for EPCOT Center that is so magical? If he wants to earn some respect from me, he should take that darn wand off Spaceship Earth and return the "center" to the park's name. Plus maybe come upo with some everchanging events instead of the same old tired Flower and Wine festivals year after year.
                          First, my friend, you shouldn't refer to Epcot as EPCOT Center because: 1.) Disney doesn't want you to; and 2.) It hasn't been that spectacular place for over a decade now.

As to what he has done, hmmm ... lemme think ... OK, he has presided over the opening of a major attraction (that was approved and designed well before he took over from Karl Holtz) that hasn't been a (pardon the pun) stellar success. He has presided over the opening of two horrific versions of the Imagination ride. He has been there as upkeep has fallen (though not nearly as bad as Disney-MGM, by far the worst, and MK). He has been the only VP in the park's history to manage it through years without any real extended hours in summer and holiday times. He has been there, as you stated, as once great events like Food and Wine and Flower and Garden became boring, bloated and excuses to hawk merchandise and pins. He has been there at the helm as major sponsors Met Life, ExxonMobil and AT&T withedrew from their partnerships with Disney. He has been at the helm as once amazing attractions like The Living Seas became boarded up, decaying remnants. Would you like any more things? You would?

OK. He has presided over the park as more of its unique merchandise locations were replaced by character corners of crap. He has led Epcot as other locations were replaced with tables so kids could color. Yes, that's what a $10,000 magical WDW vacation should be about.

Oh, and he also was the big boss when Yakitori House (a personal fave of mine since 1982) was allowed to change from using chicken breast meat to using 'assorted, god-knows-where-they-came-from' parts, while the prices skyrocketed.

And most of all, he has been the head honcho as a once dynamic, amazing, huge park has begun to feel smaller and empty in parts that once pulsed with life.

Comment

Originally posted by ka119
                            While Brad might not be a Matt O. He seems to be the best that Disney World has to offer. He has added funding to Mission: SPACE, brought us Soarin' and updates to Energy, Living Seas, and has improved Kidcot locations all over the park. Getting a man to do JUST one thing is not what makes a man great, it is the sum of his actions that a real man can be judged by. Brad has revitalized EPCOT from being a boring park to a park that the whole family can now enjoy. I think that Brad has some great things in store for EPCOT... I hope that he gets the time, and money to go through with them.
                            You can give him some credit for Soarin, but that decision was made by Burbank ultimately. You could also criticize the man because he didn't fight for a unique film with the technology and settled for a half-assed redo of the pavillion.

Energy hasn't been redone since the mid-90s when he was still an accountaneer for Disney. Living Seas was allowed to fall apart on his watch and, only small portions have been revitalized.

I too judge a man by the sum of his actions and, frankly, like most WDW execs nowadays, he doesn't appear to really get how special his job is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                              llike I've already said a couple times in this thread holiday overlays are a must (if simply because they force the park to actualy shutdown the rides and do a complete repair rather then this "rolling refurb" stuff)
                              A great idea, but one that WDW management has no interest in. That's why TDL got the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay last year and the MK didn't.

They simply don't believe those things are needed in Orlando as they appeal more to local parkgoers than to folks having a magical gathering from Iowa, New Jersey or London.

They also cost money as opposed to holiday events like the Halloween and Christmas parties in the MK, the Candlelight Dinner packages in Epcot and even the tacky Christmas lights from Arkansas at Disney-MGM Studios, which bring in oodles of profit for the Mouse.

Comment

Bill, you and TDLFAN are far from the only ones who see Epcot as in trouble.

Two other points I forgot to put in earlier posts (and BTW, I thought your post was completely on the money even if I do detest Test Track unlike yourself):

One of the stupidest decisions that has happened under Brad Rex at Epcot is that the Fountainview Coffee Bar, which used to be open from early morning until well past closing now closes in mid-afternoon. Incredibly bad show to see folks walk in and see stools on tables and empty food cases right in the heart of the park. Not to mention the money that Disney is losing out on because of the amazing stupidity of this decision.

On the point about holiday overlays on attractions, I also forgot to mention that WDW doesn't like (unlike DL) to close its major attractions. That's why they are never rehabbed anymore. They don't want guests hurling f-bombs at City Hall because they spent $10,000 on a magical Disney vacation only to find that Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain etc ... are closed. Absurd? Yes. But also very true.

Comment

I agree 100% with you...

