• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flynnibus
    replied
    Re: Eliminate from WDW

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Flynn, look, my childhood buddy is into golf, right? And he's as middle-America as can be. However, he's not into paying the premium for 4.5* courses.
    But who you know doesn't change facts. Golf can and IS a huge draw in many places. Look at places like South Carolina.. where there are plenty of destinations where Golf IS the draw.

And frankly, it's not an activity the family can do together, which was the motto of a Disney destination. Now keep in mind that I don't mind specialty adult-oriened entertainment when it's kept to a reasonable leash (ie: PI), but how much space is WDW using on golf parks?
    Space isn't really a metric of worth. Otherwise why would Disney put such large lagoons everywhere that don't do anything?

As for things they can do together.. don't abuse a theory quoted about a single amusement park and try to apply it to an entire resort carte blanc. Disney has plenty of activities that are single group focused. The idea is the WHOLE brings activities for the whole family.. not necessarily each individual activity.

You must be a golf guy
    No, It just really rubs me when people make extreme mis-guided generalizations. I'm technical so I'm about precision and blanket statements irk me

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    Yet you say and I quote "while real golf is typically a pastime of rich men"
    Flynn, look, my childhood buddy is into golf, right? And he's as middle-America as can be. However, he's not into paying the premium for 4.5* courses. And frankly, it's not an activity the family can do together, which was the motto of a Disney destination. Now keep in mind that I don't mind specialty adult-oriened entertainment when it's kept to a reasonable leash (ie: PI), but how much space is WDW using on golf parks?

If it's not that much space, I'll admit I made an error.

Did I put my mouth in foot by saying golf is for rich men? Okay, sure, but real golf is not a whole-family sport, hence why putt-putt exists in the first place.

What in the world do the # of golf courses have to do with your city's social services? You do realize most golf courses are PRIVATLY OWNED and have nothing to do with your city or county's social system.
    You must be a golf guy, because you're really on a rampage here. I don't have a ton of sympathy for most of our city's poverty vagrants, since many of them practically do it as a career, which was the reason for the controversial no-feeding-in-parks law. HOWEVER, our city does own it's own golf course(s), and pays private operators money to maintain it. And we have plenty of private courses without needing the city to operate one for our embetterment.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

My original point was that I've never seen statistics that says that golf, particularly pro-level courses WDW proudly advertises, are popular with all agre groups and incomes.
    Golf is an expensive sport.. but its also a huge sport with people willing to spend tons of money on it. Its not going to appeal to everyone, nor does it need to. That's why WDW has variety Camping in a RV isn't for everyone either

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    I though Shades of Green was their military family discount resort? Am I wrong about this? Was it at one time?
    It is now, and has been for 4+ years or so. Before that it was a golf-focused Disney owned Hotel. The DoD took it over, and now its available to military families at a discount. Its a great deal.. $109 a night last time we were there and you get all the on-site perks.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

What in the world do the # of golf courses have to do with your city's social services? You do realize most golf courses are PRIVATLY OWNED and have nothing to do with your city or county's social system.
    Sorry, it's a local rant. First of all, our city does actually own some courses. Secondly, anytime a golf course developer needs some land, the city council is there with a sympathetic heart and ear. They might not be public land, but quite a few of them once were.

My original point was that I've never seen statistics that says that golf, particularly pro-level courses WDW proudly advertises, are popular with all agre groups and incomes.

Leave a comment:

• EvilQueenRocks
    replied

Yet Disney doubled their courses.. and added yet more later. The Shades of Green was never on par to be a resort. Only after its recent refurb and new wing is it even worthy of a moderate.
    I though Shades of Green was their military family discount resort? Am I wrong about this? Was it at one time?

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

We're not stereotyping
    Yet you say and I quote "while real golf is typically a pastime of rich men"

Here's some survey facts for you (older, but not worth looking up newer ones to prove such an obvious point):

"According to the National Golf Foundation, the average household income of golfers last year was $68,209, compared with $51,855 for the average U.S. household in 1998, the most recent year Census data is available"

"Additionally, for the first period in history, there are more golfers under the age of 40 than over, with 47.7 percent falling into the highly desirable 18 to 39 age group."

so yes, while there are tons of older guys playing golf.. don't write off the 25+ MILLION golf players in the country.

