This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick report from the MK today 9/8th/06

G-Fan and I ventured into the MK today on one of my long-delayed "Quality Control Walks" to check out the TDL-wannabe parade version of the old same shoe. Of course, we were stunned to find the MK so empty today... but then we realized it was due to the holly roller crowd taking over the MK tonight for Nights of Joy, which meant the MK was closing promptly at 6pm. No big deal..

Of course, both G-Fan and I agree the Snowglobes parade is much improved by TDL's current Parade of Dreams music. However, this parade is still a long way from being TDL-quality but hey...that's what tourists get for being just that. I was also happy to see the float that killed Pluto (the Princess float that looks like a Godzilla-size wedding cake) was back in action. But could someone please finally retire the old and tired Tencennial Parade castle float that appears in virtually every parade the MK does thru the year???

I was much surprised by the fact that much of the Castle's Happiest Celebration stolen from DL Park decor has already come down, with some minor details still up.. like the HUGE revolving castle window. See this photo taken with my cellphone:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/
    j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32295536&f=

Also, a portion of Peter Pan's building facing the Columbia Harbor House was also under tarps.. with painted building facade which make these renovation necesities look more presentable. Such is the case with TDL's castle which is also undergoing some renovations AGAIN, after the summer season. As for the MK's castle... I am glad it is getting it's former look back for a change and I hope this is the last time we see some silly overlay on it for many years to come. Of course.. with most of the "bling" gone..comes the harsh reality that lies beneath.. the castle is simply in major need of new paint job and color, but I am sure that will come later on... hopefully before december.

As for the rest of the MK.. G-Fan and I rode POTC again.. and found it a bit improved. For some reason, the audio soundtrack was much more audible to the naked ear as I could finally comprehend clearly the new dialogue coming from the classic character scenes. I even found the last Depp AA in the jail scene to be somewhat improved... as if they had positioned the character in a more accessible way to the audience... but then again, I may be imagining this. However, I did notice the new booming sound of the cannons in the battle scene gone and the jumping water effects absent. Also, there seemed to be a prevailing detergent-like foam floating on the water for practically the entire lenght of the river throughout the ride. What's up with that?

Finally, with a very slow MK, comes the very obvious poor state of most walking surfaces thru the entire park, most visibly and jarring in the Frontierland and Liberty Square areas. However, with lesser crowds, the MK overall was cleaner than normal. Yet, the same old problems persist... water spills from most vending carts selling drinks, spray water bottles, and everywhere they have a huge can filled with ice for refrigerating purposes or in areas below water fountains. This creates unsightly mildew and microflooding problems.

One more thing... while the custodial cast had their job cut out for them due to low crowds... I have come to the realization that most guests are impaired in the use of trash cans. For some reason, many guests seems to discard their trash ON TOP OF the trash cans, rather than deposit them INSIDE the trash cans. This makes for more unsightly occurrences thru the park itself. C'mon people!! Get it together and discard your trash properly!!!

Finally, with the entire west side of Main Street USA opened for (retail) business..and after the renovations done to the former Magic Shop/Sports shop locations... now you can walk from the Emporium end of the Street, all the way to the Coke Corner stand and feel like you have walked thru a HUGE and LONG version of the Emporium. There is simply no variety in there at all! Just as fine since they sell the same KB Toys quality garbage in every shop.. something OLC seems to be doing just as well in TDR as of late.

Anyways, It was in all an enjoyable few hours at the MK.

Re: Quick report from the MK today 9/8th/06

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for the rest of the MK.. G-Fan and I rode POTC again.. and found it a bit improved. For some reason, the audio soundtrack was much more audible to the naked ear as I could finally comprehend clearly the new dialogue coming from the classic character scenes. I even found the last Depp AA in the jail scene to be somewhat improved... as if they had positioned the character in a more accessible way to the audience... but then again, I may be imagining this. However, I did notice the new booming sound of the cannons in the battle scene gone and the jumping water effects absent. Also, there seemed to be a prevailing detergent-like foam floating on the water for practically the entire lenght of the river throughout the ride. What's up with that?
    Bill and I noticed the floating soapy stuff yesterday..... At least we know it wasn't the dolewhip that made us imagine it... (It's really bad near the ship....)

nice update...

