• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a nice old video of Sea Base Alpha on YouTube

It was a nice walk down memory lane.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GY3Lni3vk...elated&search=

Re: Found a nice old video of Sea Base Alpha on YouTube

That was one of my least favorite pavillions. I'm glad they're re-doing it.

Comment

true, I enjoyed the video but the old sea cabs were quite boring after watching that. The Nemo overlay is going to make that ride 5 times better. I did enjoy the little bit with the diver going into the chamber however. I liked the general idea of what the pavilion was supposed to be, it's just that budget cuts neutered that pavilion of any fun. If you had seen the original design for that pavilion, you'll realize how much it was destroyed by budget cuts. It would have probably been the best pavilion in Epcot.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
        true, I enjoyed the video but the old sea cabs were quite boring after watching that. The Nemo overlay is going to make that ride 5 times better. I did enjoy the little bit with the diver going into the chamber however. I liked the general idea of what the pavilion was supposed to be, it's just that budget cuts neutered that pavilion of any fun. If you had seen the original design for that pavilion, you'll realize how much it was destroyed by budget cuts. It would have probably been the best pavilion in Epcot.
        I remember seeing those old plans for how the pavillion was supposed to be. It would been awesome if they would of let them go ahead with it. I have that old Epcot book by Richard Beard and it has the pictures and a discription of how the attraction was supposed to be with an animatronic Poseidon and everything!

Comment

I remember seeing those old plans for how the pavillion was supposed to be. It would been awesome if they would of let them go ahead with it. I have that old Epcot book by Richard Beard and it has the pictures and a discription of how the attraction was supposed to be with an animatronic Poseidon and everything!
          An animatronic Poseidon would be interesting. Now I wish they went through with that plan. That would have been awesome.

Comment

Seeing that video confirmed my belief that my memory isn't failing. The current condition of the water as of this last weekend is appalling! Instead of the clear aqua marine color that I remembered, it's now a brackish yellow/green. And you can't even see the windows on the far side. I'm guessing that most of this is due to the construction that they've been doing in the tank, and I'm hoping it'll revert back when the new attraction is complete. For right now, it's looking really bad!

Comment

Hey speaking of old videos on YouTube, this one - a commercial titled "There's More" from the early 1970s - is pure kitsch gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_e-F_sMtQ

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                Hey speaking of old videos on YouTube, this one - a commercial titled "There's More" from the early 1970s - is pure kitsch gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_e-F_sMtQ
                That's not a commercial, that's one musical number from the two hour long Television special for the Grand Opening of WDW in October, 1971. The special was on NBC, In Living Color, and Julie Andrews was the hostess for the program.

It also featured... Jonathan Winters doing a bizarrely sexist running sketch through the entire program about his exhausted wife and eight hyper kids... Bob Hope inaugurating the Contemporary Resort Hotel with PG-13 humor worthy of one of his USO shows. Hope says to the assembled lobby full of people as he glances up through the big atrium "Now we know where the Goodyear Blimp goes during mating season!" And that was only after he stepped out of a monorail with a pretty, 19 year old Tour Guide on each arm, gave them the once over and says "They didn't make Mousketeers like that in my day. Thank you girls, meet me later in Adventureland!".

The entire show is just a riot of Politically Incorrect one liners and humor. I'm not at all surprised that Disney hasn't released it on any of the Leonard Maltin DVD sets as there are many people in this overly uptight age who would recoil in horror at some of the things said during the 2 hour program. It would probably be more damaging to the Company reputation than re-releasing Song of the South.

But the show also has numerous song and dance numbers with Julie Andrews or Glen Campbell, a 1,076 member marching band that fills all of Main Street, a huge orchestra and choir led by Arthur Fiedler playing in front of a VIP audience dressed to the nines in front of the Castle (giant hairdos on the ladies the size of a Mini Cooper), plus some travelogue style infomercials on how they built WDW and what is to be found there. Bob Hope also does a rather touching tribute speech to Walt Disney on the beach at the Polynesian. The commercials during the show are just as hilarious as the dance numbers, as they were all made especially for the opening of WDW and featured some of the big park sponsors in '71; Eastern Air Lines, GAF Film, US Steel, etc. I forgot how truly bad or bizarre TV commercials were in the late 1960's and early 70's.

I have the program on a VHS tape, it's not very good quality, but my God is it hilarious!
                Last edited by TP2000; 10-06-2006, 08:06 PM.

Comment

hey look... US steel's contemporary...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtk-Wdk52J4

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X