Fact is there's not many places for homeless to go in my city, but we sure have lots and lots and lots of golf courses. Big wide expanses far larger than any other game's court.

How popular is it?
    A former WDW marketing executive talked about his efforts to try and market the Golf Resort (Shades of Green) to golf enthusiasts and all his efforts came up dry. The conclusion was that people at WDW don't want to play golf, and/or people who want to play golf don't want to go to WDW to do it.
    Yet Disney doubled their courses.. and added yet more later. The Shades of Green was never on par to be a resort. Only after its recent refurb and new wing is it even worthy of a moderate.

Leave a comment:

• EvilQueenRocks
    replied

Whatever is a reasonable number of kids is however many strollers you feel you wish to push along. If everyone who can walk in your party is pushing a stroller, than so be it. All I'm saying is that they shouldn't cater to the Cheaper By The Dozen crowd by making Stroller Minivans.

As for what constitutes a big kid, I don't know and that was my point. Everyone else complains about children too large for a stroller being pushed around. I say, hey, if it moves forwards and that's what they want to do, then let them do it.
    OK. Just curious. I have a 5 and a 2 year old. We only rent a stroller for the 5 year old because she really likes it. It seems special to her because we don't do it everywhere else. And my 2 year old is tiny and the strollers at the parks are not safe for her so we always bring a smaller one for her. But I see the point of the SUV sized double strollers which you can actually fit 3 kids in. I don't like them either and will never rent one. I hate the people with them who block the walk thru paths that are set up during fireworks.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

Whatever is a reasonable number of kids is however many strollers you feel you wish to push along. If everyone who can walk in your party is pushing a stroller, than so be it. All I'm saying is that they shouldn't cater to the Cheaper By The Dozen crowd by making Stroller Minivans.

As for what constitutes a big kid, I don't know and that was my point. Everyone else complains about children too large for a stroller being pushed around. I say, hey, if it moves forwards and that's what they want to do, then let them do it.

Leave a comment:

• EvilQueenRocks
    replied

I don't have a problem with big kids in little strollers, since it's up to everyone to make the choice to make themselves look stupid, but I would like to see strollers reduced to singles again, with maybe a double-wide baby stroller for they VERY little ones.

The SUVs have to go. If you couldn't stop at a reasonable number of kids, then this is what you're going to have to deal with. Life is tough.

Uh...What do you consider a big kid or a reasonable number of kids?

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
    Another thing that definately needs to go, more so than the Fast Pass, is the damn SUV sized strollers. Too many times the kids in them are big and I mean BIG enough to walk, in fact many of them could use the exercise.
    I don't have a problem with big kids in little strollers, since it's up to everyone to make the choice to make themselves look stupid, but I would like to see strollers reduced to singles again, with maybe a double-wide baby stroller for they VERY little ones.

The SUVs have to go. If you couldn't stop at a reasonable number of kids, then this is what you're going to have to deal with. Life is tough.

I think the stats on Golf speak for itself.. no need to stereotype (and poorly at that).
    We're not stereotyping. Fact is there's not many places for homeless to go in my city, but we sure have lots and lots and lots of golf courses. Big wide expanses far larger than any other game's court.

Just because you don't play doesn't make Golf any less popular then it is..
    How popular is it? A former WDW marketing executive talked about his efforts to try and market the Golf Resort (Shades of Green) to golf enthusiasts and all his efforts came up dry. The conclusion was that people at WDW don't want to play golf, and/or people who want to play golf don't want to go to WDW to do it.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Seems to me that you should start clearing out the real golf parks before the mini-golf. Mini-golf can be enjoyed by all ages and income levels, while real golf is typically a pastime of rich men.
    I think the stats on Golf speak for itself.. no need to stereotype (and poorly at that). Just because you don't play doesn't make Golf any less popular then it is.. and in fact its one of the few sports people actually travel for JUST TO PLAY golf.. at many skill levels, not just the top echechlon of participants. Golf adds to a destination, sorry you just can't ignore that.

And given over the recent history, Disney ADDED courses.. I'd find it hard to argue that they don't give Disney return for their money.