Comment

Thanks for you update and honest opinon, as always.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Sounds like some idiot took thier mini shampoo bottles from the hotel and dumped them in the water... all those air cannon's under water must create a lot of foam which is why they disabled them. I wonder if they are controled by the DACS system like the AA's in the ride, that would explain why the sound was not working as well... Anyhow sounds like the old shampoo or food coloring in the town fountain gag on a much bigger scale...
        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention in my quick trip report...
          G-Fan and I rode Haunted Mansion for the heck of it. I looked and did not see the Mr. Toad's statue in the cemetery. It's gone like it was during my visit to HM during early June. Also, having just ridden TDL's Nightmare B4 Xmas overlay this past week, I have to say not doing this at WDW is a major disservice to guests. I think it's sad that because the majority of guests at the MK are concidered "tourists", these special treats are not concidered in the least.

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention in my quick trip report...
            G-Fan and I rode Haunted Mansion for the heck of it. I looked and did not see the Mr. Toad's statue in the cemetery. It's gone like it was during my visit to HM during early June. Also, having just ridden TDL's Nightmare B4 Xmas overlay this past week, I have to say not doing this at WDW is a major disservice to guests. I think it's sad that because the majority of guests at the MK are concidered "tourists", these special treats are not concidered in the least.
            The yoyo bird and I saw this when we were there a few weeks ago and he has a photo of it. Interesting how he is gone, back and then missing again? :croll:

Anyway... great update as always Mr. Fan!

Comment

That's odd... he was there on Thur...

Comment

Finally, with the entire west side of Main Street USA opened for (retail) business..and after the renovations done to the former Magic Shop/Sports shop locations... now you can walk from the Emporium end of the Street, all the way to the Coke Corner stand and feel like you have walked thru a HUGE and LONG version of the Emporium. There is simply no variety in there at all! Just as fine since they sell the same KB Toys quality garbage in every shop.. something OLC seems to be doing just as well in TDR as of late.

Anyways, It was in all an enjoyable few hours at the MK.
                This is the most disturbing 'change' in the parks over the recent decade+ IMO.. well beyond any rants from others about rides and broken effects for 3 weeks, etc. Main street used to be so unique in its feel and variety and ATTRACTIONS. Now its just the Disney Store with a outside facade Come on.. with DTD and shops in every ride, we don't need an entire section of the interior of the park dedicated to merchandise. :rant:

I had to be dragged out of the penny arcade as a kid.. another experience you can't really find anywhere else. That was what Disney cool.. things you couldn't experience elsewhere or in that way.. and now its just commodity

Hopefully this oversaturation of merchandising will run its course and implode over time.. when disney realizes they can't pull people into the different shops when there is NO variety between them and no way to distinquish them. Hopefully locations will be zero gain and eventually they'll look at how to re-utilize the space for something better. I can only hope! :beg:

Comment

I think it's sad that because the majority of guests at the MK are concidered "tourists", these special treats are not concidered in the least.
                  Maybe they consider tourists don't need seasonal changes or minor tweaks constantly because they are already going to come at a fixed interval regardless.. every year or every few years. Where as locals will bore quicker because they come so often. A local can go more in one year then a 'tourist' may go their entire life. Without things to draw the locals in more.. they will stagnate.

I don't understand why you slam Orlando or Disney for being a tourist attraction.

Plus.. WDW has other overlays other parks don't. Do you want them to have every event in the park? Would be wonderful, but practical? And what of allowing each park to at least have some unique features?

