Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

MORE of original Epcot closing (Alfredo's)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MORE of original Epcot closing (Alfredo's)

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
    IMHO, Guests should ask questions and learn why that Fettuccine Alfredo isn't anything like what they make at home or get from the Olive Garden. Because what they are often being served in World Showcase, is the real thing. The real McCoy. The genuine article. While the thing they've been eating that's called Fettuccine Alfredo might be very good to them...it's just something else.
    Well I would not go that far about the fettuccine alfredo - I just had it this evening (you will all have to wait for pictures and a TR). Seeing as they were closing and this is their signature dish and I had not had it yet. (also had the "signature" cesar salad, and the not-so-signature tirimisu).

The waitress and I had a long discussion about it. It contains no cream at all, just cheese and butter - which we both agreed means it's a royal pain in the rear to make, as the sauce will tend to break or get very grainy without the cream.

However, we also both agreed that it is very rich, almost too rich. To me, its not balanced. There is nothing there to cut the richness. I suggested either capers or lemon juice. The watress liked the capers idea, but was not too keen on lemon.

Yes, I like to talk food, and like to discuss what I am eating with either the chef or the staff. I too have found that in Epcot the staff is pretty good for the most part about knowing what they are serving.

Oh, and I LOVE capers. Heck, even capers on ice cream sounds good (well, not really, but you get the idea)
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Uh...well...I think that's sort of because that's pretty much what it's supposed to be!

Even if you missed the signs on the windows that say "Brasserie"...if you happen to know what a Brasserie is, one look at the place even from the outside, would tell you that's what you're getting into. And once you go inside...and see how the staff is dressed and how the tables are arranged and the decor, etc, etc...

I think Les Chef de France offers an absolutely perfect representation of a classic Parisian "Brasserie"...which is exactly what's it's supposed to be!

Here's one definition of Brasserie:

It's design, decor, service experience...is the next best thing to being there and in a real Parisian Brasserie, IMHO. Even my European (including French) guests...think it's amazing!

Here are some examples of the "real thing." Looking at a few of them (like Julien Brasserie)...you'd almost swear you were looking at a picture of Les Chefs de France!

http://www.cometoparis.com/parisianbrasseries.html

This is just my opinion, but I think that many people bring their own pre-conceived notions about what a place is supposed to be in their minds, based on their limited exposure to such things and cultures. And IMHO that's the wrong way to approach these World Showcase restaurants.

IMHO, Guests should ask questions and learn why that Fettuccine Alfredo isn't anything like what they make at home or get from the Olive Garden. Because what they are often being served in World Showcase, is the real thing. The real McCoy. The genuine article. While the thing they've been eating that's called Fettuccine Alfredo might be very good to them...it's just something else.

They should ask why this restaurant is so noisy or why it doesn't fit their conception of a "French Restaurant". The staff are happy to educate Guests on what they're experiencing and why it's different and what it represents in their country back home. And then Guests can leave having had a better experience and perhaps now knowing exactly what a Brasserie is.

Guests should take these World Showcase restaurants as an opportunity to learn what it's like in those countries. But they should keep in mind that it's often not any one style or total representation of what their country might offer. But it is for the most part...authentic and a great representation.

And for those that already know about and have experienced the real thing before...the World Showcase restaurants offer reminders of those experiences and wonderful dining adventures.

And let's just hope it remains that way. Because if Disney decides to cater to the American masses and "give them what they want" with installing Americanized major chain operations...well then, the whole basic premise and experience of World Showcase will go right down the Seine.

You know what's really funny to me? When Epcot Center first opened and for many years after, many people used to complain that World Showcase was too Americanized. That it presented too stereotypical a view of the countries represented. That it made too many concessions to American culture. Well, if World Showcase gets "dumbed down" by offering the mass franchise Americanized dining experience version of things...I'm gonna have to start agreeing with those old complaints.
      I could not agree with you more!!!!! I would be so upset if Olive Garden would move in. I hate the Olive Garden, because it is such a disgusting version of actual Italian food. I lived in Italy and adore their cuisine. It pains me to see it massacred, and it would be especially upsetting to see it move into the Italian Pavilion, where people pay to get that slice of authentic European culture. I think most people would greatly enjoy and appreciate "real" Italian food, especially in a setting like the World Showcase where they're paying for those experiences. I know there will always be people that prefer the Olive Garden because that's what they grew up with, but I truly believe that most people would fall in love with the good stuff. I did.

