This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bunch of Questions!!

Nothing like last minute planning! :lol: Any help would be appreciated!!

1. Is the FastPass return window when you HAVE to return or can you go back any time after the return time (like at DL?) What rides have them and are there 1 or two I should get first?

2. What rides are different than Disneyland's? Rides they both have, I mean. I found some info but i'm not sure all the rides were included.

3. Are there any good/great places/times to find characters? i hear that Robin Hood makes appreances - true?

4. I read on a Web site (not MC, for shame ) that you can wake Tink up in her store? What is that and where is her store?

5. If I want to park hop, will it take a long time to go bewtween parks? And like Epcot... 2 days? And MK 2 days, right? I'm sure used to the teeniness of DL that having such a HUGE place to play is freaking me out!! I want to do everything on my long list!!

Thank you Thank you!!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Re: A Bunch of Questions!!

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    1. Is the FastPass return window when you HAVE to return or can you go back any time after the return time (like at DL?) What rides have them and are there 1 or two I should get first?
    Go to www.disneyworld.com for complete listing of rides with FP. I have never tried to come back after my window has expired since I find that dishonest, but I am told most CMs will let you go thru to avoid disappointing you.

2. What rides are different than Disneyland's? Rides they both have, I mean. I found some info but i'm not sure all the rides were included.
    Again, check the official site for a list, however, the DL attractions that are also found at WDW are so much lesser in quality that you should go on them all so you can compare the differences. There are no rides at DL and the MK that are exactly duplicates... Similar? yes, but NOT the exact same. Go on everything you can.

3. Are there any good/great places/times to find characters? i hear that Robin Hood makes appreances - true?
    Could be. Check with Guest Relations for character times and meet and greet locations. Toontown Fair is the only place where you will find characters around the clock.

4. I read on a Web site (not MC, for shame ) that you can wake Tink up in her store? What is that and where is her store?
    I suppose you are taking about the gift shop next to Philharmagic, which I believe it's called Tink's Treasures? I do not know about waking Tink, but every minute or so, you see a trail of pixie dust fly thru the store's wall, simulating her flight.

5. If I want to park hop, will it take a long time to go bewtween parks? And like Epcot... 2 days? And MK 2 days, right? I'm sure used to the teeniness of DL that having such a HUGE place to play is freaking me out!! I want to do everything on my long list!!

Thank you Thank you!!!!
    Yes, WDW is way too big for it's own good. If you must park hopp.. the distance and time varies based on what park you are going to and from, and if you are using WDW's transportation monorails or busses. On average, it may take about 20 mins to go from the MK to EPCOT via monorails... assuming you are not stuck in traffic or waiting for clearance.
    Going from the MK to DAK may take as long as 35 mins depending on the time you have to wait connecting to busses to get there... etc etc etc. Walking time between EPCOT and MGM may take about 25 mins as well..assuming you walk steadily... Travel time by bus between DAK-MGM, DAK-Epcot,MGM-Epcot may take on average 10 mins. Again... it all depends on how long you have to wait for connections or traffic.

If you get there early, you can do most of any of the parks in one single day. But if you want to take it slow... dedicate 3 days for the MK and Epcot alone... (1 and a half day each). MGM and DAK can be done in one single day each.

Comment

Pirates is shorter with minor differences.
      Mansion is longer with different scenes.
      Splash is better IMHO
      IASW is too in that it seems more colorful to me.
      Space Mtn is VERY bumpy and jerky (sleds are like Matterhorn)
      BTMRR is longer and a bit better.
      The Fantasyland rides I dont think compare to DLands. They seem cheesier to me.

ToT is WAY better at MGM.

If I remember correctly it takes around 20 - 30 minutes to get from MK to Epcot and MGM. Not as long between Epcot and MGM since they are next to each other. Not sure about AK as it wasnt there the last time I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
        Actually, them two are about the same but WDW is a bit bigger scale... and I feel DL's is a better ride, with a better queue and much more exciting drops, like the Coyote tunnel, which was replaced at WDW with the lame flooded town scene. DL's also features a better earthquake scene, since most of the special effects in that one scene at WDW have been deleted almost completely... And DL's feels faster due to the tigher turns...

