X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ayeegit
    • Feb 2005

To rent a car, or not rent a car - that is the question

Family of four (two young daughters) with an up-coming trip to WDW next month. We're staying at PO:FQ, and booked our package with AAA. We were originally planning on not having a rental car while there, and just utilizing the Magic Express and the park busses.

But now we're going to see the shuttle launch, and that's going to take a car. If we just do the car for the 24 hours to get out to the coast for the launch, that's going to cost us about $60+gas. It turns out we can get a car for the whole 8 days for $160+gas. Seems like it might be worth the extra $100 to have the car while we're there - hoping some of you might have some input.

We'll have the AAA Diamond Parking pass, which I guess lets us park for free, up "close" at some of the parks. And with our two daughters (6 and 3), it seems like having our own vehicle to come and go as we need/want, and to assist in bringing stuff like a stroller and our bags (vs brining all of that on the bus everyday) might be a nice convenience. Kind of feels like it might take some of the "immersion" out of the staying on property experience, but we're going to be there over Spring Break, and we might be feed up with the crowded buses after a day or two.

Anyone tried both options, while staying on property, and have comments/suggestions?
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Re: To rent a car, or not rent a car - that is the question

We rented a car when we went in October.

There are a few things to consider:
    • Are you going to Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens? If so, you may want a car.
    • You can also use a car to go to the grocery store and stock-up on snacks, water, etc.
    • You are staying at a resort that only has bus service. While a good thing, you may have to wait for a bus, especially in the mornings, etc.

Honestly, we loved having a car. We used the bus system a few times and it was VERY hit and miss. One morning it took us 5 minutes to get to MGM (the bus showed up right when we went to the stop). Later that same day it took us OVER an hour to get to Epcot from the Carribean. We could have driven it in 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• sediment
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Get the car. Cut back on $100 of something else if money is that tight. One less t-shirt per party member, for example.

Comment

• mikeland
        World Traveler
        • May 2005

I would also recommend renting the car. It's there for you if you need it. You can use the car and the WDW buses in combination.

Also, if you're going to see the shuttle launch, keep in mind that there could be delays and cancellations to the launch.

Comment

• FantasticDuck
          Too far from Disney World
          • Aug 2006

I'd go for the car. We're considering the same thing for our trip in the summer. We don't want to have to wait on the buses and want the convience of if we need to leave park grounds we can.

Plus, if cost is an issue, I found out that since I'm a SAM'S club member we get a major discount on car rentals from lots of places. This appears to be true for COSTCO and other wholesale places as well. Some of the sites were giving me better rates then my AAA card was! I don't know if you're a member of one of these clubs or not, but if so it's worth looking into and might lower the cost further!
          With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

• Parisi
            I'll Break your Thumbs!!
            • Oct 2005

Usually I always rent a car... Normally when I go to Disney, I never stay on property, so I need a car... then again I always hit up other spots as well. I go to Universal, Sea World, International Drive, Old Town, ect... So I like to have that freedom of having a car... Also another trick you can do is go to a hotel like the Poly or Contemporary and tell the parking guard u are here for lunch and dinner and he will give u a pass to park, and then u dont have to go looking for a spot at the MK parking lot..

Comment

• Mouse princess
              Hello there
              • Apr 2005

We always rent a car. I like the option to go off Disney property. I also rather take the car than the transportation system. parking is free
              Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• evanescence4ever
                KING OF CABMF'S
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Ayeegit View Post
                Family of four (two young daughters) with an up-coming trip to WDW next month. We're staying at PO:FQ, and booked our package with AAA. We were originally planning on not having a rental car while there, and just utilizing the Magic Express and the park busses.

But now we're going to see the shuttle launch, and that's going to take a car. If we just do the car for the 24 hours to get out to the coast for the launch, that's going to cost us about $60+gas. It turns out we can get a car for the whole 8 days for $160+gas. Seems like it might be worth the extra $100 to have the car while we're there - hoping some of you might have some input.

We'll have the AAA Diamond Parking pass, which I guess lets us park for free, up "close" at some of the parks. And with our two daughters (6 and 3), it seems like having our own vehicle to come and go as we need/want, and to assist in bringing stuff like a stroller and our bags (vs brining all of that on the bus everyday) might be a nice convenience. Kind of feels like it might take some of the "immersion" out of the staying on property experience, but we're going to be there over Spring Break, and we might be feed up with the crowded buses after a day or two.