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied

***Moderator Note- Let's cut the snarky remarks and personal attacks. Just because someone may have a different point of view than yours, doesn't mean you get to insult them. Attack the post not the poster. Please review our FAQ's.

Leave a comment:

• EvilQueenRocks
    replied

Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
    What's with all the backpacks and luggage in the parks lately? I saw several people yesterday in the Magic Kingdom dragging a suitcase on wheels behind them. I followed them for awhile, they went up to the Tomorrowland Terrace opened up the suitcase and it seemed like they had an entire grocery store in there. They made sandwiches and stuff right there at the tables. They were using the suitcase more like a cooler, and they had all the fixins from pre pakaged salads and a loaf of bread to bottles of Pepsi. I'd rather pay the few dollars more, based on all the food they had, I doubt they saved much, than drag that cooler/suitcase around the park all day.
    This one, on the scale you mention here, bugs me too. But, I need to bring in small snack items in my backpack style diaper bag for my 2 daughters. My oldest daughter for example doesn't eat candy only the fruit snacks. I am not going to deprive her of this since this is not something that is sold in the parks as well as many other food items that they will eat. But what you mentioned above is just crazy. I know the food is overpriced at WDW but it's just all part of it. Plus I can't imagine how long it took security to look through all of that. I would be too embarassed to bring that much food into the park.

Leave a comment:

• Neon Cactus
    replied

There are a few things that I might remove, but when I think about things that I don't personally use, like WWoS, Richard Petty Experience, DVC, and things like that, then I think that there are people who come to WDW and enjoy those things. That's the beauty of WDW is that it does offer nearly something for everyone. I'm not a huge fan of DTD Westside, but with DisneyQuest, Cirque, House of Blues, AMC Theaters, etc. it offers more things to do. And, although I'm not sure how much Disney makes, these companies pay Disney money to be there, so removing it would not really save the company $$. I don't mind McDonalds so much at the marketplace (I will never go to a McDonalds at a Disney resort, but that's my own opinion), but I do wish they'd remove that eyesore by the All-Stars.

Definitely do not remove Fastpass. I think it's a great system.

Leave a comment:

• ti2gr
    replied

Personally I think Fast Pass needs to go away. Waiting in line is not fun, but when you go to a theme park it is to be expected. Fast Pass to me, just makes the standard lines longer. Another thing that definately needs to go, more so than the Fast Pass, is the damn SUV sized strollers. Too many times the kids in them are big and I mean BIG enough to walk, in fact many of them could use the exercise.

Another change I'd like to see made is a return of the policy that you couldn''t bring food from the outside into the park. The other day at work in the park there were guests with large cold drink cups advertising Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. Finish the drinks outside the park and throw the cups away.

What's with all the backpacks and luggage in the parks lately? I saw several people yesterday in the Magic Kingdom dragging a suitcase on wheels behind them. I followed them for awhile, they went up to the Tomorrowland Terrace opened up the suitcase and it seemed like they had an entire grocery store in there. They made sandwiches and stuff right there at the tables. They were using the suitcase more like a cooler, and they had all the fixins from pre pakaged salads and a loaf of bread to bottles of Pepsi. I'd rather pay the few dollars more, based on all the food they had, I doubt they saved much, than drag that cooler/suitcase around the park all day.

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Please, don't give G-Fan a big head. He already thinks he is the belle of the ball in all of the meets we have attended.
    But I do love my hunky redheaded babystud.:blush:
    I didn't inflate his ego - you just did. :cwink:

Next time, I'll just go back to inflating yours then.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Of course you are darling .. especially with that fablous hunk of a husband, G-fan. :shy: (yup... MiceChat still doesn't have a drool icon, so that will have to do.)
    Please, don't give G-Fan a big head. He already thinks he is the belle of the ball in all of the meets we have attended.
    But I do love my hunky redheaded babystud.:blush:

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    In my best impersonation of Nathan Lane in "La Cage" with Robin Williams... " I *AM* a woman!!!"
    Of course you are darling .. especially with that fablous hunk of a husband, G-fan. :shy: (yup... MiceChat still doesn't have a drool icon, so that will have to do.)

Leave a comment:

• WRDup
    replied

Originally posted by aimster View Post
    Honey, I Bored the Audience to Death.
    Amen

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X