Not sure about AK as it wasnt there the last time I was there.
        GASP!! For shame!!! You skipped WDW's best park!!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
          Again, check the official site for a list, however, the DL attractions that are also found at WDW are so much lesser in quality that you should go on them all so you can compare the differences. There are no rides at DL and the MK that are exactly duplicates... Similar? yes, but NOT the exact same. Go on everything you can.
          I don't mean to be rude, really I don't but do you have to be so negative?
          I understand that we all have opinions and i just don't see why the negativity is always present

Comment

Pirates is shorter with minor differences.
            Mansion is longer with different scenes.
            Splash is better IMHO
            IASW is too in that it seems more colorful to me.
            Space Mtn is VERY bumpy and jerky (sleds are like Matterhorn)
            The Fantasyland rides I dont think compare to DLands. They seem cheesier to me.

If I remember correctly it takes around 20 - 30 minutes to get from MK to Epcot and MGM. Not as long between Epcot and MGM since they are next to each other. Not sure about AK as it wasnt there the last time I was there.

ToT is the number 1 ride I'm looking forward to!! Thanks for the info.

Go to www.disneyworld.com for complete listing of rides with FP. I have never tried to come back after my window has expired since I find that dishonest, but I am told most CMs will let you go thru to avoid disappointing you.

Well, at DL they (CMs or whatnot) say it's ok because you might get stuck in a ride or hit parade traffic or whatever... so it's better guest expirience. They don't care at all. But I'll def. try for the return window

I suppose you are taking about the gift shop next to Philharmagic, which I believe it's called Tink's Treasures? I do not know about waking Tink, but every minute or so, you see a trail of pixie dust fly thru the store's wall, simulating her flight.

Ooooh!! Thank you! I'll def. add this to my list

If you get there early, you can do most of any of the parks in one single day. But if you want to take it slow... dedicate 3 days for the MK and Epcot alone... (1 and a half day each). MGM and DAK can be done in one single day each.
            Ok, so 3 days for MK and Epcot is doable. I think I have 2 for MK and 2.5 for Epcot? Animal Kingdom will be 1/2 day... i'm not intersted in the rides or anything. MGM is def. a 1.5 day park for me.

Very cool, thanks for your help
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CowofDisney
              I don't mean to be rude, really I don't but do you have to be so negative?
              I understand that we all have opinions and i just don't see why the negativity is always present
              If you don't mean to be rude, then don't be. That is my opinion and you should respect it. You have a different opinion about WDW? then state it and I will respect it as well, even if I may not agree with your assesment. I never explained my actions to my mother and I am not going to start doing so with you.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                You're on the right track there TDLFAN, all you have to do is follow that trail of pixie dust from the big "window" (behind a pair of registers in the carpeted section of the store) along the ceiling through the store, which will then travel down a mirror on a dresser, to a drawer. Then all you have to do is take a look through the keyhole in that drawer. You can also ask any CM in Tinkerbell's Treasures to help you find Tinkerbell, and they'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

Comment

COOL!!! Thanks for that info!! I have learned something new tonight!! I will try it myself when I visit the MK later this week.

Originally posted by NeverNeverland
                  Animal Kingdom will be 1/2 day... i'm not intersted in the rides or anything.
                  That may be a shame.. since I feel DAK has some of the best rides on WDW. Everest is lots of fun, and so is the Kilimanjaro Safari and "Dinosaur". They also have some of the best shows on property, such as the LIon King's, and a cool parade in Jamming Jungle. I would dedicate it more than just half a day, besides, they close at 5pm on most days anyways...

Comment

We went back later than the window several times and it was no problem. At MK I would get Space and Splash first. At Epcot Soarin and Test Track first. For MGM Tower and Rock 'n Rollercoaster. At AK Everest, Kali and Safaris. In fact, I think these are the only rides Fastpasses were even necessary for and a couple of times we did standby.

You have enough time to go on just about everything so ride them all and decide for yourself which ones are better, worse or just different. It's kind of fun to look out for all the differences.

Not sure about 3 & 4, sorry.

