Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Planned Maintenance

Our host has advised us that there will be an outage today (12/11/17) around 6PM PST. It should last no more than one hour.
2 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Kilmanjaro Safaris

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kilmanjaro Safaris

    I read on Mouseplanet's WDW update that Kilmanjaro Safaris will be rennovating the next couple months. No dates were given and nothing said about when/if this attraction will close. Does anybody have more specific info? My family and I will be in WDW Jan 23-30 and I'd like to know what to expect, as this is one of my son's favorite rides.

  • #2
    Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

    Originally posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    I read on Mouseplanet's WDW update that Kilmanjaro Safaris will be rennovating the next couple months. No dates were given and nothing said about when/if this attraction will close. Does anybody have more specific info? My family and I will be in WDW Jan 23-30 and I'd like to know what to expect, as this is one of my son's favorite rides.
    From what I gathered from that article, they'll be doing it on a stage by stage basis, rotating the vehicles out one or a few at a time to add another row of seating in the back. They also mentioned some changes to the ride itself--something about a poaching section being taken out? I don't know I've never ridden it--but it didn't sound like it would be down full time.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    ________________________________________
    Disney/theme park Park Trips:
    Disneyland Anaheim: 1983, 1987, 1994, 2002, 2007, 2011, 2012
    Walt Disney World: 1997, 2007, 2010
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

      Well, if the poaching section is taken out, then there goes the entire story. They must have something better planned.
      sigpic


      Originally posted by Phonedave
      Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

        When the ride originally opened, the poaching storyline was better executed, with the runaway jeep and the live actor CM who pretended to apprehend the poachers.. Both of those show elements are no longer in place, or at least, I have not seem them performed in over 2-3 yrs. So, yes... they can take the poachers storyline out for good and replace it with something that highlights the animals and other sights thru the ride.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

          I would be glad to see the poachers go. When I was riding it last year, all I kept thinking was "what are these people jabbering on about when I am trying to see the animals." It just wasn't working for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

            Yeah I agree... that poachers section was the weakest point in an otherwise strong attraction. The last time I went on it, which was last year, it just seemed out of place. I think they should just have it be a safari. Why do we need this element of danger... Just take people on a nice safari. If you want, have the truck take you to the new area that is more hands on... Drop your load off, and pick up another group to bring back to the main loading area. when you are ready to go back, just go get on line at the new hands on area, and take a truck back to the main area. I think that would be better.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

              Yes,

              The poachers do nothing for me (the kids seem to like it though)

              I would like someone to explain to some of the drivers that slowing down is not the same as stopping.

              If you see some animals - stop. Even if only for 15 seconds. Slowing to a crawl for a minute is no good. The truck still bounces, making any picture taking impossible. Come to a complete stop, not for a long time, just a few seconds.

              -dave
              "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
              "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                Yes,

                The poachers do nothing for me (the kids seem to like it though)

                I would like someone to explain to some of the drivers that slowing down is not the same as stopping.

                If you see some animals - stop. Even if only for 15 seconds. Slowing to a crawl for a minute is no good. The truck still bounces, making any picture taking impossible. Come to a complete stop, not for a long time, just a few seconds.

                -dave
                I think the issue with stopping is even for 15 seconds is it would throw off the truck behind them and start a chain reaction that could very well unravel the fabric of the universe... ok well not that bad, but I think it throws off the timing of the ride for jeeps behind you... ALthough I think on days where the ride is not packed they might stop if they know you will get an amazing picture of something...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                  It's not the poachers, it's Miss Jobson! She can go. (and she will be)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                    The safari was starting to get boring and I never liked the stupid poacher subplot so the more changes to the attraction the better. I hope they replace the poacher scene at the end with one more animal exhibit before you drive back to base.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                      Are Big Red and Little Red still going to be in it? lol It would be the same without them and Wilson. "Simba One, This is Wilson." "Be on the lookout for poachers!" lol
                      Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                        As Parisi said, stopping even for a small amount of time can through off trucks, but it does depend on the driver. When days are slow we take a bit more time to slow for photos. And believe me photos are not impossible. Stops are not allowed, not for photos, and not to pick up any dropped items, and this is mentioned before entering the reserve. The only times trucks will come to a complete stop is for animals. I've sat in one spot for twenty minutes, because a giraffe just didn't want to move. Frankly it happens all the time, a certain giraffe likes to antagonize the drivers.

