This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 16th Disney/MGM!!!!

Today May 1st, is Disney-MGM Studios 16th Anniversary.

Happy Birthday!!!

Happy belated sweet sixteen to the Studios!
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a :monkey:?

Comment

Unfortunately, like many 16-year-olds, Disney-MGM Studios is going through an awkward, gangly, loud phase. It can't keep its room clean, has a bad case of acne and a worse eye for style (especially hats).

But I remember Opening Day like it was yesterday. One of the first few dozen guests in the park that day. Ah, the memories ... listening to Eisner's speech, watching Willard Scott give my brother a 'death stare', meeting Colonel Klink, being in the audience when they taped a special with Bob Hope, having Eisner comment on my Tokyo Disneyland t-shirt (brought back by an uncle), eating my first meal at the Soundstage Restaurant, thinking this place was so great and it would bring real TV/Movie production to Central Florida.

As tiny a park as it was at opening, wow, it felt like it contained unlimited possibilities.

Let's hope the teen grows into a solid adult ... at this point, it looks like he's heading for juvie.

Comment

Wow, cool memories. So you spoke to Eisner? He was well thought of in 1989. If only we knew, we could have kicked him out after Pocahontus......
        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

^^^Yes. It was actually the first of about 10 meetings I had with Eisner. I even had him autograph my Opening Day Entertainment Schedule. Wonder what that would bring on ebay ... But Opening Days are always special. I've been to them for EPCOT Center, the Studios and DCA. Missed DAK's by a week!

Comment

I agree. Opening days make for great memories. I was there on opneing day at EPCOT Center, Disney-MGM, Animal Kingdom, and could not attend DLP's opening day because the RER trains went on strike and no taxi would drive me to the resort from downtown Paris, as they were also in support of the RER workers. Very disappointing to be in Paris for DLP's opening day and not be able to attend. I am now keeping my fingers crossed for HKDL in sept...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X