This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the Real EPCOT

So I've often thought why hasn't anyone picked up Walt's real plan for EPCOT. I know still some things could be far feched such as a giant glass dome over a downtown shopping area that is built upon parrking garages over a freeway, but I think it should be looked at again. I would love to move into a experimental prototype community of tomorrow. The technology would probably be differnent than that of Walt's original plan, but EPCOT was supose to always be showcasing futuristic technology in it's city.

Does any one know if building an actual EPCOT is being looked at by anyone. Can anyone posts some links or information. Hey does anyone want to head this project up?

-Doc
    Yes, I should be commuting on the People Mover!
    36.36%
    No, a real EPCOT would not be possible then or now!
    63.64%
    Always follow your dreams...sigpic

Re: Building the Real EPCOT

That's what Celebration, FL is.

Comment

I think it would be cool to use some of the ideas Walt had for EPCOT in modern city planning. Don't know that it's practical to build EPCOT exactly the way he wanted, and don't know if anyone is looking into it at this time.

I would love to find a website, book, or other source, that has more detailed info on EPCOT than what's currently out there. Maybe some detailed architectural plans -if they exist- might be fun to look at.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a cool site that covers the history of EPCOT and has a video of Walt talking about it:
      http://www.waltopia.com/

The 24 minute video can also be found on Youtube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3p...elated&search=

Comment

Originally posted by captsmith84 View Post
        That's what Celebration, FL is.
        Celebration IS nice but why do I always think of the Stepford Wives when I see it? The Stepford Village.
        Originally posted by larasound
        am I the burrito man?

Comment

Well, Celebration is what Epcot was supposed to be only in the fact that it's a planned community. It was nothing even close to the scope of what Walt had in mind for Epcot, the city. From everything I've read, Celebration is nothing more than a high priced corporate controlled environment, where people pay to live on Disney property with very few other benefits. It's not exactly a failure, but it in no way comes up to the dream of the cutting edge, totally planned and controlled environment that was Epcot.

Comment

I agree with danyoung. I'm talking about the real EPCOT on a grand scope that Walt had in mind, not a town like CELEBRATION which isn't cutting edge at all, but a "country club" of the rich. He didn't buy all of that land for theme parks! EPCOT was for everyone to live in. They would have not only houses, but apartments as well, with everything showing the latest technology.

Seems like a great idea that will perhaps not come to reality for a great time to come. And with land becoming more scarce as populations swell, who knows where you could find so much land at a very cheap cost like Walt did with Florida?

Comment

The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet... and now here we are in the 21st century and the technology at the end of spaceship earth, is not future anymore... we are currently using it in everday life... Granted it was a cool idea back in 1982 when the park opened, but now... Come on... Same thing goes for Innoventions... I always assumed that was an area to try out all sorts of future technologies, and all its good for is to showcase some stuff that is right now, and not tomorrow.

I think Disney, instead of building a new themed land, they should take that budget and apply to a complete overhaul of Epcot. Redo everything... from spaceship earth to the world showcase.

I am sure its not feasible to do that, but still, I think that would be the best thing to do for that park...

Comment

Originally posted by Parisi View Post
                The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet... and now here we are in the 21st century and the technology at the end of spaceship earth, is not future anymore... we are currently using it in everday life... Granted it was a cool idea back in 1982 when the park opened, but now... Come on... Same thing goes for Innoventions... I always assumed that was an area to try out all sorts of future technologies, and all its good for is to showcase some stuff that is right now, and not tomorrow.

I think Disney, instead of building a new themed land, they should take that budget and apply to a complete overhaul of Epcot. Redo everything... from spaceship earth to the world showcase.

I am sure its not feasible to do that, but still, I think that would be the best thing to do for that park...
                This is about EPCOT, the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, not the park EPCOT Center/Epcot.

I think one question needs to be asked. Would you want to live in Innoventions? That is what EPCOT would probably be like.

Comment

The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet...
                  This thread isn't about Epcot the theme park. It is about Walt's plan for EPCOT the city. Walt wanted to build the city of tomorrow, with futuristic transportation, urban living, modern business systems, and civic spaces.
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                  Save

Comment

From Wikipedia, there are a few recent city building efforts (the most notable
                    being Brazilia and the technopolis in Japan and the Malaysia media corridor, )
                    but IMHO, nothing in the scale that EPCOT would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                      . . .
                      I think one question needs to be asked. Would you want to live in Innoventions? That is what EPCOT would probably be like.
                      Actually, if one believes the plans, it would have had a lot of the feel/style
                      of Innoventions, but a lot of differences (such as a green belt) as well.
                      IMHO, it would have been very interesting to see how the design would
                      have born out with the changes in technology.

Comment

Because America's industries were much stronger when Walt was alive and labor costs weren't as high due to a number of factors.

I suspect Old EPCOT was Walt's attempt to try and take his relationship with corporations to the next level. He had already expanded Disneyland significantly in the 60s with attractions built on another company's money (IASW, Abe, CoP, and Peoplemover sort of too.) But in these attractions he was basically building something to help promote companies at the World's Fair, and here he was trying to work the other way around and energize industries to build something of his own design. There was no way the company could build a domed city on it's own resources. Walt was depending on American steel, construction, and other industries proudly wanting to have their name attatched to something so outlandish as well.

