X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carribean Resort

Has anyone stayed here?
    I did this resort selection test http://hotels.about.com/cs/disneywor...lwiz_wdw01.htm and it came up with this hotel.

This one time on Friends . . .:roll:

Re: Carribean Resort

that where the mice chatters are staying right now. I have stayed there a couple of times. large resort but nice rooms. it was the first moderate level resort built but was refurbed after 9/11. am staying there this weekend.

Comment

I stayed there in August of 03. I LOVED it. I thought the grounds were gorgeous, the cm's were wonderful there and our room was nice. I would stay there again.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I had mixed feelings about it. As a resort it was really nice, very nice grounds, and the rooms seemed to be clean as far as I was concerned. Staff wise, some gave you that great Diseny vibe, and others just didn't. But at the same time you could probobly say that about other resorts and such.

I thought it was a nice resort, and I don't regret staying there

Comment

Stayed there back in 1999 and thought it was nice. Big place. Lotta walking. Friendly CM's. Decent food. Wasn't the kind of place that made me say, "OH WOW! I have to get back here again some day!"

I guess it wasn't overwhelming, wasn't underwhelming...just "whelming", I guess.

Comment

Stayed there once over thanksgiving right after 9/11 when prices where deeply discounted. My family was rather disaponted but could be because we are used to the Magic Kingdom resorts. From Memeory the resort really diddn't have a table service restarant, its basically a food court with a section roped off for table service with the same menu as the counter service when we where there. A lot of walking to get to your room from bus station, or to the food courts, we usually had to walk around the lake or over the island. The bus service about the same as value resorts (poor) and you have to walk through the parking lot to get to your room. (Which makes it hotter than Vegas in July) Rooms are on the small side and if you requested anything from the front desk like luggage service or a hair dryer it takes at least an hour. We where not impressed, but again we have been spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts so tke it with a grain of salt.
            Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
              ..it was the first moderate level resort built but was refurbed after 9/11.
              I don't mean to be overly picky, but this seems to be kind of an odd statement. Did 9/11 have anything to do with Disney's refurb schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                I don't mean to be overly picky, but this seems to be kind of an odd statement. Did 9/11 have anything to do with Disney's refurb schedule?
                It seemed to, Port Orlenes was just closed, not refurbed per se but closed and folks re-routed to other resorts. 9/11 hurt Disney a bit, they made up for it by offering too good to pass up packages and the locals came out in force that thanksgiving since there where fewer tourist to trip over, as I recall they had record attendance on the holiday weekend but the resorts in park where underbooked so most had to be locals or people staying off property or with local friends.

I also recallreading in the Orlando Sentinel at the time ( I browse it for disney news) about the lack to tourists, and what we now just accept as normal maintence cut backs, I believe the big gripe was about the bubbles inthe muppets only working on half the theter and it was decided not to fix right away like they normally do due to the budget cuts. Same thinking we are still dealing with today even though the tourist rates are back up.
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                  From Memeory the resort really diddn't have a table service restarant, its basically a food court with a section roped off for table service with the same menu as the counter service when we where there.
                  Maybe there was some sort of refurbishment going on there, as well, because what you described is not how CBR usually is, not when I was there in 1990 and not when I was there again in May 2005. In addition to the large food court, there is also Shutters, a true table service restaurant that is totally independent from the food court. It has walls and everything! It has a real, table-service menu, also, and does not serve any of the same foods as the food court. You can check out restaurant menus from ANY Walt Disney World restaurant at any resort or park by going to http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                  A lot of walking to get to your room from bus station, or to the food courts, we usually had to walk around the lake or over the island.
                  If that's the case, then you didn't learn as much about the reosrt as you should have. CBR has 6 villages. Each village has its own bus stop. No one in ANY room at CBR has to walk far to a bus stop, since each village has one. There is also a bus stop at Old Port Royale, the food court/table-service restaurant/main pool/shops/outdoor bar/water sports rental complex.
                  Originally posted by jerren View Post
                  The bus service about the same as value resorts (poor) and you have to walk through the parking lot to get to your room. (Which makes it hotter than Vegas in July)
                  Since you only stay at MK-area resorts, which are all Deluxe resorts, how would you know how good or bad the Value resorts' buses are?
                  Rooms are on the small side
                  Again, perhaps as compared with much pricier Deluxe resorts. In fact, CBR's rooms are the LARGEST of all the Moderates. ALL the other Moderates' (CSR, POFQ, POR) rooms are 314 square feet. CBR's rooms are 340 square feet.
                  We where not impressed, but again we have been spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts so tke it with a grain of salt.
                  Fair enough! :wave:

Comment

I stayed there in '03 and had a wonderful stay. The rooms were a decent size and comfy. The grounds were really beautifully landscaped and the bus stop was practically right outside our front door. Our room was a bit far from the food court, but that was no hardship since we enjoyed the scenic walk through the grounds.

The staff was very accomodating - my aunt was meeting my mom and I midway through our trip so I asked the front desk if we could get a rolling bed (we ended up with a king bed instead of two doubles) or if we could move rooms. They gave us the rolling bed free of charge even though technically, they should have charged us for the additional person.

I have never stayed at one of the deluxe resorts so can't compare it there, but I have stayed at one of the value resorts (All-Star Music, if I remember correctly) and think the add'l $$ was well spent.
                    She did it!

