Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

TDLFAN goes to Princess/Pirate Party (photos too!)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN goes to Princess/Pirate Party (photos too!)

Hello ALL! I just got back from attending tonight's Princess and Pirates Party at the Magic Kingdom (Mar 5th, 07). All of this may be water under the bridge since the parties have been held now for about a month and there is not much else to be said that many of you would not know... except for my opinion on this event.. Hehehe..

I went in with little expectations... and guess what.. I enjoyed the event very much. The night started beautifully (no clouds and temp in the low 50s) and caught "Wishes" from the Ferry boat as we sailed towards the MK. Yes, I did get caught up in the mayhem of guests leaving as those of us were arriving, but much to my surprise, the crowd flow was under control and entering the park was not that difficult to accomplish. Good job to those in charge for opening the gates facing the ferry boat, to avoid running into the guests leaving the park.

As I entered the park, a lovely red carpet with princess motif welcomed guests. The small plants with twinkling lights was a nice touch as well.
    Main Street buildings were colorfully lit. This was in fact a light show as building's colors would change depending on the music and the mood. There were also animated projections of Cindy's coach and skelleton skulls.. making all of Main Street very kinetic and fun to look at. The color lighting has been done before but this is the first time I see the buildings actually changing color on a constant basis. I have only seen this done at HKDL during their Xmas days.. KUDOS! Other areas of the park were very much lit with color spotlights to accent such features as trees and buildings throughout the park. Again... I loved it. (Does not take much to make me excited, does it?)

I also enjoyed how so many guests were in the mood to participate and dressed up as Princesses and Pirates. Seems to me the Pirates outdid the Princesses almost 4 to one. Many butch women wanting to be Pirates, and at least one man wearing a tiara. (You GO! Girl) Me...? I went "bi". So I had my "ARGH!" Tee with my light up Cindy slipper pendant. oh well.. Hehehe! One guest couple in particular was regal.. she in Cinderella outfit and him as a handsome Pirate.

Now..the shows. I could have done without the regularly featured "Dream Along with Mickey" (yawn), however... I did enjoy the parade very much. The Princess portion was lovely, but the Pirate's portion was better. I liked the new Tink float, and the glow in the dark Davy Jones. The boys doing the Flag twirling were fab (and some of them cute too), and I think they were the highlight of the procession. All in all, the parade was very nice and I would not mind seeing this done on a daily basis over the already stale ex-Snowglobes parade du jour.

Now on to the piece du resistance: the Fireworks show "Magic, Music and Mayhem". This folks was worth the price of admission. FABULOUS score and great use of color in this show. This is also the first time I see the perimeter pyro being incorporated into the show, rather than being used for extra "ooh/aah" for the finale. The mid portion of the show seemed "perimeter intensive" and it was great! I *loved*loved* how they used the castle in the attack act, with booming sound effects that could be felt on my chest! KUDOS!!! To top it off... Tinkerbell flies off at the most opportune time during the show as it hits it's high point. It was a perfect moment for Tink to appear. KUDOS again!!!

As for other activities... there were plenty of candy grabbing and beeds being handed out. The dance parties at some park locations were OK but mostly areas where kids could let the steam out. Many character greet/meet photo spots were OK as well and the lines short. I had my photo with Mickey in less than 10 mins. However, after waiting for 30 mins to have my photo with Jack Sparrow, I was a bit disappointed with the CM playing him. Not only did this guy NOT look a lot like Depp, he was playing Jack like an all-out, major-case... QUEEN. Everyone knows the character of Jack has that certain... je ne sais quoi that makes you think he might be... hmmm.. gay? But this fellow was playing him way pass that. Jack as the ultimate femme queen. I personally was a bit embarrased as it was way much overacting. It takes a decent actor to play this part, which requires a certain...way of being but also...a certain restrain. This guy did not cut it. Sorry boy, but at least it was nice trading "how to" mascara secrets with you. Regrettably, I didn't have a chance to have my photo with any of the Princesses this time around. However, where were the Princes??? Maybe next year, the powers that be should bring out the boys for meet/greet??? We wants the boys, argh!!

To finish... the only thing that took me aback was how low the attendance on this particular night seemed to be. I would take a guess and say there were no more than 10,000 guests in the park. Many areas of the park look deserted by 10pm, and lines were very very very short for rides, or at least they were walkons most of the time. Many places to eat were opened with hardly anyone in them enjoying a meal, like the case at the Harbor House where I ate. An Emporium CM told me that they have seen more people on other nights but all in all, it has not been Halloween/Xmas packed at all. He also confessed he has not heard anything about these parties returning in early Fall like some have mentioned here on other topics.
    Hmmm... When you could get a front row spot for the parade as the parade was about to start, you know the park was slow. It was painful to see how dead Town Square was when the parade went by.. just like it is the case at HKDL and sometimes at DLP during their daytime parade. As an added treat, I got to preview Monsters Inc Laugh Floor Comedy Club (my opinion on that on another topic). They also has a special Jolly Roger Scary Tale narration on the Riverboat, which ended with a peppy song. I was disappointed that nothing else was done along the river to enhance this story, which to be honest with you... I stopped paying attention to after like 5 mins into the trip.

