Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Can you make a living working for Disney?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can you make a living working for Disney?

With an office full of canadian citizens in my office.. they would tell you different.

Basically the story is.. need critical care? You're perfect. Need routine care.. its miserable.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I think this thread has gotten a weeee bit off topic no?

Comment

Originally posted by savanasue View Post
        If you want to work for Disney, go to college and earn a degree, then you will be albe to qualify for a decent paying job.
        Totally different situation, I know. I'm near HKDL and would have loved to work there. I've 2 BA's, an Mphil, and am working on a MA. What was the wage they offered me to teach in their out reach program? US$8.70. An insult to my educational level, not to mention experience (13 years of teaching in HK alone). But for the locals, it's a decent wage. If the difference between my normal wage and Diseny weren't so high (over US$40 an hour difference) I might have done it. Instead, I went to Disney with my child and SPENT money. Maybe this summer I'll do it just for the fun of it.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          With an office full of canadian citizens in my office.. they would tell you different.

Basically the story is.. need critical care? You're perfect. Need routine care.. its miserable.
          Well, my Canadian contacts tell me a different story than yours. They tell that there is no significant difference in waiting periods for routine care in Canada vs. the USA.

A couple of years ago I had a bleeding mole. My primary care giver (AKA gatekeeper) referred me to a dermatologist, who wanted to schedule me out 6+ weeks. I had to make a stink (after all, it could have been melanoma) to get in earlier, and even then I had to wait 2 weeks (and no, it wasn't melanoma).

My point is that with HMO's we are already receiving a national health level of quality, but we are paying through the nose for it. We spend far more per capita than anyone else and we still have 10's of millions of uninsured and underinsured people. The money wasted on insurance overhead alone could pay for the care for millions of people. I don't appreciate paying 2-3X more than everyone else for prescriptions either.

Anyway, if healthcare cost increases continue to handily exceed inflation and wage growth we will find ourselves eventually painted into a corner. Eventually the numbers of uninsured people will get high enough to force us into a national health system.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsmom View Post
            But for the locals, it's a decent wage. If the difference between my normal wage and Diseny weren't so high (over US$40 an hour difference) I might have done it.
            So is $9/hr a typical teaching wage in HK? Or is it closer to $40?

Comment

I wonder how much the Managers in WDW make? They are salary right?

Comment

Originally posted by fkurucz View Post
                So is $9/hr a typical teaching wage in HK? Or is it closer to $40?
                Depends on your educational level and experience. Kindergarten teachers don't need a degree yet, so $9 is a good wage. Most of them make less than $1300 a month. Primary starts at $2300 a month, and secondary goes up to as high as $4600 a month (degree requirements have only come into effect since 2000, so there are still teachers out there without the qualifications we would need back in the states). Average wage for an English Language teacher here is about $50 an hour. And yes, we are required to have not only a degree, but also post grad qualifications as well. Of course, the wages all depend on qualifications and experience. Disney just pays HK$68 an hour starting regardless of what you've done in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsmom View Post
                  Depends on your educational level and experience. Kindergarten teachers don't need a degree yet, so $9 is a good wage. Most of them make less than $1300 a month. Primary starts at $2300 a month, and secondary goes up to as high as $4600 a month (degree requirements have only come into effect since 2000, so there are still teachers out there without the qualifications we would need back in the states). Average wage for an English Language teacher here is about $50 an hour. And yes, we are required to have not only a degree, but also post grad qualifications as well. Of course, the wages all depend on qualifications and experience. Disney just pays HK$68 an hour starting regardless of what you've done in the past.
                  Very interesting. My wife is a teacher and she read this.She teaches here in Indianapolis.
                  I do have to say though I have heard stories like yours with lots of Education and offered low starting salaries.On the other side of the coin I have heard and seen the opposite as well. My freind (going on about 17 years) has MBA and MGT experience with a large Consumer Products company(Im sure you use their products daily as do must of us) and he got into a midlevel salaried position with Disney Consumer Products in Glendale,Ca. I cant disclose what he makes even though I know and its pretty darn good.

Comment

My wife and I want to work in Entertainment at WDW. 2 of us, 1 apartment, we have good cars. How would we fair?

We have been wanting to do this for quite some time. The day we arrived at Orlando Airport we checked in at the Disney's Magical Express and were scouted by a Disney Scout for Character Casting or something like that. He was explaining to us to see Disney Casting and could have us working the next day. Really got us excited. What should I expect.

