X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need restaurant ideas, please!

Originally posted by WashingtonIrving View Post
    I guess it would depend on the sort of setting you're looking for. Are you looking for a quiet dinner, where you can chat (and perhaps drink) by candlelight? Or something more laid back, where noise, passing children, and occassional character visits aren't an issue? Or maybe in between? Here are some choices I would throw in the pot (and I have a feeling you're going to see EVERY restaurant on the list after reading through all of our messages, which isn't going to make your task any easier!)

Outside the parks, I tend to like Boatwrights at Dixie Landings, and 1900 Park Fare. Never been to Vic & Al's, so I'm no help there.

Good luck, eqr! As I said, I'm sure EVERY restaurant will be someone's favorite!
    Actually laid back is fine too. I would just prefer no characters just because then I would want my daughters with me. I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me something specific about a special meal or great food at a particular reataurant like most of you have done. And I know everyone has their favorite but what I want to know is why it's your favorite. And I have eaten at Boatwrights twice with mixed results. The first time there I had a jambalaya that was to die for but the next time I had a steak I wanted to die from.:lol: I appreciate everyone's input and hope to report back on what we decide in the future. I like to take pics of my food. This is from our anniversary when they found out they sent this to the table at Le Cellier.

And this one is of a little fruit tart at Beach Club.
    Originally posted by larasound
    am I the burrito man?

Comment

I love food pics too...they have some great ones on *another* Disney board. PM me if you want to know where. Oh and I plan on taking food pics on my trip and will post them here.

Comment

When I went to California Grill at the Contemporary, it was with my grandson, who was about 10 at the time, and his mom. We timed it late, so we would be there for the fireworks.

I loved the special attention that they gave to my grandson. They didn't talk down to him. They talked to him. They explained their menu items. They have an open kitchen and Sean was reluctant to go take a peek, but he ended up really enjoying watching them prepare the food.

The tableclothe on our table was white, and we were encouraged to take the crayolas and draw or write on it. We had fun with that.

The food was delicious. We were not rushed, and Sean did not feel out of place. I had asparagus soup, if I am remembering correctly. I had the house special at the time, can't remember exactly, some sort of medallion it was called. Sean had pizza, called flatbread. We sampled sushi. Sean's mom had a cut of red meat. Don't remember exactly, but she was pleased. Dessert was strawberry shortcake. I've had better, but it was sufficient.

I didn't think that it was too overpriced. We were treated royally, not rushed. Saw the fireworks, and had a great time.

Now, I can see going there without children, and really having a great time. I didn't feel that the restaurant was stuffy. I didn't feel out of place. I had a great time. So did Sean.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I'll be anxious to hear where you go! I'm always looking for those pleasant surprises as well!
          WI

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
            So, what I would like are some honest opinions about where would be good to try next. Cost is not an issue, neither is location. Everything is open as an option. Suggest away! Thanks!
            Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific, Universal Orlando.

(Well, she DID state location wasn't an issue!)
            "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

I went to Raglan Road, the restaurant at Downtown Disney. It's really good! It's like Irish cuisine, and I was impressed. Narcoosee's is really good too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
                Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific, Universal Orlando.

(Well, she DID state location wasn't an issue!)
                Ha-ha!) You are correct about that! We have eaten at Emerils Universal City Walk about 6 years ago and it was fantastic. I'm just worried about being away from my daughters for too long. Actually, I'm more worried for their grandmother....We are leaning towards California Grill right now but who knows.
                am I the burrito man?

Comment

how about Boatwrights Dining Hall over at Port Orleans Riverside, my wife and I liked it ( Dinner )

Also Captain Jack's at Downtown Disney
                  Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
                  We'll let you decided who types what

Comment

Ok... You want special and price is not an issue... I'll give you some of my secrets.

1. The Chef's Table at Victoria and Alberts, or if you prefer more casual dress, Citricos. There is a hefty minimum purchase, but it will be a meal you'll never forget.

2. Charter the Grand One for a fireworks cruise and have Grand Floridian Private Dinning cater it. (you can charter Grand One by calling the Grand Floridian).

3. Have a private meal on the concierge level of the Grand Floridian, overlooking Cinderella's Castle, catered by Private Dining.

Outside of that, I always recommend Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Alfredos and the Biergarten at Epcot, Fresh at the Dolphin, Ohana at The Polynesian, Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge, and 50's Prime Time at MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummerMan View Post
                      Ok... You want special and price is not an issue... I'll give you some of my secrets.

1. The Chef's Table at Victoria and Alberts, or if you prefer more casual dress, Citricos. There is a hefty minimum purchase, but it will be a meal you'll never forget.

2. Charter the Grand One for a fireworks cruise and have Grand Floridian Private Dinning cater it. (you can charter Grand One by calling the Grand Floridian).

3. Have a private meal on the concierge level of the Grand Floridian, overlooking Cinderella's Castle, catered by Private Dining.

Outside of that, I always recommend Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Alfredos and the Biergarten at Epcot, Fresh at the Dolphin, Ohana at The Polynesian, Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge, and 50's Prime Time at MGM.
                      Oh wow! Thanks DrummerMan! I didn't even know about any of those private dining options. My husband loves those chef's table deals too. Thanks for the info!
                      am I the burrito man?