Anyone tried both options, while staying on property, and have comments/suggestions?
                ok, i would suggest a car while there. there is alot outside of WDW like international drive and other small amusement parks - plus, u might get tired of paying $50+ per meal for your family AAA is an advantage because you can park as close as kennel users can, which at epcot i know is merely feet from the main area where you get your passes checked. also, the buses may not run as fast as they could, and i once spent an hour+ waiting for a bus to MGM. so i would suggest a car, also because everything is within a mile or two of each other and your daughters may not want to ride a bus for eight days. plus there is ther "what if" factor and "safe than sorry" theory. because "oh, this" might happen or something that u really wish u had a car for, so i would definitely suggest it
                have fun at Port orleans, i have been there a lot, and is very beautiful, and they have these streams and bayous that make you feel like you are in new orleans bayous. i hope you enjoy the trip )

Also another trick you can do is go to a hotel like the Poly or Contemporary and tell the parking guard u are here for lunch and dinner and he will give u a pass to park, and then u dont have to go looking for a spot at the MK parking lot..
                i would like to reply to this: now i believe they have a list of the day's reservations, and you need to have spot for lunch or dinner at the poly or con or gra.fla. i would not risk it unless you really have a reservation, because that couls get very embarassing... dont risk that
                ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
                1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
                2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
                3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
                4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
                5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
                6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
                7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
                8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
                9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
                AND FINALLY...
                10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
                [:

Comment

• ragrobyn
                  SpitSpot!
                  • Apr 2006

We rented a car Over Christmas break and we were thankful for it at Park Closing. We were back at our hotel right away instead of wrestling with crowds for the bus. It was worth every penny. Diamond parking isn't available on "select days" On the back of the voucher there is a list of black out days. It doesn't matter though, tram will take you anywhere you need to be and not always to diamond parking because it is "too Close" . So at the end of the day my feet were tired and then we had to walk farther to our car.

AAA has coupons in their office to rent from Hertz. We payed $127 + tax for 7 days. We rented off property In Celebration (I think) We called them and they came to pick us up at our hotel. It was fantastic.
                  "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                  I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Comment

• DizneeProfitEar
                    MiceChatter
                    • Aug 2006

We have always rented a car in Florida. You will be glad you have it despite the cost setback. Usually you can get a good deal, so it evens out.

You'll enjoy the freedom your rental will afford you. You can eat offsite as well and save a bundle. If you need gas, buy it on Disney property at the Hess station. They're cheaper than the stations outside the park.

You can also leave extra clothes, big items, bags, lunch, etc. in your car trunk if you don't want to stuff non-essentials into a locker. This is a little more difficult when visiting the Magic Kingdom because of the distance to the TTC. But, for the other parks, it's easy to just walk out the gate to the parking lot and find your car.

Since you are a Disney Resort guest, parking is free everywhere.

Stick with your car when you want to get around anywhere on Disney property. The Monorail is okay for TTC to Epcot if you enjoy the experience of it, but it's better to just stick with your car and park hop to Epcot that way. When it comes time to go "home" at night, hopping into your car is much more appreciated than waiting for a Monorail to get to your car.

When we were there last December, the wait times for the Disney buses were 20 minutes or more. Scan some of the threads on Intercot or other Disney discussion sites and you'll see more and more complaints about the poor bus wait times that have become more common. Your rental car will afford you the most flexibility and time-saving, guaranteed.

Park-Hopping is very easy with a car and you can usually get very good spaces toward the front of the lots in the afternoon. A lot of people leave the parks during the day, so those prime spaces open up by the time you arrive at your second or third park.

We park-hopped a few times on our last trip and were very pleased with the time we saved and the ease of it all. Just take your time following the faded painted lines in the parking lots and read all the signs! If you're not sure of where to go, ask an attendant at the gate or a line-up attendant (in the mornings). They'll gladly point you in the right direction.

Here's a tip ... When leaving the MK to go to the TTC, take the Resort Monorail instead of the Express. 9 times out of 10 it is actually faster when the lines are crowded! It will stop off in the Contemporary on its way to the TTC, but will still get you to the TTC faster than the Express ... especially when the lines are crowded.

- Walt Disney

Comment

• BALASADA
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2006

The shuttle program as of late has been pretty poor for ontime flights. If you want to go make sure you get research on your location to watch it. Some spots on the coast fill up early.

Comment

• Snacks
                        Race Car Driver
                        • Jan 2005

It is so easy to get around in the Orlando area in a rental car. You will have a bunch of freedom. We put 900 miles on our car the first time we were there. The last time we were there we watched in horror as a lady had a "Melt Down" on the ferry going to MK, because the rest of her party was on the other side waiting in a bus area for her and the bus could no longer wait. She would have to make other arrangements to get back with her party. I remember thinking I was thankful to have a car.
                        Do you need car seats?

