This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Day Weekend

We're planning to book our 07 trip any day now and have decided to go early Oct.
    The only doubt I have is how much the Columbus Day holiday/weekend will affect us. Being a Brit I don't have much experience/knowledge of US holidays, but this one seems to be the most vague when it comes to trip planning!

We'll be able to push the start of trip a day or two either way but I need MCers help...
    Can anybody tell me what the crowds are like on Columbus Day?
    (And how big a deal Columbus Day is. Are schools off? Everybody gets the day off work? I can't find a definitive answer!)

Thanks in advance.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Re: Columbus Day Weekend

The schools dont take that day off.

Comment

Columbus Day is barely celebrated. I think only government employees have the day off. I wouldn't be concerned about it affecting your visit to the States.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
      Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

I think only government employees have the day off.
        And maybe some banks but that's it. I know I'll be working.

*grumble*

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
          Actually, my daughter is off on Columbus Day this year. That's why we are going when we are. But it isn't actually for Columbus day it's for a teacher's planning day. I don't know if it is coincidence or not. And we live in Florida. But that is really one of the best times of year to go, I believe. We do every year because of the cooler weather and less crowds. Plus they offer FL residents good rates this time of year because they are slower.
          Originally posted by larasound
          am I the burrito man?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
            I don't know about your schools but my kids schools has off for it as do local govenment and most banks. We have used it as a time for fall trips to Dl and WDW several times. If you do go then hope you go that Columbus day is at the start of your vacation. Then you will have the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot to look forward too.
            Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
              The current plan is to depart the UK on the Fri before Columbus Day, but I'm thinking of shifting that to at least the Sat so we're not in WDW for as much of the the CD weekend as possible.

Comment

Although Columbus Day isn't off here in Minnesota, that weekend in October the entire state has off for Minnesota Education stuff... SO... many, MANY Minnesotans will be there at that time. Trust me, I've been there as one of them, seen them buy tickets/talk about trips over that time in my Disney Store and seen them when I was down there last fall.

But have no fear, it's still a great time to go as I LOVE Halloween and fall at WDW!

Comment

That will be the most croweded weekend in October. And October is getting more and more crowded each year. Expect medium to heavy crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by captsmith84 View Post
                    That will be the most croweded weekend in October. And October is getting more and more crowded each year. Expect medium to heavy crowds.
                    All my other visits have been early April, and as long as the majority of our trip isn't much busier than it was then, we'll be fine.

We've settled on early Oct because late October is a major holiday for UK schools and the price/crowds go up accordingly.
                    Plus we want to visit MNSSHP and the weather in Oct seems to suit us best.

I think we'll travel on the Sat before CD and use the weekend to relax and visit resorts rather than hitting the major parks.
                    As we are there for 2 weeks we should have time to see all 4 Disney parks, Both Universals, SeaWorld and Busch as well as squeeze in some miniature golf, great dining and general WDW sight-seeing.

Thanks again to all.
                    :bow:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X