This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, now, Space Mountain

Having never ridden the WDW one, I was throughly confused when I saw a "lights on" video of WDW's Space Mountain and recognized none of the show. I still found myself wanting to check it out.
    But to the point.
    Now that SM at Disneyland has been redone, I noticed the video was using sound cues from the renovation. The safety spiel is the same, and I noticed some of the SM music used at the "unload" station.
    Are there any little bist and pieces that I'm missing that serve as transplants? This is aimed at those who have been on both versions.

Re: So, now, Space Mountain

WDW's Space Mountain is a different beast. Outside it looks just like a larger big white dome, but inside is a contraption that has more in common with Matterhorn Bobsleds; including two seperate tracks, a train of two vehicles with three one-across rows each, and two loading docks. Other unique features is that the queue goes under the train tracks (MK almost never goes underground because of the utilidoors system under the park) and that from the loading room, you can right look up into the dome without getting into a vehicle. At certain points of the day, when staring hard into the inky darkness above you can make out the darker shadow of the track against the dome roof, and the day-glo striping of the cars zipping around.

I'm not deeply familiar with any audio loops, but both Space WDW and Space DL have loops somewhere of mission control guys talking in their serious voices, a staple of any Disney outer space special in the 60s. The WDW ride has no onboard music of any kind. However, the queue has several audio tracks. Another site has a few of the tracks: This one is just entering the first portion of the interior queue, before taking the tunnel under the tracks. This song is in the tunnel under the train tracks and I believe somewhere in the post-show, because it's heard from Peoplemover, which enters the dome traveling over the post show tunnel. Inside the dome is some general "whoosh-whooosh-whooooooshhhhh" sounds, however this is probably more atmospheric for Peoplemover riders than Space riders because this older coaster makes a lot of rickety noises.

As for show elements, there's projections of stars and planets and meteors (including the world-famous chocolate chip cookie) on the roof of the dome and I think some stars moving on the side walls. That's all the show elements there are, and you'll probably won't notice them on Space because the coaster structure is probably blocking your vision.

I rode WDW's first, and rode Disneyland's in June. I guess I could say that WDW's is like riding a bumpy Matterhorn with show elements off and your eyes blindfolded. DL's was an incredible show experience (although the amount of light illuminates the dome walls too much for my tastes) but the track is more modern coaster, with banked turns and forces that cause you to feel like you left your brain on the last turn. Personally, I'd take the jerky whiplash effect of WDW's turns over the "oh my I don't think I'm gonna come out alright from this ride" feelings of the DL one. But keep in mind, of course, that I'm a big coaster chicken and riding these two attractions is about as close to "living on the edge" as I'll get.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 09-21-2006, 01:34 AM.

Comment

The two Space Mountains have hardly anything in common. The Space Mountain in WDW is based on the Matterhorn's track layout and system. It does not have any on-ride audio, and the Disneyland SM audio at unload was added after Disneyland's Space Mountain re-opened.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Comment

Wow, that's great info, MickeyMania. I rode the WDW SM as recently as April 2006, but it's been several years since I rode the DL version, and I can't remember a difference, apart from the side-by-side seating in the DL version versus the single-file seating at WDW. Thanks for telling me what I was missing--I'll definitely have to pay more attention next time!
        WI

Comment

But Rumor is that WDW's Space Mountain will get a full refurb including new track, ride vehicles, sound, and LCD video screens....

True? Who knows - I hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by Monorailred View Post
            But Rumor is that WDW's Space Mountain will get a full refurb including new track, ride vehicles, sound, and LCD video screens....

True? Who knows - I hope so!

I hope this rumor comes true. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by captsmith84 View Post
              The Space Mountain in WDW is based on the Matterhorn's track layout and system.
              System yes, layout no. It's not identical. I mean, first of all, at the top of the lift hill the tracks in WDW turn in different directions. At Matterhorn, both tracks have a left turn with Tomorrowland side on the outside of the turn and Fantasyland on the inside.