Snacks
                        Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Comment

• akfandisney
                          • Oct 2005

IF you get a rental car.
                          One: Do not drive to MK the parking lot is a long way for the park.
                          anyway you get on the monorail.
                          So first park in the morning at Epcot parking and take the monorail to
                          MK
                          or the bus but may be pack.
                          Do breakfast at one of the Epcot disney resort and then goto MgM or epcot park. Beach club, boardWalk

Two: Late at night at disney studio parking lot is hard to get out and disney bus ues the same exit.
                          I like to take the boat to boardwalk and take disney bus to downtown disney then to the resort.

do the same thing if you ae in epcot world showcase area use the international Gateway and one of the Disney Resort bus to DTD

Toy Story Mania construction:
                          Older photo
                          New Photo

Member of
                          MiceChat WDW Trip
                          Next trip
                          2014 Dec, 31

Comment

• Ayeegit
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BALASADA View Post
                            The shuttle program as of late has been pretty poor for ontime flights. If you want to go make sure you get research on your location to watch it. Some spots on the coast fill up early.
                            Well the launch has already been scrubbed, thanks to the hail damage the fuel tanks suffered a few days ago

But I think we're going to keep the car reservation - it's sure to be busy the week we're there (Spring Break) and it will be nice to have our own transportation.

Comment

• I like the old hub
                              I miss those 4 trees!
                              • Feb 2007

Smart choice! You always need a car at WDW! It's freedom.

Comment

• Rex
                                Former Starspeeder Pilot
                                • Feb 2007

Well I certainly do not have a ton of experience with Disney World trips, which it seems a lot of people posting do, but I've taken a couple of trips and I've had two different experiences.

When I was a kid we stayed off property and had the shuttle system, which I'm sure I don't need to tell you folks was not the best plan. Needless to say, when I went last year that was out of the question. My girlfriend and I stayed on property and just used the bus system, and I was very glad for it. It's convenient, and since you don't have to go see the launch anymore it's probably not a bad idea just to use the buses. Of course, if you want to go to other parks and to the grocery store then you know which option to choose. I don't think the wait for the buses was too bad, and it was nice not to worry about parking and sit in an air-conditioned bus after a long day at one of the parks (especially with that ridiculous humidity. Not too much of that in California).
                                sigpic
                                Walking in Walt's footsteps

Comment

• CleveRocks
                                  • Apr 2005

Now that you're not driving to the shuttle launch, you must ask yourself if you will have any other need or desire to leave Disney property. If you're not planning to leave the property, you don't NEED a car. Some people might be much happier with one, but you don't NEED one. It all comes down to preference.

I'm not going to try to convince you to see things as I do, I just want to expose you to it.

When I go on a Disney vacation, it's unlike any other vacation I take. I enjoy being totally immersed in the Disney fantasy. I like putting my wallet and my car key in the room safe and not even knowing they exist for a week -- God bless the room charge! I enjoy relaxing and leaving the driving to someone else. I have no desire to leave Disney property. I don't need to see or do anything in the Central Florida area. No offense to the locals, I just don't think I'm very much different from them, except that I own more swaeters and they have a better knowledge of really big bugs.

I love hopping on a bus when I'm tired, rather than concentrating on driving. I drive every day of my life, I enjoy having a week when I can leave it to someone else. I like getting in an air conditioned bus rather than a hot car. Some of my great memories from my WDW vacations are conversations with other people on the buses.

Just another perspective ....

Comment

• Snacks
                                    Race Car Driver
                                    • Jan 2005

By the way the shuttle launch is still on. At their site is shows launch in 7 days plus another on the 15 of March as well.
                                    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Comment

• theShineFamily07
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Mar 2007

GET the CAR !!!!! ..... here's a picture for you to think of ... it's late in the evening, you've spent the whole day in the park ..... now you head for the bus back to your hotel ( don't forget so is almost EVERYONE around you) .... you get on the bus, but it's packed and there's no where to sit .... so now you have two exhausted children who want YOU to hold them ................ that's exactly what happened to my wife and I when we first went with out 4 year old daughter .....

Comment

• Tracy98
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Dec 2006

We rented a car both times. Sometimes using the shuttle and sometimes using the car. The car was great b/c we would eat lunch on property, and then go off for dinner!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X