This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN The Weekend at MGM Studios - Photos

Well when I was in MGM last Friday, ESPN the weekend was in gear. The event basically takes over the area in front of the hat with a large stage.. parades some celebrities around.. adds judges to Sounds Dangerous.. films some live show segments in one of the show buildings.. runs some meet and greets with sports celebrities and adds a large interactive area behind RnRC. The celebrities and actual events may change from day to day.

The full set of photos can be found here..
    http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/disney/espnweekend

Here are some highlights

Here's the stage in front of the hat

Nice cheerleaders

Next we found the live broadcast of ESPN Radio on the walkway towards RnRC. They ran various talk shows and interviews from this stage through out the day

Next we wandered into the interactive zone. This is your typical collection of tent setups with interactive activities around the different sports. This would be right up the alley of any teen or young adult into sports. Things like batting cages, basketball games, etc. Basketball dominates the area and setups.

Here we are walking into the area. It was setup in a lot behind RnRC which you accessed by walking past the entrance to RnRC through an open gate in the park 'walls'.

Dicks is a big sponser and they had several baseball events setup.. pitching speed.. football passing accuracy.. timed running of the bases.. etc

One of the basketball areas (there were several)

There was several race car themes as well. Here was one of several indy car bodies setup with a racing simulator you drive from inside the car and watch the plasma.

Then they had a Dale Jr car. This wasn't a mock-up.. this was a real track car.

Hey.. who's that fat kid standing by the car!

Here were some more baseball events.. including base running and batting cages

Next.. you had some 'extreme' sports.. including ATV type stuff. They had these bikes that look like motocross but were peddle bikes. I didn't see it in action.. but I assume later they do some stunts or let kids ride them. They have a small dirt/hill setup.

Can't forget football.. here was some passing/catching drills

Another basketball stage.. setup to illustrate just how big NBA guys really are

So how tall are you compared to a NBA player.. well find out!

Well.. what about their feet? You know what they say about guys with big feet!

I got your number Ming.. you aren't that big!

Palming the ball.. how do you stack up to NBA hands?

Activities for the youngins...

Another NASCAR car.. ESPN this time. Another real car.. not just a fake body.

Golf was included as well.. but just barely. Just a few putting green type things
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: ESPN The Weekend at MGM Studios - Photos

I was at WDW this past week too. I was supposed to be at MGM to check out the ESPN stuff on Saturday, but was in the hotel room all day with a fever.
    I'm glad to see some pics though.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

:ap:

Comment

Overall.. the stuff would be neat to play with as long as its not real crowded and you had to wait forever for events. Luckly as you can see.. when we went through.. there was really no crowds or waits. But this was first thing in the morning on a Friday.

The event really didn't affect the park much except for the area around the hat. If you wanted to see some stars.. there were interviews, signings, etc. I wanted to sit in on the Sportscenter taping, they did 2 of them at 3pm and 5pm, but I was not able to get over there and didn't know how far in advance we'd have to wait.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I love how most of this takes place backstage in the Sunset area. That couldn't be done for Super Soap so it makes their crowds TERRIBLE, especially for the non-Super Soap guest!

It looks like you did have some fun so that's cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures! :cgrin:

Comment

BigPigletFan.. you didn't happen to be in the Blue Martini bar/club this past tuesday night were you? I saw someone I swore could have been you based on photos I've seen here

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
            BigPigletFan.. you didn't happen to be in the Blue Martini bar/club this past tuesday night were you? I saw someone I swore could have been you based on photos I've seen here
            Haha.. nope! :cwink: I was up here in Minnesota finishing my paper for my Wednesday night class, but I shall take that as a compliment?

Did you happen to photograph my :evil: twin?

Comment

Working...
            X