Yes, park hopping is actually a bit of a pain. We only really did it twice. Once we went to MGM during the day then went back to the hotel and then went to MK for the Halloween party. Another day we spent the whole day at AK and then went to Epcot in the evening. I would say that you need to budget at least an hour (from gate to gate) to get from one park to another, sometimes more if it is really crowded. You might get lucky and it will take a lot less time, but don't count on it and then you won't get frustrated if it takes longer. Personally, if I were to go back, I probably wouldn't bother with parkhoppers.

I saw that you only budgeted a half day for Animal Kingdom. I know you said you weren't interested in the rides but some of them are rather good and the park itself is just gorgeous. Plus, AK already has a shorter operating day than other parks, usually 9-5. We actually spent nearly two full operating days there and only about a day and a half each at Epcot, MGM and MK. But YMMV.

Good luck and have a wonderful time! I am sure you will.

Comment

GASP!! For shame!!! You skipped WDW's best park!!
                      I said IT wasn't there, not -I- wasn't there, because it wasn't built! I haven't been in 10 years, next weeks Micechatter trip will be the first time I've been there since Nov. 1996!! But I'm looking forward to it, and all the other new stuff I have't seen.

Comment

I really don't want to steer this thread off course, but I just want to say that there really isn't any proof that WDW's is better than DCA's. At most, I feel they're on equal footing. Both have their pros and cons...

And you might want to take note that I was never all that impressed by the 5th dimension room, and always thought it felt disjointed. Wow...we're rolling through a pitch black room reminiscent of a basement or a pitch black shopping center. The mirror effect at DCA was much more impressive to me, but that's just my opinion.

Spoiler
                        I've yet to ride Tokyo DisneySea's Tower of Terror but reviews have been very positive!
                        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Attractions that both parks have with notable differences:

The Enchanted Tiki Room- it still is the Tiki room, but its Under New Management. I personally like it better. The star of the show is Iago, and also involves an angry volcano god.

Splash Mountain- more or less the same, the logs sit 2 across though for all that matters.

Haunted Mansion- the place actually looks like a mansion, and has the library scene included where the busts follow as your doom buggies go by. (this balances out the fact that no such event occurs in the queue unlike the DLR, so its a wash). I don't believe that the WDW version has acquired the DL 'enchancements' or the Floating Leota head and updated attic, so its a Mansion Classic ride.

Space Mountain- bobleds, no music- inferior ride. What you get is a huge show building where the queue (like most in WDW) is more entertaining than its Disneyland cousin.

POTC- we all know the situation there, but at least the Magic Kingdom version has a cool queue. I really do mean it.

Winnie the Pooh- quite a bit better in WDW. You hop along with Tigger, and its better placed in Fantasyland anyways.

Buzz- inferior in WDW. The scenes are somewhat cooler since sometimes your on an elevated track and there is stuff below you, but the fact that your gun is bolted down to your cruiser is a huge pain in the neck.

Star Tours- is at MGM-studios instead of the Magic Kingdom. 6 simulators vs. 4 simulators means an even quicker moving line if staffed properly. Gotta always admire the enhanced themeing with the Ewok village and AT-AT walker in the outside queue, and the speeder bike and forest in hte surrounding area plus the Tatooine traders.

Muppetvision 3D also fairs better at MGM due to the theming in the area.

ToT- Disneyland has the superior inner queue (the 2 story boiler room), MGM is better in every other way however.

Fantasmic!- DLs show is much better. MGMs is actually in an audittorium with a dedicated snackbar and bathrooms, and freaking SEATS that you don't have stake out for hours on end just to see the show. Additionally Skull Mountain is magnificent. Yes, the Pocahantas sequence is lame, and there is no Colombia or Twain yadda yadda yadda.

The Fantasyland rides all look awful from the outside since they have the simple pre-1983 carnival flat design but are otherwise the same.
                          The exception really being that IASW is flooded which is pretty cool, and Peter Pan's Flight is a bit higher capactiy so instead of the line moving the speed of a slow glacier, its a relatively quick moving line glacially speaking.

