Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you make a living working for Disney?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make a living working for Disney?

I've been thinking of working for WDW, possibly in a customer service position.

Is a living even possible working for Disney? I know the wages are low...

Anyone trying to do this?

Re: Can you make a living working for Disney?

Michael Eisner did - with gazillion dollar bonuses - who couldn't?

Comment

I believe starting wages at WDW are something like $6.70. The cost of living in florida is lower so they feel justified in it apparently :P

Comment

Making a living at Disney, well there are over 50,000 people working there so I guess some people are. I am.

I moved to Orlando a few years agoi because I wanted to work at Disney. I knew the pay was low and started below the $7 mark. I am happy doing the job I do, and yes I wish I made more money than what I do now. But I have worked at other jobs that paid more and was not happy doing so, At Disney I am very happy.

It's not always the $$ you see on the paycheck either, the benefits of working at Disney are really realy good. They hav good insurance benefits and stuff, credit union, pension plan, employee discounts, free admissions etc.

Another thing about Disney which is good and I have not experienced anywhere else is that when you work over 8 hours a day you get paid overtime, you don't have to get to 40 hours first. In other words if I am scheduled to work 4 8 hour days and for some reason the fifth day is only 4, and on one of the 8 hour days end up working 10 hours, those last two hours are paid at time and a half. Doesn't matter that I am only scheduled 36 hours. Now if I call in sick one of those other days, then the pay reverts to straight time.

I have also found that Disney does a lot of promoting from within, therefore the opportunities are there for you to advance if you want to. Extra Hours Hotlines allow you to pick up shifts in other areas if you want to make some extra $$ as well.

I made the switch to Disney a few years ago and do not regret it.

Comment

I did it for 6 years although with my job I usually worked 50 hours a week. When it came to the Christmas season, it was common to do several 18 - 20 hour days a week. During the rest of the year, however, I was able to manage. If you can hang on with picking up extra shifts while you can, the 3 year FT mark brings a good sized raise (not to mention 35% off). I also was able to buy a 2bed 2bath condo across from Universal Studios by myself.

I would have to say go for it!! Nothing beats working for Disney. Even if you find you can't manage with the lower pay scale, you'll still have the memories for a lifetime!!!

Comment

one thing to remember for all out of state people. Florida has no income tax. so that means you bring home a bit more in your paychecks .that's one reason the salaries are lower

Comment

Don't just look at any hourly wage. You need to look at the whole package of compensation. When I worked at DL part time I only paid a few $$ each paycheck for full benefits. Once I left Disney and wen tot work for another large company I paid about 15 times more for about the same coverage. When I consider what I made per hour it plus benefits it was very good espically since it was an unskilled labor position.

Comment

I made a very good living on my wages as a FT CM. I worked alot of hours, but even when I did not pick up OT I still had decent paychecks. The unions specify the paygades for different jobs and Attractions are the lowest in the parks. Resorts Guest service is a step up. Horitculture is one of the hardest areas to get into as you pretty much have to have a degree just like the animal care teams.

Comment

it depends. it depends on how many hours you want to work and how much spending you do outside of work on social activities, luxury items, car payments etc. Can you afford rent and basic food on 40 hrs...absolutely. Can you afford anyhting else...well like i said, it depends.

Comment

Just an FYI, WDW's lowest starting salary is currently $7 an hour. (Not including the CP, which is lower I believe.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
                      one thing to remember for all out of state people. Florida has no income tax. so that means you bring home a bit more in your paychecks .that's one reason the salaries are lower
                      No income tax? That's so sweet! Now I am being tempted....
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by captsmith84 View Post
                        Just an FYI, WDW's lowest starting salary is currently $7 an hour. (Not including the CP, which is lower I believe.)
                        Which was $6.40 (+ $0.50/hr for QSF&B) but will go up soon if it hasn't already.

Comment

The thing that stinks about it is for someone like me, i'd love to go work there for a while but I can't because I wouldn't be able to save up anything. And even if I did when i move back to LA it'd be worth next to nothing here. If you live there and don't plan on leaving, it's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                            No income tax? That's so sweet! Now I am being tempted....
                            it's written into the state constitution. No state income tax and no state estate tax. that was because at the time florida was more of a retirement state. of course it still is but now there are many many more families. oh and yoyo We need teachers really bad in this state. of course we don't pay what they do up north which is why we really need them. but then you can supliment your income by working seasonal at disney . Seriously i have met several teachers in the orange county district that do just that. anyway minimum wage is set to go up to I believe around 6.75 per hour in january if I remember right. and I am happy to hear that disney finally got off its but and raised it starting salaries. Sea world and universal have been 7.00 + for several months now. and as was stated before that is for the attractions and I believe merchandising levels. not sure about transportation, but I do know food service people make more.

Comment

I really wish I had taken a year and done it while I was trying to figure out what to do in college, but I didn't. Now I'm in the work force with a family, so unless I win the lottery I won't be doing it ever. If I ever win the lotto and can just do whatever I want with my life, then I'll probably move down and do it for a while just for the experience.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X