Comment

Its my favorite moderate resort.
                      www.jamboeveryone.com
                      Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

This was the first hotel I took my then g/f now wife to back in Jan 2002 (not long after 9/11) It's actually where I proposed to her

We had a wonderful time. We thought the service was excellent and the food on site was really good too.

never waited very long for a bus to where ever we were going and never walked far to get to our room (we've stayed at value resorts too and never had a problem walking from the buses)

quasimodo1384I had mixed feelings about it. As a resort it was really nice, very nice grounds, and the rooms seemed to be clean as far as I was concerned. Staff wise, some gave you that great Diseny vibe, and others just didn't. But at the same time you could probobly say that about other resorts and such.

I thought it was a nice resort, and I don't regret staying there

I think you get that at any of the resorts (hell any business period) - we had some great services at the value resorts and some not very good - we've had dinners at the deluxe hotels and had wonderful service and some cm who couldn't even fake a smile - i wouldn't say it's the cost of the resort that dictates the caliber of service its the staff.

Originally Posted by Jerren
                        From Memeory the resort really diddn't have a table service restarant, its basically a food court with a section roped off for table service with the same menu as the counter service when we where there.

the resort does (and did as far back as 2000 and prob farther) have table service - the restaurant is called Shutters and is (at least was in 2002) wonderful.

Here's the recent menu from Shutters (when we went they had a wonderful fresh green salad my wife loved and fresh tuna my cousin had - neither seem to be on the menu now)

Starters
                        Coconut Shrimp served with a Ginger-Papaya Sauce $9.99

Caesar Salad with shaved pecorino Romano Cheese $5.49

Crispy Chicken Wings marinated in a spicy sauce with blue cheese dressing $7.99

Baked Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese $5.49

Mixed greens salad with grape tomatoes, blue cheese, sun-dried cherries, and toasted walnuts tossed in our house dressing $5.49
                        Entrees
                        Char-grlled 10 oz. Prime Marinated Top Sirloin Steak with Shutters' potatoes and beer-battered onion rings $21.99

Smoked Prime Rib with Shutters' Potatoes 8 oz. $19.99; 12 oz. $21.99

Grilled Salmon on tossed arugula, vine-ripened tomatoes, applewood smoked bacon, garlic aioli, and grilled sourdough bread $16.99

Herb-roasted Chicken with shutters' potatoes $15.99

Penne Pasta with Shrimp, artichokes, spinach, olives, roasted garlic, shallots and sun-dried tomatoes $16.99; also available with chicken $15.99; as a vegetarian entree $13.49

Pot Roast served with roasted root vegetables, southern greens and Shutters' potatoes $17.49
                        Sides
                        Beer-battered onion rings $3.49

Grilled seasonal vegetables $2.79

Shutters' potatoes (like scalloped potatoes) $3.49

Baked Potato $2.79
                        Desserts
                        Chocolate Cake with raspberry sauce $5.99

Cheesecake with seasonal berries $5.49

Key lime tart with meringue $5.49

Baked apples and sundried cherries served in a crispy phyllo blossom with cider syrup and sweet mascarpone $5.49
                        Beverages
                        Sodas, Coffee and Teas $2.19

Cappuccino $3.49

Bottled Water $3.25

Espresso $2.99
                        Beers from the Islands $4.25
                        Red Stripe, Kalik, Carib

Wines by the bottle or glass
                        Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
                        We'll let you decided who types what

Comment

Jerren's memory is correct. The restaurant in CBR (the name escapes me) used to be just a roped off area from the food court, and did indeed use the same kitchen as the food court. Many complaints about this led them to remodel (in the late 90's as I remember) and put in the real restaurant and its dedicated kitchen.

Comment

I stayed at CBR in March and loved it! Walking across the lake at night was very nice, loved the pool area, and really loved the food! I'm fairly easy to please though when it comes to Disney though :P

Comment

Originally posted by ieffectfor_disney View Post
                              I stayed at CBR in March and loved it! Walking across the lake at night was very nice, loved the pool area, and really loved the food! I'm fairly easy to please though when it comes to Disney though :P
                              What the...? You can walk on water??!!

Comment

i've got powers, okay...

Comment

Hey... I'm a MCer who just stayed at this hotel... I liked it. We were near the bus stop, which was handy. The food court was a long walk away when you were in a hurry, and should have been open 24 hours but the food was GREAT! The burger and fries... delicious and fairly priced for what is. It was a very pretty walk, though, the landscaping and the beaches were great.

There is the resort bus and the hit or miss park busses (40 minute waits at times....) but most of the drivers were friendly and would wait if you flagged them down.

The room was smallish, the beds crazy creaky, but it was a nice room. There's a curtain between the room and the bathroom, which was handy for a clothes change or to have light when your roommates are still sleeping When we called for extra towels and such they came w/i a reasonable amount of time. And the staff was all very nice from the front desk agents and concierge to the Ali the luggage guy to the lady who opened the room after my key didn't work.

And having a Mickey Mouse cartoon channel was great! I reccomend this hotel
                                  Good morning, son
                                  In twenty years from now
                                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                  It was pain
                                  Sunny days and rain
                                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort in February. It was a decent price (for a WDW resort) and close to Epcot, which is my favorite park. I liked how quiet it was. Walks around the lake in the morning or early evening were awesome. They also play "Day-O" on the loudspeakers outside at dawn (don't ask me what I was doing up that early lol).
                                    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X