• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedway
    Former Epcot CM
    • Jan 2005

Re-working of Walt Disney World Transport System

Seeing as we are on the current popular theme of extension/refurbishment/general inprovement of the resort, I thought this would be a great time to bring up some of the ideas I had a few months ago when I was in Florida. I don't think for one minute this idea makes any major improvements, but certainly makes major changes.

Monorail
    The monorail system currently exists on two loops and is headquartered in the Walt Disney World Railroad shops behind the Magic Kingdom. The monorail shops should be moved to the Resort administrative headquarters, where executives have a much easier access to the parks that they run. This way the entire resort can be much easier managed, and a Transportation Central hub of sorts can be built next to the headquarters with gift shops etc.

There will be five monorail loops, all leading the shops to;
    Loop 1 - The first loop serves the stations that the monorail currently stops at on the Seven Seas Lagoon. This includes the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian. The Transportation and Ticket Center will be demolished (see further down).
    Loop 2 - The second loop serves Epcot at two stations - World Showcase and Future World.
    Loop 3 - The third loop serves Disney's Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge.
    Loop 4 - The fourth loop serves Disney-MGM Studios, World Wide of Sports and Blizzard Beach.
    Loop 5 - The fifth loop serves Downtown Disney, Disney's BoardWalk, and Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside.

Cars and buses
    Outside visitors to WDW will drive through one of the four entrances/exits to the resort (WDW North, WDW South, WDW East and WDW West, all other entrances/exits will be closed up) straight forward to the Transportation Central. Here, there will be huge mammoth parking lots where guests can leave their cars and travel by monorail or water launch (see below) to their chosen destination. Here, they can also purchase tickets, park hoppers and make resturaunt and hotel reservations with cast members.

If a guest would like to park hop between parks, the current Disney buses would be on hand. But if a guest decided to only go to WDW for a few hours, and say, later in the day to catch fireworks or something, the Transportation Central parking lots would close to all new arrivals at 4pm. They would remain open to guests who had arrived at the resort before 4pm. The guests who arrive after, and only plan to stay a few hours, drive to their chosen destination and park in a much smaller than current parking lot. This saves a lot of hassle from guests who cannot be bothered with parking in a big lot, catching a monorail/boat to say Epcot, watching IllumiNations and then catching a monorail/boat all the way back, and finding your car at 11pm. :botox: I don't think so.

Water launch/ferries
    The water launches would be the same as the coaches; they will carry the same purpose in the re-organization that they do now. Guests staying at riverside hotels can still make their way to theme parks etc by launch, but for guests parking in Transportation Central who tire of constantly riding on a monorail, new waterways would be opened up to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney. Epcot and MGM are already connected by waterways.

For all you folk who dismay at the thought of parking at MK, and catching the ferry from TTC to the park being demolished, well you cannot travel to MK by water launch only. At the old TTC site, the water launches would dock and the two ferries would be waiting to take guests across the lagoon. The monorail takes guests from Transportation Central to the MK directly though.

Notes
    Of course, these changes may seem ridiculous. If I was Al Weiss, I would never pass the budget for these changes in a month of Sundays without guaranteed success and a much easier route of transportation around the resorts. But, I feel this hub of sorts is much closer to Walt Disney's vision of EPCOT, which included transport links with People Movers to the various parks the resort would have. Well anyway, I would love your thoughts, praises, critiscms, ideas and changes to my plans. Please.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• testtrack321
    They wanna know, HO!
    • Jan 2005

I'd love to see transportation upgrade in WDW, but I don't think it's going to happen. The FIRST thing we would see are new monorails, not new lines, just new monorails themselves. I would like to see a better system of buses & hubs, as in actual hubs, not parks. Like mini-TTC locations!

While everone loves the Monorail, unfortunatly it's expensive and very ridged in terms of adaptation. With buses you can focus them, move them around, and even change routes. With the monorail, well, you know...
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Comment

• figment1986
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by testtrack321
      The FIRST thing we would see are new monorails, not new lines, just new monorails themselves. I would like to see a better system of buses & hubs, as in actual hubs, not parks. Like mini-TTC locations!

While everone loves the Monorail, unfortunatly it's expensive and very ridged in terms of adaptation. With buses you can focus them, move them around, and even change routes. With the monorail, well, you know...
      The current monorails are Cirtified for Many more years.. The thing i would do is do an extensive referbishment one monorail at a time... (two in slow season)

That would make the monorials look and feel... and smell newer.. but still the same..

The buses are already going through a replacement program.. you see more new buses already VS olde buses...

