This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Movie Ride

This was always one of the big Disney rides I hadn't gone on that I most wanted to--and for a while people seemed to love it and talk so much about it--now it seems to be considered like a b or c ticket at MGM--by no means an E. What happened? has the upkeep been really bad? was it changed? just too slow for people now?

E

Re: Great Movie Ride

I think it's too slow for most people now. That and the fact that the ride has become dated. The most recent movies portrayed in the scenes in there now are at least 20 years old. Personally I think it's still a great ride, it just don't offer the thrills and chills that the Tower of Terror or Rock N Roller Coaster offer. That , plus the fact that the building is now hiding behind the hat and is often overlooked by many people. The Chinese Theater Building used to be an icon of the park, until the hat was built. As the icon at the end of Hoillywood Blvd, it drew people into it, now it hides like the red headed stepchild.

Comment

I totally agree with Ti2gr. I, for one, loved and do love the ride. Working in the movie theatre business and being a cineast of sorts, well, it's hard not to love a ride that commerates what is great about good old Hollywood.

However, for the Average Joe, the thrills aren't there and since most people haven't seen those movies--well, it becomes a slow moving, air-condition break for the day.

It is hidden behind that bloody hat as well.

There's also an 'acting' component that depends on the quality of your tour guide. If they have done it 1000 times already that day and our tired--well, it does effect your enthusiasm.

Peace,
      Roo
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

I sorta shy away from acting in such rides--i suspect this is why the great Cinderella Mystery Tour was discontinued (i've not experienced Movie Ride but I did Mystery Tour at a Jr High trip in Japan in the early 90s and foudn it great) As an old theatre major I know it's hard enough to make a great performance everynight--let alone every 30 mins

Comment

I've only been on the Great Movie Ride once, but I enjoyed it. The biggest problem for me is there are several times when we are "escaping" at a nice leasurely pace.

Comment

I think the most recent movie there is Alien, which was before my time. (Granted, the reel at the end shows movies as recent as PotC, but movie clips aren't terribly exciting.) Plus, it was really, really slow. I mean, beyond all reason. It makes Snow White look like Space freaking Mountain.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

Personally I like it. It's had it's wear and tear and the AAs aren't brand spakin' new anymore (ie, the witch), however, the ending film has been updated (early Dec 2005.) I think the show quality really depends upon your CM as well but most get at least an "E" for effort, especially when most guests aren't even listening, which makes it so you can't either.

Anywhoo....

-- paging jimmybop to this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
                Personally I like it. It's had it's wear and tear and the AAs aren't brand spakin' new anymore (ie, the witch), however, the ending film has been updated (early Dec 2005.) I think the show quality really depends upon your CM as well but most get at least an "E" for effort, especially when most guests aren't even listening, which makes it so you can't either.

Anywhoo....

-- paging jimmybop to this thread!
                I used to love this ride, but the effects are so outdated, and the CM's are a crapshoot with their acting abilities. the AA's are ok, but not great, however, and this is where I agree with piglet, the ending movie always gives me the chills. I love the music, and I love the clips of the movies... Now I wish they would update the ride itself with some new movie scenes.

Comment

Welcome aboard! At this time I would like to ask that everyone please remain seated at all time, and keep all arms and hands inside the vehicle at all time... For the safety of our cast, please refarin from Flash Photography and Exteral Video lighting.... now that we taken care of business... lets talk about me... My name is......

oh wait.... This is the post, not the ride.....

So I'll admit.. I wasnt a huge fan of the ride before.... but since I worked there... it is awesome... There is so much stuff in there hidden and what not, I always learned something new about the ride each day i was there. I always joked with the guest though when we got stuck that "This is Disney's top line technology.... for 1989...."
                  Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

Comment

for what it's worth, I love the great movie ride, it brings back lots of memories of exactly what it's name is Great movies. the only part I would change would be alien. I would put some other sci fi movie in there, not sure what MGM is affliated with though.

Comment

I've only been there once--second time coming in early March--but I love the movie ride; and indeed, because of its Hollywood theming, all of MGM. I think you really do have to love movies to love it. Heck, any ride with a scene from Casablanca in it gets and A+ in my book.
                      Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
                      Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
                      Disneyland Paris: 2010
                      Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
                      Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
                      Efteling:2011
                      Lotte World: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Parisi View Post
                        the CM's are a crapshoot with their acting abilities.

I love this ride and this one will always be a must ride on every Disney World trip I do. My most favorite part of them all is the Wizard of Oz scene.

But, I wanted to agree to this quote. I have gotten alot of good acting. Especially gangsters I get; if I may add them. However there have been maybe only one or two that I felt had poor acting abilities and have felt I could have done a way better job then them. This one lady made me think I could have reponded way better to the Wicked Witch of the West ; then she did and then there was another time; where I felt this Bank Robber was a poor acting too.
                        Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

I, too, like this ride a lot. I agree that the quality of the cast members can be mixed, but I think the biggest problem is the lack of scene updates. Not that it would be easy for them to do... the sets are pretty extravagent and fairly compact together, so I imagine an update would be a fairly expensive thing to do. Most of the movies portrayed there, while classics, don't really relate to this generation of kids (sadly).

I'm not sure why people are complaining it's slow moving. The sets are so detailed, if it moved any faster, I'd miss it. I don't live in Florida, and rarely get to ride it, so I want to make the most of it when I do.
                          Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

DCA should've gotten an updated version of this ride rather than Monsters Inc.

Comment

If you get an enthusiastic CM, then it's a lot of fun. Last time I rode this though, my friend and I couldn't stop laughing because we could hear Tarzan hollering all way into the Casablanca scene. We were like, "There he goes again!" :lol:

Another time I couldn't stop laughing because the audio was out of sync with the Munchkin AA's in the Oz scene so it looked like a bad overdubbed Japanese movie.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X