X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN
    replied
    Re: Rollerblading Custodial

We have had rollerblading custodials at TDL for like... years. They perform the preshow portions along the parade route every day and can be seen in some areas of the park daily. Greatest CMs of them all (at TDL).

Leave a comment:

• Colorado Kid
    replied

Yes they used to have a rollerblading team here but for some reason unknown to me they stopped it. No word on in yet. Will keep you updated.

Leave a comment:

• Gorwingel
    replied

I heard abuut the rollerblades in Tokyo, but never would have thought that they were an option in Orlando
    I may have to go an investigate this myself

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

Originally posted by Figment76 View Post
    One question, since Heelys aren't allowed in the parks because of the no skating rule, isn't there a concern that a kid who's asked to removed the wheels on the shoes won't point at a skating custodian and say, "But why is he/she allowed?"
    That's presuming they'll actually bother to enforce their rule.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

Funny indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Colorado Kid
    replied

I could deal with people hitting on me . Oh yeah, and we have the rollerblades in, we are just waiting for more safety equipment.

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Originally posted by Colorado Kid View Post
    Haha, just dont start hitting us as we go by because that wouldnt be nice. And yes, we sign our life away to Disney when we volunteer to do it.
    :lol: When I first read that I thought you said hitting on us. But yes, I promise never to do either - how's that?

Leave a comment:

• Colorado Kid
    replied

Haha, just dont start hitting us as we go by because that wouldnt be nice. And yes, we sign our life away to Disney when we volunteer to do it.

Leave a comment:

• TikiRoomLiz
    replied

I broke my leg rollerskating (which is in the same realm as rollerblading), so I think I'll be getting anxious whenever they get near me with their rollerblades. I am just concerned for their safety. It freaks me out just to see kids in those Heelys ... now rollerblading CM's ... hopefully I'll take it easy if I see them.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by Figment76 View Post
    One question, since Heelys aren't allowed in the parks because of the no skating rule, isn't there a concern that a kid who's asked to removed the wheels on the shoes won't point at a skating custodian and say, "But why is he/she allowed?"
    Because its part of the show.

The CMs are allowed to drive cars in the park too.. but you aren't

Leave a comment:

• ecdlanddude
    replied

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
    Couldnt the CM's sue if they get hurt from this?
    Nah, we sign away all our rights before we can even strap them on.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

hrmmm.. sue over a voluntary role.. when you fall because of your own fault?

You'd have to sue over some negligence.. like them failing to fix some portion after they've known its an issue, etc.

Its not 'lazy' nor 'dangerous'. It simply requires some skills. Will people fall? Surely. Is it the end of the world? No.

Leave a comment:

• Figment76
    replied

That is a valid concern, and believe me that safety will be the number one concern, which is why only experienced rollerbladers will be out in public for the time being. As far as the delay, im not sure about how long it is going to take. We really just have to wait for the right equipment. And yes, we will be wearing helmets, elbow pads and knee pads.
    Glad to hear they are being outfitted with all the safety gear! I'm an inline skating instructor (need someone to come teach your custodians? ) and race competitively. I've seen too many accidents (and been in a few) that would have been much worse were it not for the gear.

Just as an FYI, if you are looking for wrist guards as well, they are available in glove form. The old style really limited the wrist movement, so I can see why they would have been passed over before. But the new ones are rather nice.

Leave a comment:

• barfownz
    replied

Couldnt the CM's sue if they get hurt from this?

Leave a comment:

• Colorado Kid
    replied

That is a valid concern, and believe me that safety will be the number one concern, which is why only experienced rollerbladers will be out in public for the time being. As far as the delay, im not sure about how long it is going to take. We really just have to wait for the right equipment. And yes, we will be wearing helmets, elbow pads and knee pads.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

Last time I checked wearing rollerblades takes more leg strength than just walking, so I don't view this as "lazy" by any means.
    THe only concern I would have is someone losing control and running into a guest but as far as lazy, It's great for the legs and the abs as well and burns callories. I do hope they are wearing helmets as well

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Thanks! Will do. As soon as I get mine. We havent had the program going for a while, so our stockpile of useful blades have depleted. One of the managers is working on getting new pairs but until then it will be delayed a little bit.
    I'm glad you have a manager that's trying to jump start some excitement in your area and for the theme of the area. May I ask how long this delay is expected to be?

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I give this one a thumbs-down, although I can't blame any CM who wants to give it a try. It just seems lazy from my view.
    Last time I checked wearing rollerblades takes more leg strength than just walking, so I don't view this as "lazy" by any means.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

I give this one a thumbs-down, although I can't blame any CM who wants to give it a try. It just seems lazy from my view.

I assume you must also wear a helmet when doing this?

Leave a comment:

• Colorado Kid
    replied

Thanks! Will do. As soon as I get mine. We havent had the program going for a while, so our stockpile of useful blades have depleted. One of the managers is working on getting new pairs but until then it will be delayed a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Totally agree. One of the guys I work with has had a few test runs and so far the guest reaction is really positive. I think we will start out ONLY with people who are very secure with roller blading then begin to train others who want to.
    Sounds great! Keep us updated.

And welcome to MiceChat! :cgrin:

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X