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
        Disney Memory Maker
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by figment1986
        The thing i would do is do an extensive referbishment one monorail at a time... (two in slow season)
        I believe currently, the monorails are being updated with new control panels (I believe touchscreens)

-Michael
        Walt Disney

Comment

• WDW1974
          • Apr 2005

WDW needs major transportation upgrades. There is nothing magical (not to mention safe) about standing on a bus for 30 minutes with stinky tourists and screaming brats on your way back to your $300 a night magical WDW resort room.

Disney's only answer the past decade has been to add more pollution-spewing buses.

Comment

• TDLFAN
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

If only they pulled the plug on those annoying and loud monorail spiels and replace with minimal blah blah blah and some soft music to relax the crowds as they ride, that alone would improve the WDW transport system greatly. "Mantenganse alejados de los loud-speakers!"

Comment

• Baccarati
              Park Hopper
              • Mar 2005

if they ever remove the "Please stand clear of the doors..." spiel from the monorail, i don't think i'll ever go near a monorail again. but i would have probably already moved to a foreign country that appreciates its nostalgic attractions.

Comment

• captsmith84
                Banned User
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by askmike1
                I believe currently, the monorails are being updated with new control panels (I believe touchscreens)

-Michael
                This was put on an in-definite hold. LOTS of problems with the new software have come up on the beta monorail (Monorail Yellow) and once the problems are fixed, the refurbshment will continue.

Currently, all monorail stations will be getting the new metal automatic gates, however the budget has not been approved yet to add these gates for the Resort Hotels. Just for the Epcot, TTC and MK Stations.

The new system on the monorail uses a magnetic key to start the monorail.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                  Banned User
                  • Feb 2005

Is it just me or do those new silver metal gates scream "GHETTO!"

...and from a gay man's point of view... they don't match the overal look of the station!

Comment

• figment1986
                    Banned User
                    • Jan 2005

They could at least "paint them"

(and i didn't only mean one thing like tech wise..... I mean car by car make the carpet stick and make the air condtioning units work even in the rain and hottest days of the summer... with good ventalation... I heard some cars can get bad with these problems...)

Comment

• WDW1974
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                      Is it just me or do those new silver metal gates scream "GHETTO!"

...and from a gay man's point of view... they don't match the overal look of the station!
                      They absolutely DO scream ghetto or at least Six Flags ... and no, you don't have to be gay to see they don't at all match the theming of a Victorian era station.

It's sad they are even needed, but they speak to two things -- the amazing stupidty of today's guests and the overwhelmin power Disney Legal exerts.

Comment

• Baccarati
                        Park Hopper
                        • Mar 2005

Re: Re-working of Walt Disney World Transport System

Originally posted by TDLFAN

we'll have to -eye that damn station

Comment

• Taggart
                          Self Congratulative
                          • Feb 2005

I've been in yellow many times and have two close friends who are monorail pilots.

Mostly it's budget that's killing the line. The inside of all the trains are falling apart! I was on monorail Red and a panel that covers the door controls wouldn't stay shut. All the electronics were exposed to the cabin.

Apart from that, yellow has a lot of control alarms that go off all the time.

Comment

• DoppelV
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

I think Disney transportation for Guests is wonderful. I've been relying on Dynamic while here on the College Program, and it sucks worse than anything has sucked before. The Disney buses are polite and fast. The Monorail is more of a novelty now than a valid form of transportation, but it still provides it's share. Where Disney takes transportation to the next level is with it's adaptation to boating. The Epcot IG Friendships to MGM and Epcot Resorts is a novel idea.

If I were to rework Disney transportation, I wouldn't start with the vehicles, I'd start with the routes. I would separate the MK parking lot from the TTC, make the TTC it's own entity with resort shuttles and entertainment shuttles only. I would then make a separate entrance for non-resort shuttles, with connections via monorail or train (yes, train). I would establish a new parking megaplex near the new TTC for guests with hoppers, leaving the regular lots open for single-day and cast-member parking.

I would utilize all forms of transportation at the resort; trains, boats, monorails, buses, and other forms...hydrofoils, light rail, express lanes, and even special biking and walking lanes.

This needs alot of work, but I think you get the general idea.

Oh yeah, Dynamic Sucks! Go American Coach!
                            In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                              We all need a Jiminy.
                              • Apr 2005

I like the idea that Niyxstyx had about using a train. I thought of that too.

I think a simple improvement for the AK section of the park would be a late 1800's train to link Epcot with AK and the AK resort. It would fit the
                              AK theme better and be more fun than buses. It might even be a link to DMGM too. An old fashioned train would fit the movie theme better too. An old fashion steam train would be cheaper to build than the Monorails.

As for the Monorails, I think that they do need some TLC from that last time I saw them. I would like another loop, but the cost to Disney is prohibitive. I do love riding on those Monorails! :roll:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X