Matterhorn also relies on it's splashdown finale to slow down the sleds so they don't plow into each other at the load.

It's similar, but they're more cousins than twins.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                I hope this rumor comes true. LOL
                Oh so do I. When we went in July, I was so scared that the rickety old thing would fly off the tracks that I didn't have time to be scared from the actual turns and such of the ride itself.

I enjoyed the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster much, much more.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                  System yes, layout no. It's not identical. I mean, first of all, at the top of the lift hill the tracks in WDW turn in different directions. At Matterhorn, both tracks have a left turn with Tomorrowland side on the outside of the turn and Fantasyland on the inside.

Matterhorn also relies on it's splashdown finale to slow down the sleds so they don't plow into each other at the load.

It's similar, but they're more cousins than twins.
                  I never said the layouts were identical, but they layout is based on the Matterhorn's. Dual uphill lifts, dual track, and some other similar elements. Something doesn't have to be identical for it to be based upon something.

Comment

WDW's Space Mountain is an old albatross that needs to be majorly overhauled and brought forward to the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                      WDW's Space Mountain is an old albatross that needs to be majorly overhauled and brought forward to the 21st century.
                      You're absolutely right, TDL. I rode this last week on my vacation for the first time in a year. What a difference a year makes! This attraction has always been one of my favorites, but I only hit Space Mountain once, and doubt I will do it again on future trips. Nostalgia be damned.

This ride is shaky, uncomfortable, and I feared for throwing out my back (and I'm in decent shape). The queue is still fun in its 70s way, but the actual coaster itself was not any fun at all.

Comment

i say they need one track and they should do something along the lines of the paris attraction....yes the ride is fun, but a longer ride with all the fixins would be the icing on the realy old cake

Comment

I actually feel the track layout of the WDW Space Mountain is superior to the Paris one. It has a lot of varied turns and the drops are great! For coaster enthusiasts, it even has airtime... I missed the DL Space Mountain reopening by 2 weeks unfortunately, so I can't compare.

Space Mountain DLP track layout is very simple: After the launch, the train dives to the left and does a full circle of the mountain. It then dives under the waiting line into a "Sidewinder loop", which is a half loop followed by a half corkscrew to the left. All is fine until that point... Then, the train tries to turn, but literally shake itself apart (remember, the train got harnesses, so your head is taking a beating!) as it gets into the block brake. Its then trimmed as the train turns to the right for another full circle of the mountain, with a snappy (and painful) corkcrew and after shaky turn. The B lift with the Supernova effect leads the train into a right hand drop into a small hill. The "Tongue" follows, which consists of an overbanked turn to the right. The train then dives into a trench for the ending helix.

Imagine a very rough rock n roller coaster and that's what it is.

Space Mountain WDW track layout consist, if my memory is correct: After the lift, the train does a 180 degrees turn, followed by a slight drop to build speed. 2 turns follows as the train rise into a brake zone. The train then exits the brake zone into a 270 degrees turn, followed by 2-3 turns. The ride then rise (producing a good moment of airtime!) into another braking zone. The train then does a turn into the ride first major drop. A few high speed turns, a fly by with the lift leads the train into another braking area. What follows is the ride "big drop": 30-35 feet at a 40 degrees angle. A 360 degrees helix and turns lead into the "re entry" tunnel, which is followed by the final brakes and unload station, which is located 20-30 feet under the loading station.

Space Mountain at WDW has a more complicated and interesting layout. What it needs, if it ever gets a rehab... Proper staffing, so they can run the ride on that 18 seconds interval all the time. Magnetic brakes, so you get a silent braking at the end. New track. That's it. That's all it needs to be the best coaster in FL, which personally, it already is.
                          Last edited by SpaceMTFan; 09-21-2006, 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling check

Comment

Dude...you really know your SM ride...I'm impressed.

Comment

...also, I agree, it is one of the best roller coaster around. But I do hope they give it some TLC soon.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X