• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrimmGreen
    been away for a while
    • May 2006

am i going to be disappointed?

i keep reading about how the HauntedMansion is in need of a refurb along with Space mountain , and how numerous other things are in need of fixing and repair and painting around WDW. so am i going to be disappointed this october for my first ever trip to WDW?

My Maleficent tattoo

• Scorchio
    Coming soon...
    • Jun 2006

Re: am i going to be disappointed?

In my opinion it is only the HM that actually needs refurbishing. But there is so much more to do there, even if the two above need TLC. You'll enjoy yourself so much out there. Have a good holiday.

Comment

• kcnole
      • Mar 2006

it depends on what your expectations are? However The Magic Kingdom is still a great trip and my trip I just got back from seems a bit hollow since we didn't get over there. It's still a great fun place, but some of the classics need some work.

Comment

• Kaye
        up to no good
        • Jun 2006

Do you have park hopper tickets?
        Originally posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair)
        Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

Comment

• All Aglow
          <3
          • Jun 2005

I think that if you go and you are looking for those types of things, you're going to find them. If you get on the rides and just sit back and enjoy the rides, you'll never be disappointed. Just allow yourself to get lost in the magic, try not to compare everything to what you know and don't go looking for things that need to be fixed. Just look for the differences in the rides, do the things that you haven't seen before and enjoy the show.

If you go into it expecting lots of negative things, you are bound to find exactly that.

Comment

• Pacha
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by All Aglow View Post
            I think that if you go and you are looking for those types of things, you're going to find them. If you get on the rides and just sit back and enjoy the rides, you'll never be disappointed. Just allow yourself to get lost in the magic, try not to compare everything to what you know and don't go looking for things that need to be fixed. Just look for the differences in the rides, do the things that you haven't seen before and enjoy the show.

If you go into it expecting lots of negative things, you are bound to find exactly that.
            Well said! I wholeheartedly agree. :clap:

Comment

• GrimmGreen
              been away for a while
              • May 2006

Originally posted by I_luv_Disney View Post
              Do you have park hopper tickets?
              yeah , park hoppers for sure , i'm most looking forward to EPCOT , but the magic kingdom is the classic park , but i'm thinking now since i have never been , will i even notice what needs work and what does'nt?

im mostly looking forward to the CountryBears , and i really really want to ride SpaceMountain , i hear people saying i'ts really rough these days like worse than the matterhorn..

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

• kcnole
                • Mar 2006

I've never ridden the matterhorn, but from what I've heard it can't be worse.

The two things with the biggest problems are probably HM and Country Bears. Part of the audio hasn't worked on Country Bears in a while unless its been fixed recently and you'll probably notice how worn down the haunted mansion is. It's still a great ride, but it could be so much better with some work.

Comment

• Spidergrrrl
                  is on the rocks
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by GrimmGreen View Post
                  ... but i'm thinking now since i have never been, will i even notice what needs work and what does'nt?
                  Possibly. But then, if you are looking to see something wrong, you will find it. I totally second what All Aglow said.

There are a LOT of great things to do and see at WDW. You'll get to experience things only available there, like IllumiNations, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Mission: Space and the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (among other things).
                  Last edited by Spidergrrrl; 08-31-2006, 08:35 AM.
                  She did it!

Comment

• SummerInFL
                    Relax
                    • Sep 2005

People I speak with who have never been never notice the problems because the people who go all the time see the changes. However as has been mentioned, don't go in expecting to see issues or you will. Just enjoy the magic and have a wonderful trip.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                      We all need a Jiminy.
                      • Apr 2005

GrimmGreen, You may not see MK as spectacular as you might have found DL. I think that there is SO much at WDW to enjoy that this will be a minor point. My suggestion for enjoying MK to it fullest, is to enjoy the DIFFERENCES with DL.

The Castle,
                      Wonderful food, particularly Crystal Palace.
                      Hall of Presidents
                      Better Splash Mountain
                      Bear Country
                      Winnie the Pooh
                      Barber Shop (need a hair cut?)
                      Wishes fireworks
                      Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

I suggest that you spend only one day at MK. I enjoy Epcot, DMGMS, Animal Kingdom, and Downtown Disney.

Comment

• MickeyMania
                        Vehicle rotating backward
                        • Jan 2005

No, you won't be any more or less disappointed than you would have been any other time. I mean, the Haunted Mansion has been less spectacular than Disneyland's since the beginning. It more or less has the same scenes but a lot less atmosphere, which is why they had to cheap out and put giant day-glo spiders on the wall and stuff to represent missing atmosphere.

Space Mountain isn't really disappointing if you grew up with Disneyland, because it has a lot in common with the Matterhorn. Think of riding the Matterhorn at night with your eyes closed. Keep in mind that it IS rough, but so is the Matterhorn, and Space's lighting means things feel rougher than they would seem if the lights were on.

However, Splash Mountain is great. And there's stuff like RnRC which are far more intense than the thrills at DLR.

There are a number of people on this board who are WDW "veterans," or life-long Floridians, who whine about how WDW was vastly superior way back when at some point. While they have some okay advice for hotels and stuff due to their experience, when it comes to their opinions about how the old days were better, just nod your head and pay it no mind.