Comment

All this food talking is making me hungry & miss WDW!!!! My last trip was November 05 & I hope 2 go next year.
                        My fave restaurants (from the 05 Birnbaum book (I need the '07 book, don't have the 07 one yet or 06 one for that matter b/c I didn't go to WDW this yr)
                        Epcot-Fountain view bakery (Innoventions), Bistro de Paris (great food & view of World Showcase, I luv Epcot), Mitsukoshi (Japan pavilion), great food @ Rose & Crown (esp the fish n chips, yum-o! I want some now!), San Angel Inn, Liberty Inn.
                        MK-Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Royal Table. (I ate there my 1st WDW trip in 2001 w/my mom, niece (1 yr old, she's 6 now), sister & brother-in-law,
                        AK-Rainforest Cafe (it was freezing in there so my mom & I had 2 buy sweatshirts & still talk about that, b/c we went to the one in Chicago, plus I went to the 1 @ mall of America-it wasn't cold in there & I got a cool glass that lights up!).
                        MGM-didn't eat there, would like to
                        Downtown Disney-Wolfgang Puck (I have sushi everytime)

Have fun! Post pics here!!! & trip report!! I'll do the same next time I go
                        Epcot rocks! I luv Capt Jack Sparrow, alongside Will & Elizabeth!
                        twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
                        myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
                        Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
                        youtube.com/svhwdwnut

Comment

Hmm nice romantic dinner without kids... one day....

Ok my suggestions:

MK Area:
                          • Artist Point in the WL- I reccomend the Bison Steak or Ceadar plank Salmon
                          • Vitoria and Albert's - note Jacket and Tie required... But worth it.

Epcot Area:
                          • Le cellar - usually quiet
                          • Rose and Crown - on my honeymoon we where treated to free champaign, dessert, and a song...
                          • Flying Fish cafe - on the boardwalk, kinda more fun than romantic but good.
                          • Shula's Steak house - WDW Dolphin steak house, best in the area suposedly.
                          • Coral Reef - Quiet and dark, food was IMHO not the best and you have to question the logic of having a seafood restarant in the reef exhibit... I swaer the fish where looking at me saying "OMG you ate Kenny..."
                          MGM:
                          • Brown Derby - fairly quiet for an in park restarant, nice atmosphere but not as good as the origional...
                          Downtown:
                          • Fulton's Crab House - much better food than coral reef without the condemmed watching you eat...
                          Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                            Hmm nice romantic dinner without kids... one day....
                            Yeah...but I have to put up with my mother in her motor scooter. Hmmmm, is that fair enough or should I request another dinner too? Hate that motor scooter! And romance is overrated, I'm just looking forward to not having to cut up someone elses food and feed them while mine gets cold.)
                            am I the burrito man?

Comment

My favorites:

Jiko (I enjoyed it very much and it was very different. Great view and service)
                              Boma (best buffet in WDW with the best variety)

Artist Point (good food)
                              Flying Fish (always make sure we go there. Never had a bad meal or service)
                              Liberty Tree Tavern (only tried lunch and it was great. Trying dinner in December)
                              Concourse Steak House (great steak!!!)

Rose and Crown (great fish and chips and perfect location for Illuminations)

Will not go back to:
                              California Grill (use to be a favorite but prices went up, portions went down, dress code and service was beyond unacceptable)

Last edited by Tikiman; 09-28-2006, 07:39 AM.
                              DL 1975-2014
                              WDW 1984-2014

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/

Comment

I have to agree on this! We ate there back in May. Our server was great but the food wasn't. My husband actually saw a little girl pick up a piece of bread, take a bite out of it and then put it back on the buffet! Yuck! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Keep them coming! I love hearing about your experiences!
                                am I the burrito man?

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks
                                  And romance is overrated
                                  Say what?!?!? HELLO!!! Look at Tikiman's avatar and tell me you would not like to be romantic with such hansdome face!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                    Say what?!?!? HELLO!!! Look at Tikiman's avatar and tell me you would not like to be romantic with such hansdome face!!!
                                    :lol: Yes, it is a very handsome face! But how do you think I got the kids I am trying to have a dinner away from!:lol: JK! My girls are my life. They are the only reason I even go into Fantasyland anymore. Or as I like to call it...Hades with stollers.
                                    am I the burrito man?

Comment

WOW thanks for the compliments TDLFAN and evilqueenrocks. I am starting to feel more welcome around here already
                                      DL 1975-2014
                                      WDW 1984-2014

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/

Comment

Originally posted by DrummerMan View Post

We just got back from our Halloween trip! My husband was wondering if you or anyone else had anymore info or who he can call to get info on these 2 options. Thanks!
                                        am I the burrito man?

Comment

Hi guys, I didn't want to start a new thread since I'm basically asking the same question, except it's not my anniversary! It's my 21st birthday and I'll be staying in the Grand Floridian the night before, and the night of my birthday. So I'm looking for suggestions for a nice, special dinner for just myself and my mother on the eveing of my birthday- all suggestions are welcome, kids and characters don't bother me but maybe a dress code would. Would love to hear about anywhere you think would be suitable, champagne and caviar or burgers and chips, it doesn't matter! :lol: thanks!
                                          November 1996. Surprise birthday trip

April 1998

April 2000

November 2003

February 2005

November 2006. My 21st birthday trip to the Grand Floridian

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse". Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X