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    This is the most disturbing 'change' in the parks over the recent decade+ IMO.. well beyond any rants from others about rides and broken effects for 3 weeks, etc. Main street used to be so unique in its feel and variety and ATTRACTIONS. Now its just the Disney Store with a outside facade Come on.. with DTD and shops in every ride, we don't need an entire section of the interior of the park dedicated to merchandise. :rant:

I had to be dragged out of the penny arcade as a kid.. another experience you can't really find anywhere else. That was what Disney cool.. things you couldn't experience elsewhere or in that way.. and now its just commodity

Hopefully this oversaturation of merchandising will run its course and implode over time.. when disney realizes they can't pull people into the different shops when there is NO variety between them and no way to distinquish them. Hopefully locations will be zero gain and eventually they'll look at how to re-utilize the space for something better. I can only hope! :beg:
                    I totally agree with you here! My husband wanes fondly about the magic store that used to be there and I really enjoyed the penny arcade as a kid too. These things were what gave Main Street it's nostalgic feel...Now it's just an overdressed shopping center. I rarely ever buy things in the park now since I know I can get most of the same thing on my way out of Disney at the World of Disney store instead.
                    Originally posted by larasound
                    am I the burrito man?

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan
                      The yoyo bird and I saw this when we were there a few weeks ago and he has a photo of it. Interesting how he is gone, back and then missing again? :croll:
                      This seems to be the case often... Toad was missing on Gay Days back in June, then some people saw it again. I did see it only once and twice I have been back to check on it and it has been missing, like yesterday. I took this pic with my cell...

Originally posted by flynnibus
                      I don't understand why you slam Orlando or Disney for being a tourist attraction.

Plus.. WDW has other overlays other parks don't. Do you want them to have every event in the park? Would be wonderful, but practical? And what of allowing each park to at least have some unique features?
                      Well, to be honest.. there are many things you don't understand or have a clue about, which is why you are always looking for ways to contradict me in the first place, even when you know I am correct about my observations. But to try to explain..(even though with you is a mute point to do so)..the reason why I slam WDW for NOT doing anything special for regular day guests is because they charge the highest admission fare and offer the least, per day per park, unless you pay up to park hop which opens more windows of opportunities to get your money and time's worth while there... Plus getting off easy just because "we rely on tourists only" seems to be a cheap way to not try harder to offer what could be an even more exceptional guest experience. But I am sure you still do not understand, do you?

Well FYI... we still have the Penny Arcade (and Magic Shop as well) at TDL where the original Disney standards of excellence are still followed to some degree, if you can understand that. I guess that is where I would find you if you experienced TDL.
                      Last edited by TDLFAN; 09-09-2006, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update! I am heading to WDW on Saturday for a week and am very happy to hear about the lack of crowds!

And don't worry, we will put our trash in the cans!!!

Comment

Let us know of Toad is back in the Haunted Mansion's cemetery.

Comment

Well, to be honest.. there are many things you don't understand or have a clue about, which is why you are always looking for ways to contradict me in the first place, even when you know I am correct about my observations. But to try to explain..(even though with you is a mute point to do so)..
                            Sorry you think the world revolves around you.. and insist on bringing up old blood. Maybe you should give it a rest? I post a valid question and you start right away being being negative and hateful.

the reason why I slam WDW for NOT doing anything special for regular day guests is because they charge the highest admission fare and offer the least, per day per park, unless you pay up to park hop which opens more windows of opportunities to get your money and time's worth while there...
                            Yes, the charge high amounts of low # of days. But when you look at the ticket prices for what audience they try to attract (the long term visit) the prices are quite reasonable ($35/day for a 7 day park hopper ticket..). Other resorts like DLR have a totally different ticket strategy.. making direct comparisons not so clear. DLR doesn't even advertise 7 day passes.. and park-hopper isn't really a comparison either because DLR only has 1.5-2 parks compared to 4 at WDW.

In fact, why would a 'regular day guest' even buy the low # of day tickets? They sure shouldn't! They should be using non-expiring or APs. But you're happy with your opinon of the price/value. Maybe you just aren't the audience WDW is shooting for? Or are just unhappy with the purchase options you have?

Well FYI... we still have the Penny Arcade (and Magic Shop as well) at TDL where the original Disney standards of excellence are still followed to some degree, if you can understand that. I guess that is where I would find you if you experienced TDL.
                            Unfortunatly no TDL in my future. To expensive to take my family to asia and I travel to Europe over asia for business. I'm negotiating a transfer to Norway right now tho.. so maybe Paris is within my sights for the spring

Comment

Let us know of Toad is back in the Haunted Mansion's cemetery.
                              No no, he is in the cemetary as you leave the ride...up on the hill to your left in the pet cemetary.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X