Secondly, why would you pay to eat in an Olive Garden in Epcot when you can choose from any of the 30 that are present in any given US metropolitan area? Shouldn't our experiences at WDW be unique?

I understand Disney's dilemma, and I hope they don't take the easy way out. Some guests don't understand or appreciate World Showcase, and they're usually the ones that make the most noise about it. When i worked in the American Pavilion, I would get people coming up to me several times a day saying, "Thank GOD you speak American!! We were just next door in Russia (um... do you mean Italy, perhaps?) and we couldn't understand a word those people were saying to us!" They rarely got the country right and I felt bad for all the poor foreign Cast Members they had been dealing with all day. I just don't want those kinds of people determining the changes being made in the parks.

Sorry to rant... I just feel very passionately about Italian food and the World Showcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
        Well I would not go that far about the fettuccine alfredo - I just had it this evening (you will all have to wait for pictures and a TR). Seeing as they were closing and this is their signature dish and I had not had it yet. (also had the "signature" cesar salad, and the not-so-signature tirimisu).

The waitress and I had a long discussion about it. It contains no cream at all, just cheese and butter - which we both agreed means it's a royal pain in the rear to make, as the sauce will tend to break or get very grainy without the cream.

However, we also both agreed that it is very rich, almost too rich. To me, its not balanced. There is nothing there to cut the richness. I suggested either capers or lemon juice. The watress liked the capers idea, but was not too keen on lemon.

Yes, I like to talk food, and like to discuss what I am eating with either the chef or the staff. I too have found that in Epcot the staff is pretty good for the most part about knowing what they are serving.

Oh, and I LOVE capers. Heck, even capers on ice cream sounds good (well, not really, but you get the idea)
        There are many different variations on the Fettucini Alfredo Recipe. For instance, I have seen people incorporate flour into softened butter before adding it to the cream mixture. Of course you have more exotic recipes which include shrimp, and other various spices.
        Being Italian, I know that if one were to go to certain regions of Italy and ask for the said recipe, they would not know what you were talking about.
        sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
        Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by mollywood View Post
          I could not agree with you more!!!!! I would be so upset if Olive Garden would move in. I hate the Olive Garden, because it is such a disgusting version of actual Italian food. I lived in Italy and adore their cuisine. It pains me to see it massacred, and it would be especially upsetting to see it move into the Italian Pavilion, where people pay to get that slice of authentic European culture. I think most people would greatly enjoy and appreciate "real" Italian food, especially in a setting like the World Showcase where they're paying for those experiences. I know there will always be people that prefer the Olive Garden because that's what they grew up with, but I truly believe that most people would fall in love with the good stuff. I did.

Secondly, why would you pay to eat in an Olive Garden in Epcot when you can choose from any of the 30 that are present in any given US metropolitan area? Shouldn't our experiences at WDW be unique?

I understand Disney's dilemma, and I hope they don't take the easy way out. Some guests don't understand or appreciate World Showcase, and they're usually the ones that make the most noise about it. When i worked in the American Pavilion, I would get people coming up to me several times a day saying, "Thank GOD you speak American!! We were just next door in Russia (um... do you mean Italy, perhaps?) and we couldn't understand a word those people were saying to us!" They rarely got the country right and I felt bad for all the poor foreign Cast Members they had been dealing with all day. I just don't want those kinds of people determining the changes being made in the parks.

Sorry to rant... I just feel very passionately about Italian food and the World Showcase.
          Thats funny. While i was in Alfredos a table of four young girls (around 13-15 years old) sat down next to me. They started talking and I could tell they were from Canada. (I spent just about every summer in Quaticook Canada during my childhood - they were not French). They asked the waitress "do you speak French" and she said a little bit. They said "Thats funny, all the people over in France could speak French, it was really nice"

The waitress just sort of stood there with this pained look on her face.

-dave
          "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
          "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
            There are many different variations on the Fettucini Alfredo Recipe. For instance, I have seen people incorporate flour into softened butter before adding it to the cream mixture. Of course you have more exotic recipes which include shrimp, and other various spices.
            Being Italian, I know that if one were to go to certain regions of Italy and ask for the said recipe, they would not know what you were talking about.
            Thats one of the great things about food. There is no such thing as "Itilain" food, or 'French" or "German" food. The food varies so much from region to region within the country. A stollen made in Dresden is not the same as a stollen made in Bremen.

