X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eliminate from WDW

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
    We're not stereotyping
    Yet you say and I quote "while real golf is typically a pastime of rich men"

Here's some survey facts for you (older, but not worth looking up newer ones to prove such an obvious point):

"According to the National Golf Foundation, the average household income of golfers last year was $68,209, compared with $51,855 for the average U.S. household in 1998, the most recent year Census data is available"

"Additionally, for the first period in history, there are more golfers under the age of 40 than over, with 47.7 percent falling into the highly desirable 18 to 39 age group."

so yes, while there are tons of older guys playing golf.. don't write off the 25+ MILLION golf players in the country.

Fact is there's not many places for homeless to go in my city, but we sure have lots and lots and lots of golf courses. Big wide expanses far larger than any other game's court.
    What in the world do the # of golf courses have to do with your city's social services? You do realize most golf courses are PRIVATLY OWNED and have nothing to do with your city or county's social system.

How popular is it?
    A former WDW marketing executive talked about his efforts to try and market the Golf Resort (Shades of Green) to golf enthusiasts and all his efforts came up dry. The conclusion was that people at WDW don't want to play golf, and/or people who want to play golf don't want to go to WDW to do it.
    Yet Disney doubled their courses.. and added yet more later. The Shades of Green was never on par to be a resort. Only after its recent refurb and new wing is it even worthy of a moderate.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
      Yet Disney doubled their courses.. and added yet more later. The Shades of Green was never on par to be a resort. Only after its recent refurb and new wing is it even worthy of a moderate.
      I though Shades of Green was their military family discount resort? Am I wrong about this? Was it at one time?
      Originally posted by larasound
      am I the burrito man?

Comment

What in the world do the # of golf courses have to do with your city's social services? You do realize most golf courses are PRIVATLY OWNED and have nothing to do with your city or county's social system.
        Sorry, it's a local rant. First of all, our city does actually own some courses. Secondly, anytime a golf course developer needs some land, the city council is there with a sympathetic heart and ear. They might not be public land, but quite a few of them once were.

My original point was that I've never seen statistics that says that golf, particularly pro-level courses WDW proudly advertises, are popular with all agre groups and incomes.

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
          I though Shades of Green was their military family discount resort? Am I wrong about this? Was it at one time?
          It is now, and has been for 4+ years or so. Before that it was a golf-focused Disney owned Hotel. The DoD took it over, and now its available to military families at a discount. Its a great deal.. $109 a night last time we were there and you get all the on-site perks.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

My original point was that I've never seen statistics that says that golf, particularly pro-level courses WDW proudly advertises, are popular with all agre groups and incomes.
            Golf is an expensive sport.. but its also a huge sport with people willing to spend tons of money on it. Its not going to appeal to everyone, nor does it need to. That's why WDW has variety Camping in a RV isn't for everyone either

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Yet you say and I quote "while real golf is typically a pastime of rich men"
              Flynn, look, my childhood buddy is into golf, right? And he's as middle-America as can be. However, he's not into paying the premium for 4.5* courses. And frankly, it's not an activity the family can do together, which was the motto of a Disney destination. Now keep in mind that I don't mind specialty adult-oriened entertainment when it's kept to a reasonable leash (ie: PI), but how much space is WDW using on golf parks?

If it's not that much space, I'll admit I made an error.

Did I put my mouth in foot by saying golf is for rich men? Okay, sure, but real golf is not a whole-family sport, hence why putt-putt exists in the first place.

You must be a golf guy, because you're really on a rampage here. I don't have a ton of sympathy for most of our city's poverty vagrants, since many of them practically do it as a career, which was the reason for the controversial no-feeding-in-parks law. HOWEVER, our city does own it's own golf course(s), and pays private operators money to maintain it. And we have plenty of private courses without needing the city to operate one for our embetterment.

Comment

Flynn, look, my childhood buddy is into golf, right? And he's as middle-America as can be. However, he's not into paying the premium for 4.5* courses.
                But who you know doesn't change facts. Golf can and IS a huge draw in many places. Look at places like South Carolina.. where there are plenty of destinations where Golf IS the draw.

And frankly, it's not an activity the family can do together, which was the motto of a Disney destination. Now keep in mind that I don't mind specialty adult-oriened entertainment when it's kept to a reasonable leash (ie: PI), but how much space is WDW using on golf parks?
                Space isn't really a metric of worth. Otherwise why would Disney put such large lagoons everywhere that don't do anything?

As for things they can do together.. don't abuse a theory quoted about a single amusement park and try to apply it to an entire resort carte blanc. Disney has plenty of activities that are single group focused. The idea is the WHOLE brings activities for the whole family.. not necessarily each individual activity.

You must be a golf guy
                No, It just really rubs me when people make extreme mis-guided generalizations. I'm technical so I'm about precision and blanket statements irk me

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X