All in all, it was an enjoyable evening at the MK and I am pleased to share my photos from the evening. Some are dark due to the low lighting conditions thru the park but I hope you enjoy them. Thanks.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32484040&f=
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 03-06-2007, 12:16 AM.

Re: TDLFAN goes to Princess/Pirate Party (photos too!)

Woohoo TDLFAN you are a good looking guy! Don't worry I am female ha~. Thanks for the report, the party looks okay.

Comment

Great pictures as always! Too bad I'm so far away from the resort. I would have loved to see the parade.

Comment

LOVED the photos, you take wonderful night time shots. I must say, after viewing your photos I feel inclined to go.

Great TR, I always love reading them.

Comment

I was there last night as well, but I was working. I did see the couple TDLFAN mentioned in his post and they were really cute. Her dress even lit up with fiver optic like lights. It was pretty cool. It is cool the way many of the guests get into it by dressing up as Pirates and Princesses. Last night did seem to have more Pirates than Princesses as TDFAN pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
            LOVED the photos, you take wonderful night time shots. I must say, after viewing your photos I feel inclined to go.

Great TR, I always love reading them.
            Thursday Night is the last one, for now, so you better hurry.

Rumour has it that the parties will return sometime in late summer just before the Not So Scary Halloween Parties begin.

Comment

Love the report and pictures TDLFAN! I'm going to the party on Thursday night, so it got me really excited for it!

Comment

Great report and pictures! I can't believe how dead it was! The themeing for this party looks better than the Halloween and Christmas parties to which I have been. I actually might have to try to convince my husband now by showing him your photos to do this party if it comes back in the fall.
                Originally posted by larasound
                am I the burrito man?

Comment

Great night shots especially those of the fireworks! Thanks for posting.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the princes around like Charming, they really need to use the princes more often
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Ok.. let's talk about the Princes.. Last night, the absolute catch was Snow White's Prince. Cindy did quite well herself. The duds... Phillip, and that was a shock. Aladdin was OK if you are into the Puerto Rican/philipino toasty look. As for Eric... well that darn wig is hideous.

Comment

Did you get a clear shot of Snow White's prince? I didn't see one in your album.

A lot of Phillips have been duds lately.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Magic View Post
                        Did you get a clear shot of Snow White's prince? I didn't see one in your album.
                        No I didn't! Some of my parade shots came out bad and his was one of them...

Anyways... I'd love to continue to chat but I am on my way to Osaka now for the opening of the new Universal Japan coaster "Hollywood Dream", and that should be another set of photos next week.. In the meantime, a reminder that my February 07 update albums from HKDL and DLP are also there for your disney viewing pleasure... Just use the link below in the signature.
                        Ta-ta!!!

Comment

ok, i need to get a tripod before i go to Thursday's party then...

and bring my sister 2gig card with mine...

if you like it, it must be good...

wait, they did a monsters preview during the party?

Comment

Holy hopping hallibutts! That Flounder costume is huge!

Cindy's prince does look like a catch. Me likey.

Love the moon behind Space Mountain. If you had a higher level of detail of the moon's face, I'd instently use it as a desktop image. But hell, it's beautiful all the same as it is now.

Now it's off to see your other album for me!
                            WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

I still think that there's plenty of princess to be found in the park without making an event over them.

The one redeeming factor to making Kiera Knightly a (totally unbelievably) strong character in the POTC movies is that it makes being a pirate seem feasible to little girls. You could have an awesome pirate event that appealed to both sexes without having this odd dynamic of the pirates and princesses where one only appeals to one gender. And everybody who's seen the Cinderella + Lights thing at TDL knows that a strictly princess event, while edged more towards girls, has enough room to be fantastic.

Fact is, I see an event called "The Pirate & Princess Party" and I say, "oh well that's what Disney has boiled down to now, nothing but pirates and princesses." And that's a little too truthful for my comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986 View Post
                                wait, they did a monsters preview during the party?
                                NO, I saw the show early in the afternoon and I was in the last group to be alllowed into the show. That was around 4pm. Did not preview during the pp party.

Comment

Thanks for your pictures from the party. It looks like you had fun meeting some characters.

GREAT firework photo!

Comment

Awesome trip report! I love seeing the Prince's there. They need to parade them out more regularly ...maybe Tarzan too
                                    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                                    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

I kind of miss seeing Tarzan as a parade regular. The dancing threw me off, but after a while, I got kind of used to it and liked it. He was like a family-friendly male stripper.
                                      WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeekSlider View Post
                                        I kind of miss seeing Tarzan as a parade regular. The dancing threw me off, but after a while, I got kind of used to it and liked it. He was like a family-friendly male stripper.
                                        :lmao:
                                        "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                                        I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Working...
                                        X