• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedway
    Former Epcot CM
    • Jan 2005

Walt Disney Studios Florida

Hey everyone, just dropped in to let you know that in June when the contract between Disney and MGM is not renewed (this is for definite, Sony do not want it renewed), the Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed to the Walt Disney Studios Florida. I expect this will cost Disney a lot of money in changing signs and merchandise, and the MGM name gave the park a touch of class and showbiz - but does anyone know if the MGM references in the Bad Movie Ride etc will be changed?

Any thoughts on the name change? I think it would be cool if Disney promoted the park as a sister to the Walt Disney Studios Paris, that would be a cool connection.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Labuda
    Uber Disney freak! �O�
    • Jan 2005

I think it's a travesty to name the park anything like the above which may indicate to anyone that it's a working studio instead of a shell thereof.

As for promoting it as a sister park to WDSP - you DO know that WDSP is generally agreed upon as the WORST Disney park by those who've visited, right? No point in trying to play up being like that park, which is apparently even more of a joke than D-MGM is.

Wow, am I turning into the female equivalent of Otown, TDLFAN, & WDW1974?
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a :monkey:?

Comment

• BigDaddyKyle
      Miranda Lambert and Me!
      • Jan 2005

I think this will be a good change. Maybe they will have to refurb GMR. It needs some work.

Originally posted by Labuda
      I think it's a travesty to name the park anything like the above which may indicate to anyone that it's a working studio instead of a shell thereof.
      It is a sort of working studio. Splash 2, The intro to That's SO Raven, The Newsies, and more have all been filmed there.
      Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
      Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Comment

• Taggart
        Self Congratulative
        • Feb 2005

Lots of commercials are shot there.

Comment

• TDLFAN
          Banned User
          • Feb 2005

I don't know but...I don't think there is actual filming going on at the Studios at all. I know Universal gets a share of commercials, music videos and some garbage like this month's Wrestling Federation videotapings. But Disney? Hmmm....

Personally I am all for the name change. Walt Disney Studios is a better name. Hints to that have been going on for a while now... even the new Studios dvd just released, it's called "Disney Studios". Disney does not need the MGM name anymore to make this park any more successful than what it's been since it opened. The only concern for me is...how long before we can remind ourselves to stop calling the Studios... "MGM"?

Comment

• captsmith84
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

First off, I don't know where Speedway got that it's official, but that's just not true. It's still up in the air until Disney and Sony announce it.

As far as the name change, I'd be all for it. And the Great Movie Ride is under seperate contracts... so is the sci-fi dine in and the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Those are the only places in the entire park that use the MGM stuff. So, that's not much to change even if they do have to change it. And since they don't because it's all done in other contracts, the only thing that needs to be changed is signage and merchandise. So, don't get all in a frazzle. LOL. And for me... I've been calling it "the studios" for years now. It's actually what Cast Members are supposed to use for short. They are never to use MGM as the short name.

Funny thing is, the Central Shops went insane and printed hundreds of signs that say Disney's MGM Studios. Go figure. LOL

And there is one soundstage left that is used. LOL

Comment

• Taggart
              Self Congratulative
              • Feb 2005

Sometimes the streets are used for commercials. If I am right, there are still two active sound stages as well. I'm not sure about that though. And of course, they've been filming some sort of Indiana Jones movie out by the front edge of the park... but they've been filming the same scenes over for years... wierd huh?

Comment

• WDW1974
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Labuda

As for promoting it as a sister park to WDSP - you DO know that WDSP is generally agreed upon as the WORST Disney park by those who've visited, right? No point in trying to play up being like that park, which is apparently even more of a joke than D-MGM is.

Wow, am I turning into the female equivalent of Otown, TDLFAN, & WDW1974?
                Hheheheheheh ...c'mon over to the Dark Side, Labuda ... I'll go get my Darth Vader mask. We have more fun over here! :devil:

Comment

• WDW1974
                  • Apr 2005

First, Bill is right. No decision has been made as to whether Disney will get to renew the rights to the MGM name (which I hope it does). Disney does as well because it would cost them a bundle to redo everything that has MGM in the name. And, rest assured, it would have to be done overnight (almost literally). Disney wouldn't be able to take three years, three months or even three weeks where they got free use of the name until it could be removed. It doesn't work that way.