                        I hope that when you ride next time that you may get an animal stop so you have a chance for wonderful photos. When I was training I had to stop for a female giraffe who just wanted to meet everyone. She stuck her nose under the canopy and glanced in at my guests and I. And the best time to ride is during the rain, at least to see the elephants. Elephants love the rain and our babies are so playful, running about and splashing in the water. Two safaris are never alike, the animals are always surprising everyone.
                        ~My journey started in the Frontier of the Magic Kingdom, but my heart now lies in Africa. I will always belong in the wilds, be it the frontier or African bush country. I thrive on adventure.~

                        ::WDW College Program Campus Rep::

                        ::Spring Quarter Advantage 2007 Operations::
                        :: Kilimanjaro Safari Guide- Again!::
                        ::Summer Alumni Program 2006 Operations!::
                        :: Kilimanjaro Safari Guide::
                        ::Fall 2005 Quick Service Food & Beverage::
                        ::Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn Cafe
                        ::

                        "You reach a point where you don't work for money." - Walt Disney

                        "You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality." - Walt Disney




                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                          The only time I liked the poacher section was when the ride was previewing and in rehearsals. The poacher section actually had weight and some emotional response to it because Big Red was actually killed by the poachers. When you came up to the scene where Little Red is in the jeep, the corpse of Big Red was lying there. Of course Little Red was still alive, because poachers only kill for tusks.

                          Unfortunately some people thought this would make small children uneasy so it was cut. So the corpse of Big Red was cut and it was changed to the CM saying that Big Red is fine. Now the whole poacher section just comes off as fluff, IMO.

                          BT
                          22 is NOT my age (unfortunately)...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                            Originally posted by RockStarTink283 View Post
                            As Parisi said, stopping even for a small amount of time can through off trucks, but it does depend on the driver. When days are slow we take a bit more time to slow for photos. And believe me photos are not impossible. Stops are not allowed, not for photos, and not to pick up any dropped items, and this is mentioned before entering the reserve. The only times trucks will come to a complete stop is for animals. I've sat in one spot for twenty minutes, because a giraffe just didn't want to move. Frankly it happens all the time, a certain giraffe likes to antagonize the drivers.

                            I hope that when you ride next time that you may get an animal stop so you have a chance for wonderful photos. When I was training I had to stop for a female giraffe who just wanted to meet everyone. She stuck her nose under the canopy and glanced in at my guests and I. And the best time to ride is during the rain, at least to see the elephants. Elephants love the rain and our babies are so playful, running about and splashing in the water. Two safaris are never alike, the animals are always surprising everyone.
                            Then there must be CM's that violate the rules. I have been on where CM's stop to look at animals (no blockage ahead). Its only for 5 count or so.

                            As far as the queue is concerned, there really is not much of a difference between stopping for 5 seconds or slowing to a crawl for 20.

                            Maybe there are CM's who know the smoother parts of the road, but the last time I was on, it was impossible to take a decent picture of any kind. The truck was in constant random motion, and there was nobody close behind us.

                            -dave
                            "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                            "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Kilmanjaro Safaris

                              Originally posted by captsmith84 View Post
                              It's not the poachers, it's Miss Jobson! She can go. (and she will be)
                              Then the worst line in any Disney attraction ever will probably also go - "No one calls them Thompson's gazelles. They are tommies - toooommmmmeeeeeeeesss!!!"

                              Can't say I'll miss it. . .

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X