And the only reason I love test track is becuase the guy's name is Bill in the ride, and the woman's name is Sherry. Bill is my name, Sherry is my mother's name. LOL

If it wasn't for that minor detail, I wouldn't think that Test Track is any great shakes.

And I really wish FountainView was open later... it's my fav. place to go for the Smoothies. And it is bad show to see the tables stacked like that. I never even thought of that before this.

Something else I'd like to comment on... Epcot has some serious issues when it rains in that park. something really needs to be done. It had only started raining, and we were dealing with 4 inch deep puddles in parts of the park. That's really a big problem right there.

Comment

Oh, and he also was the big boss when Yakitori House (a personal fave of mine since 1982) was allowed to change from using chicken breast meat to using 'assorted, god-knows-where-they-came-from' parts, while the prices skyrocketed.
                                    Yakitori House was in the worse condition I have ever seen it in this and last year. That entirely explains it.

For those of you that don't know...

They no longer take your trays when you're done, you do have to throw them out yourself. (though that is something minor, and probably should have been done a long time ago, but I thought it reflected the Japaneese Culture a lot more.)

The new chicken they have is horrible, and it's not on skwers. It's also a much smaller portion, and the sauce has been changed and it's quite horrible now.

They no longer have orange soda... a personal thing of mine that makes me very angry.

They have no clue how to run the registers and line queue to buy your meal. Basically, the normal Disney system is designed to have 2 line queues at each register, with the exit in the middle. That effectively makes the lines shorter and not jut out into the seating area. The cast members working there now have no clue how the lines are supposed to be done, and they obviously aren't being trained as well.

The waterfall garden with the bamboo pipeline no longer works.

Someone NEEDS to get down there and fix these problems. It's rather pathetic now. And the food quality has gone down sooo much that I don't want to eat there anymore. It used to be my fav. quick service in World Showcase. Now it's crap.

Comment

Thanks Bill for adding those details, which are all true. There's another one too. They changed the longtime ginger salad dressing to something similar but thicker and it has an awful aftertaste.

It's also always dirty there, which may be WDW, but isn't Japan.

Maybe someone should invite Norm Noble (head of Epcot food and beverage) over there for a meal. It went from being a great choice for a meal, to being a miserable one. I actually would have trudged over to Guest Relations to complain, but it was my last meal before I headed home and my car was at the Boardwalk ... just didn't feel like I'd get anywhere either except maybe a coupon for a free quick serve meal.

Comment

A great idea, but one that WDW management has no interest in. That's why TDL got the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay last year and the MK didn't.

They simply don't believe those things are needed in Orlando as they appeal more to local parkgoers than to folks having a magical gathering from Iowa, New Jersey or London.

They also cost money as opposed to holiday events like the Halloween and Christmas parties in the MK, the Candlelight Dinner packages in Epcot and even the tacky Christmas lights from Arkansas at Disney-MGM Studios, which bring in oodles of profit for the Mouse.
                                        yeah I know

I can still insist that it's a good idea for them (they can sell this as a more effective holiday program, this would basicaly mow over anything the competition could offer and if they really wanted I'm sure they could up the overlay effeciency quite a bit)

upgrading old things seems to be the only way to go at this point, if they add to many more super huge additions they'll have more then they can keep up

and stomaching small attractions seems like a good way to slowly tighten the noose around the resorts neck

at this point I think a more complete refurb program is necissary

sure there will be those who are upset that they closed "x" ride but lets face it they'll be having a real doomsday if they end up with a Disneyland type situation (aka a large popular attraction is closed because of an accident while several others are forced down) and it will be WORSE because everything that's open will look like k-rap

it's interesting all that you guys bring up about Epcot and I'm realizing that I really want to see it again :P I'm almost positive that my family's never been to the Sea pravilion and I'm sad to hear it's closed

it also strikes me that Epcot seems to have had several darkrides all that had a timetravel theme

maybe they should consolidate it into one with some of their best scenes from the other dead darkrides. they could do a study on the evolution of human culture and technology in general rather then concentraiting on a single facet and thus they could also avoid the situation of sounding like one big commercial (to advertise in a theme park it's best not to be obvious that your advertising or work it in with a cute and deserving tie in but don't slap people in the face with it)

I'd hate to see Energy or the Wonders of Life pravilions go down I remeber liking them as a kid (well at least I liked Body Wars and the dinosoar part of Energy *was that inspired by the display on Disneylands railroad? they look similar in spots*)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X