• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doopey1
    replied
    Re: Al's Column: What about WDW?

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I only post reliable information.
    I did not mean to imply otherwise, I was just wanting to dig a little deeper. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: If you're basing you're opinion on a purely financial point of view, then at least a coven of witches has an idea where you're coming from in what you're saying. But in terms of charm and creativity--alone--we'd still have to say that Disneyland outshines them all and is the true 'flagship'.
    I agree. 100%.

Leave a comment:

• WDW1974
    replied

Originally posted by Doopey1 View Post
    Please, please tell me more. Are these reliable rumors that I can go to sleep at night and dream about? What is the new e-ticket? Is it oft-rumored Incredibles ride for Tomorrowland or something different that we've never heard about? Did I miss a thread somewhere that discussed this?
    I only post reliable information.

From what I've been told/pieced together, money has already been budgeted for major redos on both Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise, with a few smaller add-ons to Pirates.

As to what the E-Ticket will be, I can't tell you because I don't know myself. But, yes, it could be the Incredibles.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
    If they aren't careful their supposed flagship park will cost more than 100 just to walk through the gate. and that would severly limit attendance.
    One problem with DL is that too many guests pay too little to enter the park.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORDDU: As I recall, even Michael Ei$ner used to refer to Disneyland as the 'Flag Ship' Park. Not that I usually agree with anything that man ever had to say. But for once I suppose he actually did say something we could agree with. But, really, it's a matter of opinion. If you're basing you're opinion on a purely financial point of view, then at least a coven of witches has an idea where you're coming from in what you're saying. But in terms of charm and creativity--alone--we'd still have to say that Disneyland outshines them all and is the true 'flagship'.

ORGOCH: Maybe they meant ta say Walt Dizzy Whirl was the 'fagship' a the Dizzy theme parks. Ain't they got the biggest draw fer Gay Days?

ORWEN: You should know, old biddy. You were there to see for yourself, you know. In the meantime, I've also heard Disneyland referred to as the 'crown jewel' of Disney theme parks. I'd have to agree with that, too. But that does NOT mean I'm putting Walt Disney World down by saying that. Walt Disney World is wonderful. If we didn't think so, we wouldn't go there so much. It's just that Disneyland appeals to us even more--enough to rate it as the very best of the best.

Leave a comment:

• Malin
    replied

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post

Disney World has been far from ignored, however. They got Everest, they're getting the Laugh Floor Comedy Club, they're getting Nemo for the Living Seas, among other things.

And these are just the things we know about.I think WDW is in decent position right now as its in a stage where growth for tourism in Orlando has come to a halt.So instead of building more new hotels and half built parks we are instead going to have the money spent on the already four existing parks.To keep them looking strong and fresh and to keep making money out of them.

Leave a comment:

• kcnole
    replied

There's been a few threads discussing this. The master plan for WDW for the next several years has been confirmed to be mainly refurbishment of classic rides. Al himself stated a while back that WDW management was so blown away with the HM and Jungle Cruise that they were both going to get some major refurbs. (One of the ideas I don't like is that they may do a pre-show video while in line for the jungle cruise with Timon and Pumba).

Nothing is confirmed in anyway, but it's widely speculated that Space Mountain is going to get a refurb in the next year and I've heard some fairly substantial confirmation that there is a plan for an E-ticket to go in the magic kingdom in either the old 20k spot, somewhere in adventureland, or in frontierland. Nothing has been given on either of those however.

Leave a comment:

• Doopey1
    replied

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post

Both Space and Jungle Cruise will be getting redos and a new E-Ticket is on the way for the MK
    Please, please tell me more. Are these reliable rumors that I can go to sleep at night and dream about? What is the new e-ticket? Is it oft-rumored Incredibles ride for Tomorrowland or something different that we've never heard about? Did I miss a thread somewhere that discussed this?

Leave a comment:

• Ghostbuster626
    replied

My biggest dream is for Magic Kingdom and Epcot to get revamped and restored to there old glory.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

walt disney did create disneyworld. he didn't build it, but it was all planned out before he died. well MK was. and the hotels were as well. roy took the plans and made them real. well most of them real. frankly I read al's article and I still see pixar centeral and now they want to turn the island into a pirates playground? this is what happens when marketing is allowed to take over something they don't know. it's bad enough they want to add orlando and keira to the pirates ride but they don't need more pirates. I am sure they can find another " frontier" theme that would fit better than pirates. also 650 million dollars over 5 years to fix a park? I hate to think how much it's gonna cost to visit those parks in 5 years. If they aren't careful their supposed flagship park will cost more than 100 just to walk through the gate. and that would severly limit attendance.

Leave a comment:

• Neon Cactus
    replied

Just a theory on why DL's getting the attention right now. They just finished up the 50th anniversary promotion, which was more successful than even Disney expected. They're getting ready to announce the new Disney Cruise ship on the West Coast, so with all of this going on, Disney wants to establish Disneyland as a resort destination, rather than a 1 or 2 day park that it traditionally has been. And they have two parks and the second park has flopped, so if they are to become a resort destination, they need people to be as excited to see DCA as they are for Disneyland.

Disney World has been far from ignored, however. They got Everest, they're getting the Laugh Floor Comedy Club, they're getting Nemo for the Living Seas, among other things.