These days, companies don't take pride in anything other than their stock price, so there's no way the kind of sacrifices EPCOT would have required could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                          This thread isn't about Epcot the theme park. It is about Walt's plan for EPCOT the city. Walt wanted to build the city of tomorrow, with futuristic transportation, urban living, modern business systems, and civic spaces.
                          Ooops Sorry... I misread the topic...

I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL epcot, but is it even feasible? I mean didnt walt have an idea of a shopping area with a glass dome? It might be hard to construct a dome that big... I mean hell if it could be done, think of what it might do for other locations in the US... What if a company wants to build a year round theme park in NYC, but because of harsh winters they cant. If the real epcot could be done with the glass dome, it might give the people in NYC or other colder climate areas a chance...

I would applaud any attempt for them to build a real epcot, I just hope it doesnt come off as a cheap looking biosphere

Comment

I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL epcot, but is it even feasible..
                            To be honest, I don't think even Walt could have built what Walt wanted, with 20,000 residents and all of the problems of a major city. It was a great design and an incredible dream, but I doubt that he could have found enough people that were that willing to be a controlled element of a large machine.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                              To be honest, I don't think even Walt could have built what Walt wanted, with 20,000 residents and all of the problems of a major city. It was a great design and an incredible dream, but I doubt that he could have found enough people that were that willing to be a controlled element of a large machine.
                              You must be the guy who wrote "stick to shorts."

Everyone, if you've never seen this, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Walt was trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3pKsrcc8

I wonder if there is anyone out there who will ever match Walt for his dedication to improving quality of life for all people

Comment

Originally posted by Pacha View Post

Don't know if this helps, but here's a cool site that covers the history of EPCOT and has a video of Walt talking about it:
                                http://www.waltopia.com/

Damn, you beat me to it!

Comment

Thanks for the link to the video. My father has a copy of it and I've watched it in the past.

Looking at the video again reminds me of how expensive the whole project would be. However, when I start to doubt the idea I remind myself that many people doubted Walt Disney's ideas when he was alive due to them being expensive or different. Contrary to what many of them believed, Walt's ideas became succesful.

I wonder if Walt would have lived what would have become with the Florida project. Too bad he was a chain smoker, otherwise he could have very well lived into the eighties!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
                                    You must be the guy who wrote "stick to shorts."
                                    Not in the slightest. Sorry, I don't have time to watch the video now, although I suspect it's the same one as is on the dvd set in the silver box that I've had for a couple years now. I was all for the concept of Walt stretching himself and trying new things. And I was also all for the original Epcot concept, and was saddened when it was co-opted by a theme park (although I've come to love Epcot, the park). I just don't think Walt would have been able to impose his will over the 20,000 residents like he imposed his will over his employees. Don't kid yourself - kindly old Uncle Walt ruled his empire with an iron hand. In business that's called a good leader. In life it's called a dictator. And I just don't see that working out too well.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                                      Don't kid yourself - kindly old Uncle Walt ruled his empire with an iron hand. In business that's called a good leader. In life it's called a dictator. And I just don't see that working out too well.
                                      I agree with that on some level. I don't know how much freedom would have been taken away if one lived in EPCOT. Was it an experient that needed to be controlled or a demonstration of the newest technology? Perhaps a little of both.

In specualtion, what would be required of a citizen of EPCOT?

1) First I assume one would be requred to sign several contracts such as a code of conduct that would allow EPCOT to kick anyone out at any time due to the breaking of it.

2) One might be requried, at least highly encouraged, to work at either the theme park, industrial park, airport, or other EPCOT lines of work. However, due to roads leading out of EPCOT, one would probably be allowed to work off of the property.

3) The houses/apartments would never be the property of the person or family inhabiting them. This is due to the constant change to be done to them as technology advances.

4) An individual may be required to sign away certain American rights such as unreasonable search and seizures. I add this one because when I was on the Disney College Program, we signed a code of conduct which included this line so our apartments and vehicles could be checked for anything breaking the code of conduct.

This is all speculation of course.

(By the way I worked at EPCOT, or should I call it Epcot as it is not an acronym anymore.)

Comment

Originally posted by DocPaddock View Post
                                        I agree with that on some level. I don't know how much freedom would have been taken away if one lived in EPCOT. Was it an experient that needed to be controlled or a demonstration of the newest technology? Perhaps a little of both.

In specualtion, what would be required of a citizen of EPCOT?

1) First I assume one would be requred to sign several contracts such as a code of conduct that would allow EPCOT to kick anyone out at any time due to the breaking of it.

2) One might be requried, at least highly encouraged, to work at either the theme park, industrial park, airport, or other EPCOT lines of work. However, due to roads leading out of EPCOT, one would probably be allowed to work off of the property.

3) The houses/apartments would never be the property of the person or family inhabiting them. This is due to the constant change to be done to them as technology advances.

4) An individual may be required to sign away certain American rights such as unreasonable search and seizures. I add this one because when I was on the Disney College Program, we signed a code of conduct which included this line so our apartments and vehicles could be checked for anything breaking the code of conduct.

This is all speculation of course.

(By the way I worked at EPCOT, or should I call it Epcot as it is not an acronym anymore.)
                                        Why are your four points speculation? If you watch the "EPCOT Video" Walt says exactly what he wants. He pretty much states what you speculate.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X