This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthdays at WDW. Any suggestions?

We are making plans for a short trip to WDW in February. My second son will turn seven the first full day we are there and we would love to do something special for him. Any suggestions?

Since we will only be there for a short time, we will spend one day at Animal Kingdom and one day at Blizzard Beach (which is the main reason we are going) but that is not written in stone, we are flexible and easy. We have been to WDW many times but never for a birthday, so I would love to hear your ideas.

We are going to try and stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We have never stayed at a deluxe before, only moderates, so if anyone has anything to say about AKL, I would love to hear that as well!

Thanks MiceChatters!

Re: Birthdays at WDW. Any suggestions?

Whatever park you chose that day (my suggestion is the MK just because) have your son walk up to guest services and tell them its his birthday. He will then recieve a special button proclaiming this, and CMs will will congradulate (or better give him a magical moment) the whole day.

Comment

That is a good suggestion Touchdown. I have seen people in the park with those. I will make sure we get one. Thanks for the suggestion.

And welcome to MiceChat!

Comment

Yeah definitely get a birthday button. You never know what kind of perks you might get... plus CM's will be hollering "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" at your son all day!

Comment

try to book a character breakfast...and make sure you tell them when you are making the reservation that it's his birthday. We went for our anniversary, and they gave us great souvenir placemats and brought us cupcakes with little Mickey sprinkles on top!!! It was great!!

Comment

as for animal kingdom lodge, make sure you have a room with some view of the savannah. It's quite nice to wake up with a giraffe near your window, espcially if it's your birthday
            "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

Comment

Thanks stitchy-poo for the advice. Do you have a favorite character meal? We have been to Mickey's breakfast at the Contempory, Princess lunch at the castle (2 boys, don't ask) and a dinner with Winnie the Pooh at the Crystal Palace. I heard at one time they were to have a character meal with the boy characters (Hercules, Aladdin etc) but have not heard anything about that lately.

Thanks wdw or bust for your sugestion. Is a savannah view worth the extra cost? This would be our first time at the AKL and I feel we should go all out. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Personally I think it is worth the extra cost. It is so nice to look out and see the animals doing all kinds of things and one of the main reasons to stay at the hotel. Hope you have a really nice time!
                Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

We are celebrating my DSs 7th birthday while we are there next month too :thumbup: . He wanted to eat with Goofy so we are having dinner at Chef Mickey's. He also wanted to eat at Pinnochio's Village Haus, so that is where we are having lunch. When we first started planning this, he said he got to pick all the rides on his birthday, but then decided, on his own, that since he was turning 7 he would get to pick 7 rides. We can go with that. The only problem is that we are staying in the MK that day and the rides he has picked are in all different parks :blush: . We haven't been there before so he doesn't get it that you can't just park hop whenever you want like you can at DL. I'm sure it will work out though. Who can't have a great birthday, no matter what they do, when it is celebrated at WDW?

Comment

What a cute story TTFN92! It looks like it may be Chek Mickeys for us too. I'll have to get a travel guide or hop on a web site so my son to look over the different eating places. Has anyone had the character meal at Animal Kingdom? I wonder how that would be for a birthday.

Comment

I don't know what your budget is, and if you are driving or not. I'd suggest staying at the Beach Club, which has a fantastic little waterpark of it's own. They also have a great character breakfast with Goofy at their restaurant Cape May.

I have never stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, I have been there. We had a wonderful breakfast at Boma. The restaurant at Animal Kingdom that has characters is the Restaurantosaurus. It has Donald, and other characters. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. The character interaction is fun, but I liked the Cape May, at the Beach Club better.

Of course it may be a lot cheaper to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge than at the Beach Club. The Wilderness Lodge near Magic Kingdom is also one of the cheaper deluxe hotels, and they have the Whispering Canyon and that restaurant experience is one, wild, wonderful time.

A lot depends on whether or not you want characters.

It is fun planning a birthday for a child. There are so many different ways that you could go. I am wondering what the temperatures are in February in Florida. You may want to make sure that Blizzard Beach is open when you are planning your trip.

Sorry, if I rambled here.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Barbara Ann. I believe Blizzard Beach is always open, except when lightning occures, but it would probably be a good idea to check it out. I thought AKL would be a good place since this trip we will be only going to BB and AK. I also heard the restaurants at the AKL are great and have wanted to check them out.

Thanks for the idea about Cape May character meal. We have been to the Beach Club to look around, but never ate there or slept there. I will have to check out Cape May on the web.

Comment

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is beautiful. We spent one entire morning there about two years ago. We ate at Boma for breakfast, and then roamed around the hotel after. I understand that their dinner is wonderful. Animal Kingdom is always fun. I have actually never been to Blizzard Beach. I have been mini golfing at the miniature golf course that is right next to Blizzard Beach. Winterland/Summerland is a lot of fun.

I know that you will have fun no matter what you decide. I hope your son has a wonderful birthday.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

I love the AKL!! I stayed for just over a week and had a view of the savannah. For character breakfast I would have to agree with Cape May. It's delicious. Chef Mickey's is usually extremely crowded and rushed whereas Cape May is more relaxed. I think your son will have more personal attention at Cape May.

Comment

We just booked our trip and will be staying at the AKL for three nights. My hubby booked a savanna view and went with the bunk beds (which my two boys will be fighting over who gets the top). We plan on eating at Jiko and Boma while we are there but have yet to decide where to have a birthday dinner. All of your suggestions have been great. I hope to come up with a decision soon so I can book the meal. Keep the ideas flowing! I really appreciate them!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X