Comment

How is Disney in comparison to the rest of corporate American for the salaried positions? My husband is a computer geek with a mountain of experience, there are plenty of offerings on disney careers website that he qualifies for, but all the info we can find is on the entry level jobs. Where can I find more info about salaried jobs at Disney--well, more info than in the job listing. heh heh. ;-)

The jobs he is looking at are in various areas: Celebration, Lake Buena Vista, Kissimmee, CA, Seattle, Bristol. We are looking into the FL offerings but were wondering what the difference was in the FL locations. I realize they are all close to one another.

Comment

My ex-wife and I both worked at WDW for seven years and made it work. We weren't exactly rich doing it, but we were able to live well enough.

As for salaried positions, when I was there it was always better to actually be working at Disney and applying for those positions than to apply from the outside. They love to hire people from within the company. Just keep in mind that people with degrees, and other professional experience are a dime a dozen at WDW. I had hoped to get into PR/Marketing after a few years of working in the parks and after interviewing for possible transfers twice, I was told I would be better off leaving the company, working for a PR/Marketing firm for 10-15 years, then coming back in the parks again and rolling the dice on a transfer. People with experience in many of the areas required for salaried positions are very common. Another supervisor told me that it probably would help if I was sleeping with or related to the person making the hiring decision.

It's not impossible, but just keep in mind that there are a lot of people with a lot of experience and skills already working at the parks. Sometimes it seems like working at Disney is a career for nearly everybody there. Best chance is to get a job as an hourly CM and just do your best to keep an eye on internal positions that come open. Keeping up or increasing your skills in the areas you're interested in won't hurt either.
                        Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Comment

Oh sure, I know the pay may be less than ideal, but I know people in their late 20s who can make about $500 a week at a summer camp, and thats enough for them. There are also people I know who make around $15.00 an hour, working as head lifeguards at some local pools, and they make enough to support at least themselves and their spouse. A basic CM position (attractions or food service) may not be enough, but if your doing customer support you'll be fine.
                          SS_Columbia192
                          I am the sailing instructarr. And on movie nights, I run the projectarr. Only PG. Nothing arr.
                          - The Sea Captain

Comment

Originally posted by SorcererMickey View Post
                            I did it for 6 years although with my job I usually worked 50 hours a week. When it came to the Christmas season, it was common to do several 18 - 20 hour days a week. During the rest of the year, however, I was able to manage. If you can hang on with picking up extra shifts while you can, the 3 year FT mark brings a good sized raise (not to mention 35% off). I also was able to buy a 2bed 2bath condo across from Universal Studios by myself.

I would have to say go for it!! Nothing beats working for Disney. Even if you find you can't manage with the lower pay scale, you'll still have the memories for a lifetime!!!
                            How long did it take you to make all of that for the condo?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcoaster View Post
                              Best chance is to get a job as an hourly CM and just do your best to keep an eye on internal positions that come open. Keeping up or increasing your skills in the areas you're interested in won't hurt either.
                              I think I just spit my coffee on my computer screen laughing! ROFL!

I can't imagine telling my dh to leave his $100K+ job to be a CM just to get a job there. He'd think I was smoking something.

He's got the skills, experience (15-20years worth), knowledge and resume to back up his job, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the salaried employees get for perks (I'm guessing the higher up the ladder gets better perks?) And what the work environment at that level is like. Even though some places pay well, it isn't always worth it if you never see your family or are super stressed out. And wondering if Disney pays in the same range as the rest of corporate America or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
                                one thing to remember for all out of state people. Florida has no income tax. so that means you bring home a bit more in your paychecks .that's one reason the salaries are lower
                                Thank you for that important bit of info that an "out-of-towner" may not know!

I am also seriously thinking of "making the move" down to work for The Mouse. It has been a longstanding dream of mine, and ONE of these days i am going to take the leap. Finding housing seems to be the one last hurdle i have not yet been able to jump over. Everything else is fine...but the whole crazy "all apartments seeming to go condo" scare has me concerned that when i DO move down, i will fall into that trap.

Any tips? Any good places to live that are affordable ( on a WDW salary) close by with Lynx public transport easily excessable?

Advance thanks!

Comment

I want to work for Disney as a purchasing manager in the Disney Consumer Products Division after I graduate, I certainly hope that I can make a living working for Disney.
                                  I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Comment

When I worked there (86-96) I could not have made it without credit cards. You can get by, in my opinion....but it is not a glamorous lifestyle when you are off the clock. I just was/am wacky for Disney and that got me through a teriffic 10 years. My credit card debt is long gone, but I still have incredible memories! I did a lot of really cool stuf and it seldom felt like work to me (in retrospect).

Comment

Working...
                                    X