Hope it helps.
                          The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Neverland, I put this to the test this evening at 'Soarin' as I had a FP for that attraction that I had obtained from the machine several days ago and didn't get to use. The CM at 'Soarin' did take a good look at the ticket and basically took it away from me and told me... "this ticket is from the 4th, and can't be used! It's expired!" then confiscated it. I told him... "well! you people certainly have no problem letting others thru after their return time has expired and I know that for a fact!!" To which he answered. "No we don't!" I answered "yeah, right..." And turned around and left. So be careful. This may be an isolated case of a CM being a jerk, but be careful so you are not as embarrased as I was.

Comment

Nothing like last minute planning! :lol: Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you Thank you!!!!
                              The first question - The fastpass is good for two hours. You must use it between those two hours shown on the fastpass.

There is a new Character Connection in one of the Innoventions buildings in Epcot. Lots of characters. Use the Photo Pass Photographers and you can get lots of pictures, if you don't bring your own. If you do bring your own camera, ask the PhotoPass photographers to take a picture with your camera. They will do it.

In order to wake up Tinker Bell, at Magic Kingdom, you must be the first person to ask. Go immediately upon Park Opening to the Tinker Bell shop in Fantasyland, and ask. My grandson was able to do this. Sometimes they let more than one boy or girl do this. Don't know if there's an age limit.

Park hopping between Magic Kingdom and Epcot can take as little as 20 minutes or as long as double that or more. You must take the monorail to the TTC and change to the Epcot monorail.

Sometimes, you can take a bus between theme parks. I believe there are buses between Animal Kingdom, and Epcot and MGM. They just don't go to Magic Kingdom.

Usually a good plan for park hopping is to start your day at one park, take a rest at your hotel, and then change parks for the rest of the day.

Hope some of this helps.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Neverland, I put this to the test this evening at 'Soarin' as I had a FP for that attraction that I had obtained from the machine several days ago and didn't get to use. The CM at 'Soarin' did take a good look at the ticket and basically took it away from me and told me... "this ticket is from the 4th, and can't be used! It's expired!" then confiscated it. I told him... "well! you people certainly have no problem letting others thru after their return time has expired and I know that for a fact!!" To which he answered. "No we don't!" I answered "yeah, right..." And turned around and left. So be careful. This may be an isolated case of a CM being a jerk, but be careful so you are not as embarrased as I was.
                                I don't think anyone said that you could use a fastpass on a different day. I don't think that works at Disneyland either. Just later in the same day than the end of the window.

Comment

The CM at 'Soarin' did take a good look at the ticket and basically took it away from me and told me... "this ticket is from the 4th, and can't be used! It's expired!" then confiscated it. I told him... "well! you people certainly have no problem letting others thru after their return time has expired and I know that for a fact!!"
                                  Must be the same CM who examined the FPs carefully last saturday.... he did let people on who had them from that day.... just not from before that day...

the problem with fast pass, the ride might break down.. or something... there are many situations where they should be unnifically allowed through out the day, just not from before the day your there...

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                                    The first question - The fastpass is good for two hours. You must use it between those two hours shown on the fastpass.
                                    This is the official company line, but they absolutely don't stick to it. As long as you're in the same day, you could have a ticket that expired at 10am, and use it at 9pm with no problem. Personally I wish Disney would enforce the ending time, as it would prevent the bunching up of longer lines at FP return throughout the day. But I'm not going to hold myself to a standard that Disney is not in any way trying to enforce.

Comment

Well, here's a link to a semi-dated, semi-finished comparison. It might help: http://disneyfans.com/dlvstmk/index.shtml.

P.S.: Robin Hood is frequently found in the U.K. pavilion at Epcot.
                                      - Horizonsfan

Comment

Thank you Thank you!!!!

I"ll just answer this one as everyone else has tackled 1-4.

Park hopping - personally we don't waste our money anymore.

My wife and I got the hopper the first year we went together when we were just dating. It takes it toll when your there for 7-10 days and you're trying to hop around. The second time and every time after we saved the cost of upgrading our base tickets and just enjoyed the park we were in that day.

Since there aren't bus routes from park to park you will end up spending a lot of time in travel to go from AK to hotel to MK (for example).

If memory serves, we really only used the hopper the days we went to AK since it closed earlier then the other parks we would catch the fireworks at EPCOT or MK after dinner.

It's really up to you but for us - not worth the upgrade.
                                        Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
                                        We'll let you decided who types what

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X