As to filming. Since the Feature Animation Florida was shut down, there's almost zero filming going on. ABC's All My Children did some filming there recently, although Erica Kane's 10th time down the aisle was recently filmed here in SoFla at the Boca Raton Resort and Club instead of say, Disney's Grand Floridian. That tells me something.
                  The syndicated version of Millionaire always does a few weeks worth of shows at MGM too. But in reality, the studio facilities simply aren't used and many aspects of a working studio that were there from 1988 on have been removed.

Comment

• KevinYee
                    • Jan 2005

You people are all stealing my thunder from next week's article
                    Kevin Yee
                    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                    Mouse Trap
                    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

• captsmith84
                      Banned User
                      • Jan 2005

Good. We can tell it better than you can. LOL. Actually, in all seriousness, have you heard anything for sure on the removal of the name? We're all curious Kevin.

Comment

• slowbee
                        The Mickey Follower
                        • May 2005

If Disney and MGM don't work out a deal, is there any studio that would want to take their place? I'm sure MGM got something out of the deal if not for the name association alone.

Comment

• KevinYee
                          • Jan 2005

Nope, no word, official or otherwise, has filtered down to my ear. I'm operating for the moment under the assumption that the MGM moniker probably will leave the park this year.
                          Kevin Yee
                          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                          Mouse Trap
                          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

• captsmith84
                            Banned User
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by slowbee
                            If Disney and MGM don't work out a deal, is there any studio that would want to take their place? I'm sure MGM got something out of the deal if not for the name association alone.
                            How cool would that be... Disney-LucasFilm Studios.

Comment

• Cousin Orville
                              Boss Angeles, CA
                              • Jan 2005

Why keep polluting the MK with Buzz and the like and just dump them where they belong...it would be more appropriate to be the Pixar-Disney Studios! Then they can have the "Great Pixar Movie Ride!" In another area they can have "Lights, Action Bruckheimer!" Stunt show. imagine "Lost" the ride, Alias the coaster and "Extreme guest makeover" by Sephora..woo hoo.
                              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

• slowbee
                                The Mickey Follower
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by Bill
                                there ya go.... How about The Jedi Mind Trick: The Ride. Or lightsaber rides (kinda like the VR ride at DisneyQuest). Good one!!!

Comment

• Labuda
                                  Uber Disney freak! �O�
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bill
                                  Why am I suddenly drooling profusely? :bow: :bow: :bow:

Better yet, combine with Cousin Orville's idea - LucasFilm-Pixar Studios, a Disney Theme Park.
                                  -Ann

WDW:
                                  July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
                                  Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

Comment

• Taggart
                                    Self Congratulative
                                    • Feb 2005

Isn't it ironic that the Disney studios have become a facade, a front of a working studio who really doesn't do any filming anymore.

Irony comes in the part that the gimmick of most attractions at Disney Studios use facades to bring in the viewer into simmulated reality(IE Catastrophe Canyon, the City facades, etc.). Now the Disney Studios try to portray the look of an actual working studio, when they are hardly anymore.

Comment

• WDW1974
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by KevinYee
                                      Nope, no word, official or otherwise, has filtered down to my ear. I'm operating for the moment under the assumption that the MGM moniker probably will leave the park this year.
                                      That's an assumption that's been going on at least as far back as 1995-96.

I still think Disney will pony up and pay to keep the name.

They'd be better to spend some money on fixing that place up, starting with removing that hat. Maybe they can ebay it. If John Stamos has any $$$ left after his divorce, I bet he'd be interested.

Comment

• Labuda
                                        Uber Disney freak! �O�
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WDW1974
                                        If John Stamos has any $$$ left after his divorce, I bet he'd be interested.
                                        Seems to me his wife would have more $$ than him at this point...
                                        -Ann

WDW:

DLR:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X