Comment

• NatdRat
                          Lonestar Louisianian
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
                          GrimmGreen, You may not see MK as spectacular as you might have found DL. I think that there is SO much at WDW to enjoy that this will be a minor point. My suggestion for enjoying MK to it fullest, is to enjoy the DIFFERENCES with DL.
                          JiminyCricketFan hit the nail on the head, in my opinion Grimm. I think that what you'll notice most is the differences between the MK and DL. At least that is what I see most DL veterans comment about when they visit WDW.

Disappointed? No way! As has been said here already, there is SOOO much more to do and see at WDW that you'd be hard pressed to walk away thinking "meh, what a bust!" I do not visit WDW often. I try to get there every 4 years or so, but when I do go, it is such an event that I tend to overlook a lot of things others here have pointed out. Do I notice some things that are (shall we say...) lacking? Of course. When you know how it used to look, it's hard not to notice, but that never, EVER, comes even remotely close to ruining my trip or having me leave disappointed. Minor disappointments are always quickly forgotten by major magic!

Have a BLAST on your trip! (I just know you will )

Comment

• kcnole
                            • Mar 2006

It more or less has the same scenes but a lot less atmosphere, which is why they had to cheap out and put giant day-glo spiders on the wall and stuff to represent missing atmosphere.
                            Personally I've always felt WDW's mansion was better aside from the stretching room not actually stretching due to the water tables. Aside from that the ride is longer with more scenes compared to Disneylands. It is in worse repair though since DL gets to do minor refurbing every year while being made over for the nightmare before Christmas overlay.

Comment

• SummerInFL
                              Relax
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                              There are a number of people on this board who are WDW "veterans," or life-long Floridians, who whine about how WDW was vastly superior way back when at some point. While they have some okay advice for hotels and stuff due to their experience, when it comes to their opinions about how the old days were better, just nod your head and pay it no mind.

*laughs* Oh where is TDLFan when you need him.

I am all of the above on that list but to be honest, WDW is the same for me today as it was when I was 6, the magic has never changed.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                                How do you do?
                                MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                • Jan 2005

I agree with Summer. I never read the Floridians' posts as whining, but that they see things that never would have been let get to the point they are at now. They love the MK no less. And I agree with what everyone says here: if you look for problems, you will find them. Peeling paint, burnt out bulbs, etc. Just go and enjoy, and don't look for the negatives. If you don't look, chances are you won't find them.
                                It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• danyoung
                                  Super Old Guy
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by GrimmGreen View Post
                                  ...and i really really want to ride SpaceMountain , i hear people saying i'ts really rough these days like worse than the matterhorn..
                                  It's in no way rougher than the Matterhorn, & I've ridden both many times.

I've told this story before. Years back, before the internet and when USENET was big, I was involved with a Disney chat feed that was filled with negativity about Disneyland. I was really dreading my next trip, cuz I was afraid that everything I'd loved about the park growing up was now hopelessly trashed. I finally got there, walked through the turnstiles and under the bridge . . . and the music was playing, the train announcement was announcing, the smell of popcorn and cotton candy was in the air, the castle was sparkling off in the distance - in short, it was the same Disneyland that I'd always known.

Yes, if you look for the trouble you can find it. And yes, the MK isn't kept up as well as it was in the past, and needs some fix up paint up. But it's still a very cool place, and I can't wait to get back in a month and enjoy it!

Comment

• GrimmGreen
                                    been away for a while
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                                    It's in no way rougher than the Matterhorn, & I've ridden both many times.

I've told this story before. Years back, before the internet and when USENET was big, I was involved with a Disney chat feed that was filled with negativity about Disneyland. I was really dreading my next trip, cuz I was afraid that everything I'd loved about the park growing up was now hopelessly trashed. I finally got there, walked through the turnstiles and under the bridge . . . and the music was playing, the train announcement was announcing, the smell of popcorn and cotton candy was in the air, the castle was sparkling off in the distance - in short, it was the same Disneyland that I'd always known.

Yes, if you look for the trouble you can find it. And yes, the MK isn't kept up as well as it was in the past, and needs some fix up paint up. But it's still a very cool place, and I can't wait to get back in a month and enjoy it!
                                    thank you that's awesome man , and yeah the matterhorn is really rough , but i think that is in big part to the fact that there is no real "banked turns" and i'm assuming space mountain has them. also no SpaceMountain soundtrack right?

i have heard elsewhere that the splashmountain is better in WDW , how? i love the DL one , and yes i'm really really looking forward to Mission Space and the RockinRollercoaster

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

• danyoung
                                      Super Old Guy
                                      • Jan 2005

Yeah, Space Mountain has much better banking. And there's no sound track, which is really kinda cool if you visit both coasts. Music in DL, no music in WDW. Makes a nice change.

I think overall the 2 Splash's are more or less the same. The WDW version has a bit of a better flow to it, but it's not really that big of a diff.

Comment

• Disneyland Daddy
                                        ...is fading out....
                                        • Jul 2006

[quote=danyoung;894214]
                                        Yes, if you look for the trouble you can find it. quote]

This is a fantastic thing you said. It's so true. If you look for the bad in things, you'll surely find it.

Let's all look for the positive!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X