This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about the Haunted Mansion

Okay, I've been thinking quite a bit about the haunted mansion lately, it seems as though it's the attraction on the low end of the Magic Kingdoms TLC list, and I'm gonna make a very far-fetched guess as to why.

Of all of the attractions at the Magic Kingdom that have experience periods of less than satisfactory operation, this seems to be the worst. With effects broken down, sound not working, and other various mishaps, it seems as though this attraction is more kaput than Disney would allow it's attractions to get.

Last year while I was on my CP, I had the chance to attend a meeting with the chief show designer of the DMGM Studios, and I found out something interesting. Instead of having Imagineering crews out at all of the parks investigating major problems, they only have the crews investigate the parks one at a time by year. Last year it was the Animal Kingdom, and this year supposedly it's Magic Kingdom.

What if the Imagineers, with help from the WDW management are allowing Haunted Mansion to continue in it's decrepit form? Last year it had a lengthy refurb, however, the reason was to install new mandated fire alarms, not to refurb the attraction. What if a larger, more attention-getting refurb is on the way, utilizing not only effects from Disneyland, but also some being developed from other Disney parks worldwide, possibly even including a Haunted Mansion for Hong Kong? To raise financial support, they may be letting the attraction slowly fall apart. Instead of mini-refurbs throughout the course of a year, what if they plan a complete refurb, ala Space Mountain at DL.

I know this is extremely far-fetched and probably impossible, but I was merely presenting it as a "what-if" scenario for the board to ponder.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Re: Thoughts about the Haunted Mansion

Wow, that about sums up what I can say. That's some pretty stretched logic, not that it isn't possible. My guess that WDW knows full well that HM is falling apart but I doubt that they're planning a kickin' "A" refurb for it. My guess is that it will have a long refurb but when finished it will be just where it should of been all along. Not top dog of the HM's. MK just hasn't been rolling that way. Very interesting though.........
    - Horizonsfan

Comment

You guys really need the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay so the Mansion could be refurbed each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
        You guys really need the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay so the Mansion could be refurbed each year.

I have said that for years now. I just don't see it happening, but boy I wish it would.
        Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
        sigpic

Comment

I've always been against the overlay until I realized that it keeps the mansion in tip top shape by getting refurbed every year. So now I wouldn't mind it so much.

Comment

Last year while I was on my CP, I had the chance to attend a meeting with the chief show designer of the DMGM Studios, and I found out something interesting. Instead of having Imagineering crews out at all of the parks investigating major problems, they only have the crews investigate the parks one at a time by year. Last year it was the Animal Kingdom, and this year supposedly it's Magic Kingdom.
            This just shows a rather big flaw in the operations of the resort. Any problems that are visible to guests should be addressed immediately. I can understand the anal things like a little faded paint on a trash can, but everbody should notice that "When the --- -ors creak and the to-- ake" is not the proper lyrics to Grim Grinning Ghosts.

I think Haunted Mansion Holiday, while good in the short term, would probably do more damage in the long term. The complaints from the downtime and the original being gone, could have the effect of showing Walt Disney World why attractions need to be kept up and running as long as possible and lengthy refurbishments should be avoided.

Comment

Don't worry the HM will recieve it's overlay; when the moons align in a leap year, after pluto has switched orbits and democracy is running 100% in Iraq.:shy:
              So don't worry we'll get that overlay and refurb, just wait and see!:lol:
              - Horizonsfan

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                I think Haunted Mansion Holiday, while good in the short term, would probably do more damage in the long term. The complaints from the downtime and the original being gone, could have the effect of showing Walt Disney World why attractions need to be kept up and running as long as possible and lengthy refurbishments should be avoided.
                I disagree. The extreme popularity of the HMH overlay in both DL and TDR exponentially outweighs the comparatively few compliants the park receives from guests wishing the original Mansion was there during their visit, or complaints about the attraction being closed for refurb.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely convinced that the HMH exposes the regular HM to more frequent repair, anyway. Despite getting a mini-refurb (after the HMH) every year since 2001, DLs HM still has shoddy sound, a torn and filthy scrim, and general disrepair.

Comment

^The 5-7 times I've been to DLR this year I've found the sound system on Mansion to be excellent. However, the last time I was there was late-July. Although I have to agree that the scrims seem to be getting worse, but IMO, the stretch room seems to be in the worst condition.

I can't begin to imagine how bad things are at MK's HM, it's almost heartbreaking to hear of such disrepair to any Disney attraction, let alone a classic. I think the worst-kept attraction at DL right now is Indy, and even at its worst is no where near as bad as what I hear about MK's HM. Let's hope management gets their priorities straight soon. Personally, I think an overlay would do the attraction wonders.
                  Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Constance Gracey View Post
                    I disagree. The extreme popularity of the HMH overlay in both DL and TDR exponentially outweighs the comparatively few compliants the park receives from guests wishing the original Mansion was there during their visit, or complaints about the attraction being closed for refurb.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely convinced that the HMH exposes the regular HM to more frequent repair, anyway. Despite getting a mini-refurb (after the HMH) every year since 2001, DLs HM still has shoddy sound, a torn and filthy scrim, and general disrepair.
                    The most recent additions to HM (yourself included) represent a significantly more solid improvement to the mansion than the holiday overlay. If that modification had been done on the level of the DL POTC update, then the sound and scrim issues would not be something to discuss (although I wonder how the interior dusting of the mansion plays into the complaint of a "dirty" scrim).

HMH was the first time in many years that management at DL had to face a show producer with real marbles. The overlay budget was extended (miraculously) so that the additions would not outshine the outdated effects throughout the ride. Fast forward to now, and you can see that it is still managements willingness to put money on the table that keeps HM at DL up to date.

In Al's last update he talked about WDW Managers touring the DLR and gasping at the quality of attractions, most specifically the technology level of Anaheims cadre versus the level of Floridas hodgepodge. In short, Florida management is WAY behind the curve, and I suspect that it is a matter of complacency and anti competitiveness, even in the extremely saturated market of Orlando.

I am a huge mansion fan, and of course a DLR Traditionalist. Though I give it up for the lady of NOS, I must admit that the Goth of LS really has the bank for the original Mansion layout, and is still the true home to Master Gracey. I hope that the managers visit to SoCal does something to change the way they choose to operate their park (though the current horde of Weiss-ians isn't likely to do much with Kommissar Crofton at the helm).
                    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
                    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X