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I wanted to chime in on the whole flagship thing. The way I've always seen it is that Walt Disney World is the flagship resort, but Disneyland is the flagship park.
    Yeah, I agree.

ORDDU: As far as my sisters and I are concerned, Disneyland is the REAL 'Flagship' of Disney Theme parks--mostly because Walt Disney, himself, was the one to create it. So, saying that everyone knows that Walt Disney World is the Flagship is only a matter of opinion.

ORWEN: We fly back and forth to both parks but Disneyland is the most charming of the two--for us. We enjoy Walt Disney World for what it is, of course. But nothing will ever top Disneyland for us.

ORGOCH: Got frogs?
    Well, basically you're just stating you're own opinion. The fact that Walt Disney was to one to create it doesn't mean it is the actual flagship resort recognised by the Disney company. It's the flagship resort recognised by the Witches of Morva.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts recognises Walt Disney World as the flagship resort of all of them. Why? Has the most parks, but more importantly - makes the most money. :P

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

I wanted to chime in on the whole flagship thing. The way I've always seen it is that Walt Disney World is the flagship resort, but Disneyland is the flagship park.

Leave a comment:

• WDW1974
    replied

Well, as stated before Al's base of knowledge/expertise is DL. And he does a better job of 'covering' the resort than 'real' reporters with the LA Times and OC Register. His sources are a whole lot better too. And he doesn't have to worry about keeping the folks in TDA or Burbank happy because most of them wish he'd get eaten by a flock of wild buzzards.

I've heard Al is planning a visit to WDW, so maybe he can see both the really good (DAK ... and some of the recent Epcot upgrades) to the very bad ... the MK and the empty Disney-MGM Studios with the BAH in it.

But there are some positive changes on the horizon already ... and a decent amount of new things have been opened lately. Both Space and Jungle Cruise will be getting redos and a new E-Ticket is on the way for the MK (first since 1991 or did Splash open in '92? can't recall right now). The hotels are all being upgraded ... the Contemporary rooms really look amazing and high end. Poly and WL were also recently done (Swan and Dolphin too , although they aren't Disney owned). Boardwalk and All Star Sports and Music are next on the redo list.

Epcot will be getting even more attention as we inch closer to its 25th (see my other thread for details).

SO I am feeling some optimism about things ... the biggest problem is having someone heading the parks division in Jay Rasulo, who has no concept of the business he is running beyond spreadsheets and PowerPoint demos ... but I'm also sure he's losing his power ... and he may soon find himself either in another position with Disney or unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• DoppelV
    replied

ORDDU: As far as my sisters and I are concerned, Disneyland is the REAL 'Flagship' of Disney Theme parks--mostly because Walt Disney, himself, was the one to create it. So, saying that everyone knows that Walt Disney World is the Flagship is only a matter of opinion.

ORWEN: We fly back and forth to both parks but Disneyland is the most charming of the two--for us. We enjoy Walt Disney World for what it is, of course. But nothing will ever top Disneyland for us.

Hmmm, I don't know, I don't think it is just a matter of opinion. The US Navy would not name the oldest ship in the fleet as flagship, they would choose the one best suited to fight and the most prestigious. Disneyland is the nostalgic favorite, but in terms of numbers of visitors and expansion/development potential, WDW surpasses all of the other Disney properties. They have the land and the consumer base to continue to be Disney's most profitable property for a great long while.

Also, I think that if Walt had lived to see WDW, he would agree that it is the flagship property of the chain, Walt loved Disneyland, but it's clear to see that he had a lot of regrets about that particular property, for that reason above any other, he could have used WDW as his new playground, and created a whole new experience that unfortunately hasn't yet come to pass.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stimpy215
    replied

I still wanna go to DLR some day to see the difference ...i only know WDW ..love it to death but i wanna see the big difference on how the same rides like JC and HM are run

Leave a comment:

• Doopey1
    replied

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
    Al did report a while back that many managers from WDW recently visited DL and saw how much better things like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise were there and have decided to bring us up to par over the next few years. There's been a ton of rumors of refurbs a plenty for us over the next few years. We'll just have to wait and see if they come true.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember that report. I hope it's true because that would be great news.

Leave a comment:

• Doopey1
    replied

Speedway, That's a good point and I know not to expect anything overnight. It may take time to let the new management find their feet. And I also applaud the "little things" like keeping MK clean (which isn't really a little thing at all). I also recognize that we have rec'd a few new attractions at WDW like EE and Nemo and the Nemo show at DAK. But there's not a cohesive plan driving it.

What I'd really like to see is some declared long-term commitment to quality and vision -- "we will continue to build quality attractions at DAK and 'finish' that park, we will refurbish/upgrade/improve aging attractions like HM, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise and Star Tours, will will replace/reopoen WoL in a way that affirms Epcot's vision of blending education and entertainment. We will develop new, innovative attractions based on popular properties like Cars, Narnia, and Incredibles. We won't do all of these things in one year. But we are committed to doing them over the next several years so that WDW remains the premier family resort in the world."

That's what I want.

Leave a comment:

• Malin
    replied

Just like to add that while the line up of new attractions in recent years have been impressive there is other areas where the money should go.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X