This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very short walk at the MK

Well... today, I braved the 50F weather and took a very short walk at the MK. Hopped on the monorail (something I do not do often as I don't like being stuck on it for long periods of time) but I wanted to see the demolition derby going on at the Contemporary and the mono would be my ideal viewing spot. Sure enough...the backside of the North Annex building has already been demolished and all that's left is the frame that faced the lagoon... but most of the building is there still, so hurry and pay a visit and your respects as a major part of the original hotel is going...going...gone soon.
    Got to the MK and totally forgot they were having the Princess and Pirates Party (PPP for short). I of course, like to call it the Pirates and Wenches Party... Hehehe.. so I caught some of the workers putting up the decor for the party. Not sure I like to see them workers doing this type of work in full view of guests, as it takes away from the magic, especially for those guests who arrive at the MK early and stay for the event. Tickets were still available for purchase at Guest Relations and I managed to get a map for the event, which are nicely designed to look like treasure hunt maps. Very nice.
    I particularly liked the banners on Main Street. NO, they are just painted flats, but look closely.. they have lights and apparently light up at night! Cool! That is so TDL!! I appreciate the efforts here. I guess I will have to go back and take a look at night, but I pity those who are there tonight since it's in the 40s here in Orlando! Brrrr..
    Also I noticed some new (probably temporary) strobe light tubes installed alongside the railing of the people mover as you walk into Tomorrowland. The movement of the strobe alongside the railing give the area a nice kinetic feel.. I would welcome this if it was a permanent change.
    Sadly, I arrived at the MK too late to make it into the test audience preview for the Monsters Inc Laugh Comedy Club. The guests who were lucky to "test" the show were coming out about 10 mins later, and for some reason were being handed out some type of FP-like coupon.. but I tried to inquired about that to a CM, who didn't care to volunteer much info other than.."we just had a test of the show", and that was it.
    With no such luck at the MK, I left and went to DTD for a while, and went to World of Disney to see what was up. I did see a new prop of Cinderella Castle that sits in the middle of the main room (where the large TV screen hangs up above). The prop lights up the castle just like the real thing does at night at the park. That was very cool and I want this castle in my Disney Room collection like, now. I also happen to go to Once Upon a Toy, and that was the only place that had the Nemo Musical CD on sale for $13.83 including tax. They only had two copies left. You can also get this cd music from ITunes.. for $9.99 in case you can't make it to WDW.

Here are 9 photos I took with my cellphone's cam.
    http://tinyurl.com/2rz2dz

Re: A very short walk at the MK

Thanks for the mini update, I personally can't wait for the construction on Main Street to end, you can't get anywhere during a parade.

Comment

What are they doing to Main Street?

Comment

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
        What are they doing to Main Street?
        Expanding the cafe and moving the crystal shop next door, but they have the wall all the way out to the street, so during a parade if its anywhere on Main Street your stuck and can't exit until it passes.

Comment

Thanks for the quick update!

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
          Expanding the cafe and moving the crystal shop next door, but they have the wall all the way out to the street, so during a parade if its anywhere on Main Street your stuck and can't exit until it passes.
          Anyone know how long this is going to take? We are going in six weeks...
          Originally posted by larasound
          am I the burrito man?

Comment

I believe the changes are supposed to be completed before Spring Break begins, whenever that happens to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
              Also I noticed some new (probably temporary) strobe light tubes installed alongside the railing of the people mover as you walk into Tomorrowland. The movement of the strobe alongside the railing give the area a nice kinetic feel.. I would welcome this if it was a permanent change.
              What these lights may be are lights the trace Tinkerbells flight during Magic, Music, and Mayhem. I have never seen these lights used during Wishes so I am guessing that they are temporary.
              sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
              Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
                What these lights may be are lights the trace Tinkerbells flight during Magic, Music, and Mayhem. I have never seen these lights used during Wishes so I am guessing that they are temporary.
                No, I saw those lights in constant motion during the Pirate/Princess party - it's not related to the fireworks. I mentioned them in my update too... they really do add to the area.
                Kevin Yee
                MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                Mouse Trap
                Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. However, I have never seen the light used before.
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                  Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

The guests who were lucky to "test" the show were coming out about 10 mins later, and for some reason were being handed out some type of FP-like coupon.. but I tried to inquired about that to a CM, who didn't care to volunteer much info other than.."we just had a test of the show", and that was it.
                    Everyone who helps test the attraction are being given fastpasses as a thank-you for giving the imagineers feedback for the characters & jokes. I believe it is a one-time use fastpass for any FP attraction in the park.
                    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Why thanks Mikey for explaining that. And Kevin, thanks as well for the added note about the strobes in TL.

Comment

I believe the changes are supposed to be completed before Spring Break begins, whenever that happens to be.
                        According to my syllibi, the week of March 16.
                        WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeekSlider View Post
                          According to my syllibi, the week of March 16.
                          Thanks! I really hope so! We will be arriving March 19. Spring breaks are so varied across the country. My daughter's is the week of March 19, which seems early.
                          Originally posted by larasound
                          am I the burrito man?

Comment

I did see a new prop of Cinderella Castle that sits in the middle of the main room (where the large TV screen hangs up above). The prop lights up the castle just like the real thing does at night at the park. That was very cool and I want this castle in my Disney Room collection like, now.
                            Why don't you get the Cinderella Castle, by Olszewski, which has the castle lights show?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
                              Why don't you get the Cinderella Castle, by Olszewski, which has the castle lights show?
                              It's not big enough for my room. :P

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X