-dave

Comment

Just thought I would post, that even though a piece of the original EPCOT is leaving, I read on another board that there are a few retro EPCOT Center T shirts going up for sale around the park, one of which even uses the retro EPCOT symbol. There are 4 new designs, and one even says, "EPCOT Center" on it. The others in my opinion look less retro, yet they picture Spaceship Earth without the wand.

Perhaps things are being prepared for 25th anniversary retro merchandise? Regardless, nice to see a throwback to classis EPCOT.
              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                Thats one of the great things about food. There is no such thing as "Itilain" food, or 'French" or "German" food. The food varies so much from region to region within the country. A stollen made in Dresden is not the same as a stollen made in Bremen.

-dave
                true, but I'll take either one and Stollen is associated with Germany ( and Christmas) regardless of recipe --

German ( or germanic ) food is a blend of German regions, and Czech & Austrian -- just as my grandparents were, but it is all good. You can have two people from Bavaria and they might make a dish differently -- but in the end I still want to see German (ic) food In Germany and Italian ( which varies even more widely from northern cuisine which is much lighter and in some places closer to Austrian - vs. Sicilian cuisine...but I''ll take either. ( and Olive Garden serves food that defies branding it as Italian - McItalian maybe - LOL ! )
                " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

Comment

Uh...well...I think that's sort of because that's pretty much what it's supposed to be!
                  That's fine.. then I don't like that style of restaurant There seems to be this theme everywhere I go now where its fine to have a very loud busy atmosphere.

Last night we ate in DTD in the Wolfgang Puck place just to get some food.. and we were practically yelling like you do in a bar/club to hear the person across the table from you.

Even if you missed the signs on the windows that say "Brasserie"...if you happen to know what a Brasserie is, one look at the place even from the outside, would tell you that's what you're getting into. And once you go inside...and see how the staff is dressed and how the tables are arranged and the decor, etc, etc...
                  We picked it based on hearing it was a nice restaurant in the park. It was night.. it was very packed (I couldn't see any of the restaurant from the outside.. because it was all lined with people) and the breezeway entrance was packed to the gils with people. In fact, we waited for our table outside on the fountain.

And for those that already know about and have experienced the real thing before...the World Showcase restaurants offer reminders of those experiences and wonderful dining adventures.
                  I'm not quite the global traveler (only been to asia once.. and haven't been to southern europe..) but 'reminders' would probably be the limit I'd put them at. I've spent ages in Norway.. and the world showcase for Norway... not so Norway to me. Including the restaurant (but we only ate breakfast there, not dinner)
                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    Last night we ate in DTD in the Wolfgang Puck place just to get some food.. and we were practically yelling like you do in a bar/club to hear the person across the table from you.
                    Don't eat next door at Bongo's then. Because there wouldn't be any "practically" about it. You WOULD have to yell like that to hear your tablemate!

Comment

Don't eat next door at Bongo's then. Because there wouldn't be any "practically" about it. You WOULD have to yell like that to hear your tablemate!

Funny you mention that.. we did eat there the night before that (Tues night) and it was much nicer. We were out on the back patio, not inside. It was cold but we had at least 4 heat 'lamps' around our large group to keep us warm.

Didn't have any complaints about the noise/atmosphere there.. except the waitress we had wasn't the greatest.

Of course.. last week has been highs in the 60s in Orlando.. today I leave.. its in the 80s for the next couple days.
                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Here is a thought maybe they are leaving because they are getting ripped off by the evil DDP. When a family of 4 comes in on the DDP they only receive what ever the coupon pays compared to a family paying cash and receiving the full amount.

Comment

You must wonder why Alfredo's would pull out when the restaurant is one of the top 15 independent locations across the country ... there really can be only two reasons ... and they're both Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by VBdad55 View Post
                            true, but I'll take either one and Stollen is associated with Germany ( and Christmas) regardless of recipe --

German ( or germanic ) food is a blend of German regions, and Czech & Austrian -- just as my grandparents were, but it is all good. You can have two people from Bavaria and they might make a dish differently -- but in the end I still want to see German (ic) food In Germany and Italian ( which varies even more widely from northern cuisine which is much lighter and in some places closer to Austrian - vs. Sicilian cuisine...but I''ll take either. ( and Olive Garden serves food that defies branding it as Italian - McItalian maybe - LOL ! )

Comment

Originally posted by BALASADA View Post
                              Here is a thought maybe they are leaving because they are getting ripped off by the evil DDP. When a family of 4 comes in on the DDP they only receive what ever the coupon pays compared to a family paying cash and receiving the full amount.

Here's another thought: Go back and read Post #35.

Comment

Working...
                              X